: New 4 post lift will be at my door on Wednesday..

10secvette
03-07-06, 12:48 AM
https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=28#specs

Katshot
03-07-06, 05:45 AM
Congrats. I take it you're not planning on actually doing much work on your car while it's on the lift though. If you've ever actually worked on lifts, you'd know that a drive-on lift is NOT very easy to work on for most common projects. In my last couple shops, the drive-on lift was always the one that nobody wanted to use.

fig32
03-07-06, 07:50 AM
Congrats on the new addition to the garage. You will love it. While a 2-post lift is better for working on the car, a 4-post lift will permit you easy access to lots of stuff. The ideal scenario is a 2 and 4 post lift in the same garage. Oh well, maybe the next house:rolleyes:

For the record here is what I have been able to accomplish on a 4-Post lift.

Installation of an STS twin turbo system on a Corvette Coupe.
Installation of several cat-back exhausts
Installation of tunnel bracing plate for vette
Installation of dimpled/slotted rotors and new brake pads
Installation of new shocks
Painting of break calipers
Installation of headers
Oil changes and normal maintenance.No question some of it would have been easier on a 2-post, but I also store my car on the lift in the winter. 10secvette, you will love it!!!:thumbsup:

Mark

Florian
03-07-06, 08:31 AM
Love the asymetrical 2 posters, but for the $$ you cant beat 10secs new lift. I wish I had a shop....

F

drivered
03-07-06, 09:03 AM
I was looking at the same one, but my concern was the door opening with a car lifted. Are you going to raise the rails? Or is you garage deep enough where it wont' hit?

Katshot
03-07-06, 09:10 AM
Here's one of my promo pictures from my shop. Note the 4-post lift. It's a 25,000lb. Ben Pearson. Off to the left, out of the frame is a 9000lb. 2-post asymetrical lift. I used them both for a long time and I can tell you that 4-post lifts are a real pain in the butt for "most" jobs (unless you have a built-in jack).

10secvette
03-07-06, 09:15 AM
Congrats. I take it you're not planning on actually doing much work on your car while it's on the lift though. If you've ever actually worked on lifts, you'd know that a drive-on lift is NOT very easy to work on for most common projects. In my last couple shops, the drive-on lift was always the one that nobody wanted to use.

I'm planning on doing a bunch of work on it. Since I bought the center scissor jack, I should be able to do just about anything I want. Yeah, I've worked on a "few" lifts, one or twice, but you are correct, it's not my first choice for a lift, but being in the land of earthquakes, a 2 poster is not in the cards for me. Since this lift will free up a spot in the garage, I'll have plenty of room and plenty of jacks and jackstands for anything else.

Garage doors rails are raised.

Dennisscars
03-07-06, 10:05 AM
If I had the coin, this is the one to buy..
http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/Product_Detail/Feature_Tour/Feature_Tour.asp
http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/photoGallery/PMU9P.JPG

Katshot
03-07-06, 10:13 AM
An "in-ground"?! NEVER!
Hell, there's a lot of places that won't even allow you to do in-ground lifts.
Here's the one I used. It can also be done without the connection across the top. I had one done like that before.

riverrat
03-07-06, 11:07 AM
I've got the Greg Smith Pro Jack on my 4 poster and it gives you the added lifting you need to raise the wheels. 4 poster is the way to go for regular maint. and many other services no adjusting swing arms to lifting points like a 2 post, just drive on!

SoCadillac
03-07-06, 12:04 PM
https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=28#specs
Congrats, please post how it works out for you, and any issues with size or garage space. Thanks.

SoCadillac
03-07-06, 12:05 PM
If I had the coin, this is the one to buy..
http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/Product_Detail/Feature_Tour/Feature_Tour.asp
http://www.rotarylift.com/Products/photoGallery/PMU9P.JPG
Sweeeeeeeet!!! :thumbsup:

Dennisscars
03-07-06, 09:58 PM
An "in-ground"?! NEVER!
Hell, there's a lot of places that won't even allow you to do in-ground lifts.
Here's the one I used. It can also be done without the connection across the top. I had one done like that before.

Way ahead of you my friend.. the new safe green peace versions have a cartridge that won't allow for ground water contamination. Does away with that pesky can't get out of the car door without bashing the door. Plus you can drive over it to work on other stuff. Bad news is that it's not so great for double stacking for parking purposes.

Katshot
03-08-06, 08:36 AM
I see no up-side to in-ground lifts.

1. More expensive to buy
2. More expensive to install
3. More expensive to repair
4. Not portable
5. Much less working space under lifted car
6. Cannot stack cars
7. Many municipalities will not allow an in-ground lift
8. Regardless of the claims, there's ALWAYS a chance of ground water contamination
9. Generally requires a remote air or hydraulic supply

Dennisscars
03-08-06, 10:07 AM
All true, but like I said If I had the coin and get me a Jay Leno garage, that's still what I'd buy...

Since it's slim to none that anyone here is going to buy a hoist that is way above the average consumer level.. it's all wasted cyberspace bytes..

If your going to dream.. dream big..:bouncy:

Kadonny
03-08-06, 10:13 AM
Nice lift, and they are great for storage.

I would have to get over my reluctance to store one car on top of the other. It gives me hives just looking at that setup ;)

BeastMaster
03-08-06, 01:22 PM
I'd love to get one, but I don't know how I would get the 2000Lb unit off of the truck - let alone into the garage. Does anyone have any suggestions other than trying to get a fork truck - (which there are none within any distance to me)?

10secvette
03-08-06, 02:07 PM
I'd love to get one, but I don't know how I would get the 2000Lb unit off of the truck - let alone into the garage. Does anyone have any suggestions other than trying to get a fork truck - (which there are none within any distance to me)?

I'm picking mine up from a local distributor (10 mins. from my house), they will load it on a car trailer I rented. I'll offload it with a buddy into the garage piece by piece. The posts are 125 lbs. and the heavy ramp is 350lbs. Should not be much of a problem, I'll post later today how tough it was.

Dennisscars
03-08-06, 11:58 PM
I'm picking mine up from a local distributor (10 mins. from my house), they will load it on a car trailer I rented. I'll offload it with a buddy into the garage piece by piece. The posts are 125 lbs. and the heavy ramp is 350lbs. Should not be much of a problem, I'll post later today how tough it was.

Mine came to the local yellow freight terminal and I had them forklift it onto my car trailer. I backed my trailer into the garage and rigged a come along to the main beam (sky hooks) and lifted the main rails off and assembled as I went.

10secvette
03-09-06, 06:14 AM
Mine came to the local yellow freight terminal and I had them forklift it onto my car trailer. I backed my trailer into the garage and rigged a come along to the main beam (sky hooks) and lifted the main rails off and assembled as I went.

My buddy and I had it off the trailer in about 20 minutes. Piece of cake.