: Very Slow S/C Install

2004ctsv
03-06-06, 10:43 PM
I started the installation this past weekend. At the rate that I'm working, I should be done by Memorial Day

Thursday night - put the car on ramps and jacks and pulled the PCM out.
Friday - FedEx PCM to Rick. I plan to have a SteathV PCM for running around and a Maggie tune for inspection tests
Saturday - Pulled wipers off and ground down tab, drank a couple beers, put band aids on fingers, G/D wiper arms, stupid ass grinder
Sunday - put wiper assembly back in, took off the tower brace, a little red wine while admiring the work
Monday - cut LS6 off old tower brace and glued on to new tower brace

Heading down to Houston for the rest of the week

Maybe I'll do a little more next Saturday

Maybe I'll have my PCM's back by then

Tony

DILLIGAF
03-06-06, 10:52 PM
By your post I would shoot for Labor day,Like I always say"never put anything off today that you can do tomorrow"

Florian
03-06-06, 10:52 PM
Good Luck, Tony....we need an Steel Town GTG this year. BTW, my band is opening for Donny Iris at the Chevy Amphitheater this summer.

F

2004ctsv
03-06-06, 11:05 PM
Good Luck, Tony....we need an Steel Town GTG this year. BTW, my band is opening for Donny Iris at the Chevy Amphitheater this summer.

F

Thanks
I think we can arrange something this summer. Let me know some dates to work with.

heavymetals
03-06-06, 11:17 PM
The hardest part is removing the crank bolt (they say heating it up with a torch helps a lot).

Pinning the pulley is duck soup with a good drill motor.

MOD HELL.

Dennisscars
03-06-06, 11:43 PM
Listen to the drive by a couple dozen times with the volume at full and you will be well motivated...:highfive:
:spin: :spin:
http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/cadillac/default.htm

stkshkr
03-07-06, 03:04 AM
2004 CTSV
Been there, done that........probably over 30 cuts on the hands, you have more to go, change the plugs while you're doing the install, should increase the frustration dramatically.....LOL

trukk
03-07-06, 07:05 PM
Thanks
I think we can arrange something this summer. Let me know some dates to work with.

Hmm, I smell a training camp get together (in more ways than one)

-Chris

Go Steelers

urbanski
03-07-06, 08:15 PM
MOD HELL.
LOL VALVES

2004ctsv
03-13-06, 08:25 PM
Got back on Saturday and started work again on Sunday

I'm up to the point where I have to disconnect the radiator.

Is there a clean way to drop the antifreeze out? I don't see a drain cock like older cars with all metal radiators. Am I missing something here?

No surprises to this point. Scraped knuckles and a couple nicks but otherwise, not too bad.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Tony

Dennisscars
03-13-06, 09:17 PM
None that I saw, just the ole pull the bottom hose and coolant down the back of your arm trick...

stkshkr
03-13-06, 09:23 PM
:yeah:

2004ctsv
03-13-06, 10:05 PM
That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks, guys

wildwhl
03-13-06, 11:29 PM
Loosen the lower radiator hose clamp. Take a small (1/8" ID or so) piece of brass/copper/aluminum tubing (or borrow a hollow valve stem from HeavyMetals :histeric: ) and wiggle it in between the hose to create a drain. Connect some vacuum line or other hose to the tubing if the fluid isn't going where you want it to. A long screwdriver works too - just a bit more messy.

Take off the over fill cap and/or disconnect another hose up high to relieve pressure. Takes a few minutes to drain, but no mess is necessary.

WW

Dennisscars
03-13-06, 11:31 PM
See... that's why :worship: wild is a Man among men....

wildwhl
03-13-06, 11:42 PM
I've also seen a small vacuum pump used to extract most all fluid from the top of the radiator - but have never tried it. I prefer the slow drain method above myself.

WW

heavymetals
03-13-06, 11:46 PM
I would offer a hollow valve stem, but they are bent............

wildwhl
03-14-06, 12:53 AM
Bent valve stem would be easier to wiggle in place ;)

Maybe just some brass tubing and fuel line from your "model airplane" habit :thumbsup:

WW

2004ctsv
03-14-06, 09:25 PM
Bent valve stem would be easier to wiggle in place ;)

Maybe just some brass tubing and fuel line from your "model airplane" habit :thumbsup:

WW

I followed you advice - 1/4 inch plastic tubing (impulse line for pnuematic controls) shoved in the top then bottom hose connections - very little antifreeze on the garage floor.

Thanks for the tip

Tony

wildwhl
03-16-06, 12:49 AM
Tony -

So, the drain was undoubtedly slow - but how slow - do you know? Seems like it took about 20 minutes last time, but I don't recall.

WW

lonestranger
03-16-06, 02:59 PM
Do you mean you don't have a rotissarie in your garage, so that you can just remove the radiator cap and turn the V over. That way you can drain it right into a jug, don't ya know!!:bouncy:

2004ctsv
03-16-06, 08:20 PM
Draining the rad and hoses to 10 to 15 minutes.

The radiator had two strips of rubber (?) material that was riveted on both sides to the car. My guess is that this keeps air from bypassing the rad. I could pop the rivets but I have no idea how I will get the two strip reconnected. My hands won't fit.

I gotta go to Sears and buy an impact socket to fit the harmonic balancer bolt. I hope the impact wrench w/ 100 psi air does the trick.

That will wait till next week. Unfortunately, my wife is Irish and my kids think they are too. So, it's up to Happy Valley to spend St Paddy's Day and the weekend. And St Patrick wasn't Irish either.

Tony

Dennisscars
03-16-06, 09:10 PM
I gotta go to Sears and buy an impact socket to fit the harmonic balancer bolt. I hope the impact wrench w/ 100 psi air does the trick.

:histeric: :cookoo:

ronr
03-16-06, 09:41 PM

I tried that with my install and it didn't work (I actually hooked up 3 air compressors...at the same time...and tried 4 different impact wrenches to no avail)

Put it in gear, set the brake and use a breaker bar :want:

wildwhl
03-16-06, 09:51 PM
Long pipe + 1/2" breaker bar. Don't use a cheap one - it will break. Craftsman or better.

2004ctsv
03-16-06, 10:02 PM
But, but, but the instructions say to use an impact wrench.:crying:

They couldn't be wrong, could they?

T

heavymetals
03-16-06, 11:32 PM
From the LS1 tech forum, they say heating up the bolt first makes it a lot easier to remove.

I ended up using a six foot breaker bar.:thumbsup:

Impact shimpact, it didn't work.

stkshkr
03-16-06, 11:48 PM
Impact wrench.......No Good
1/2" breaker bar and big pipe on it................Good
PIA
Wait till you get to do the 140 degree torque angle when you put it back on. See Good above

wildwhl
03-16-06, 11:51 PM
stkshkr -

How do you think I broke my stock aribox :nono:

WW

stkshkr
03-17-06, 12:17 AM
I thought I broke my arms.......LOL
I think 140 degrees equals 1786 lbs of torque

2004ctsv
03-25-06, 03:33 PM
I was out of town last week and going to visit the land of the Urban Cowboy and Tookies, the best burger in the world, all next week so I only had a little time today to work on the install.

Using a 3 foot piece of 3/4 inch steel pipe as a cheater on a 1/2 inch braker bar, I got the harmonic balancer bolt out. The holes drilled clean and I pinned the balancer per instructions. Torqued the new bolt to 40 then turned another 140. Used the same cheater and a strong back.

I spliced a couple wires and it's now time to clean up. I have some private stock tuscan chianti that will complete dinner this evening and help the tylenol for my back.

T

heavymetals
03-25-06, 06:07 PM
Congrats!

That was the hardest part (to me).

Everything else went smooth (except when I melted the bearing on the windshield wiper connecting arm as I ground on the wiper arm :mad: ).

Save your old intake manifold for sale.

You can get almost $500 for it.:thumbsup:

2004ctsv
04-12-06, 10:18 PM
Just about finished the maggie installation tonight. The bottom plastic cover is still on the floor. The PCM with the StealthV tune isn't in yet either.

But I had to take it out to check for leaks and such.

What the hell do I need first gear for now?? Even taking it very easy, I feel the tires trying to break loose.

Time for a shower and some dinner. Tomorrow should be fun.

T

heavymetals
04-12-06, 10:52 PM
Congrats!

I am suprised you didn't use it as an excuse to go out and get dinner, or at least desert..:stirpot:

WHOO YA.

Like owning your own ride at Six Flag's.:thumbsup:

wkdivr
12-10-06, 02:40 PM
any updates???

2004ctsv
12-12-06, 08:11 PM
any updates???

I was surprised to see this. I've been pretty busy w/ work and haven't spent much time on line

I finished it up last spring and took about 500 miles to burn my F1's down to slicks. I have one of Rick's tunes and find the car to be extremely responsive.

I haven't taken the V back to the track since the s/c install but should have time when they start running Flat Out Fridays again in the spring. I have enough tread on the supercars for dry track runs. I have all season Yoko Advans now and they are sloppy in the bends. Not worth using them at Beaverun.

The car has been put away for the winter with a dust cover and trickle charge to keep the battery alive. It will be ready when the snow and salt are gone next spring.

wkdivr
12-18-06, 09:31 AM
Hey....you get a chance, drop me an e-mail : wkdivr@iname.com I don't have enough posta to PM, yet.

I'm the one you were e-mailing back and forth with when you were getting ready to do the install. I was in Afghanistan from Feb till Sept., so I kind of lost touch. Always good to keep in touch with someone local.

Bill Simpson

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 07:44 PM
Good luck

dvandentop
12-18-06, 08:08 PM
shit you and me both to getting my car up and running by then!