: Best Car Deal You Ever Missed Out On

CoupeDevilleRob
03-06-06, 09:36 PM
Who has ever missed out on a killer deal on a killer car? My personal tale of anguish revolves around a Grand National. It was an 87, with about 70,000 miles, really clean and the only modification was a mod chip. A guy in my neighborhood was selling it, he was asking $8,000. This was about 3 years ago and I had no meaningful form of employment. The car was for sale all summer, he eventually sold it for $6,500 cash. $6,500 for a clean, unmodified GN! Damn my unemployment! If I came across that deal today it would be sitting next to my Coupe Deville. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it now.

My dad really blew it. His friend had a 1965 Impala 396SS that he nearly completed restoring. By nearly complete I mean it needed trim and bumpers installed and some interior work. His friend was moving to Colorado and couldn't take the car with him, he offered it to my dad for $5,000. In his infinite wisdom he turned it down, I still haven't figured out why (I don't think he has either). I want to kick his ass everytime I think about it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-06, 09:43 PM
When I was 16, I found this 1987 Brougham for $1000. It had 61k miles, it was navy blue, with the navy blue cloth interior, and it had just a bit of rust on top of the trunklid, and on the rear quarter panels. It was a pretty damn good deal. But I didnt get it because I didnt have my licence yet, and my parents at the time hated Cadillacs.

noahsdad
03-06-06, 09:58 PM
Back in High School, about 1976, a good friend picked up '69 Hurst SC/Rambler. Completely original, low miles, really fast. He fell on hard times a few months later and offered it to me for $500. I thought it was a gaudy clown car at the time and passed.

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/AmericanMotors/1969HurstSC-Rambler.jpg

The following spring, he got a job and decided to keep the car. Unfortunately, he also decided to paint it dark blue, jack up the ass end, and put some ridiculously wide tires on it. By the end of the summer, he'd torn out the pinion gear, a tranny, and finally blew the engine. It went to the junkyard that winter.

What kills me is, when these things show up today in original condition with matching numbers, they bring 25-40 Gs easy.

(Palm slaps forehead) Damn, if my foresight was half as good as hindsight.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-06, 10:12 PM
Eh....Thats not nearly as much as some muscle cars of equal rarity are worth nowadays....it must be because its an AMC! Hah!

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 10:49 PM
:(

Well, on the good note, it didn't "get away"

on the bad note she was totaled a bit less then 2 years after I owned her :(

$300.

Best. Highway. Car. EVER.

http://inoventionseast.com/1979%20DeVille/79-2.JPG

Its because of those 4 words above, I want another '79 so much. The amount of fun, comfort and pure joy I got from driving 1,400 miles in 36 hours from NY to FL was unbelieveable, the Coupe dosn't even come remotely close in that aspect. if you have the money for 16mpg on the open road, you have enough money for some of the best cross country traveling you could ever ask for.

I miss her more now.

Other car that got away was a very nice '59 4 door, good interior, good engine/trans, needed body work and paint... solid, complete.... $5,000.

noahsdad
03-06-06, 10:57 PM
Eh....Thats not nearly as much as some muscle cars of equal rarity are worth nowadays....it must be because its an AMC! Hah!

True enough, but for a $500 buyout, if it sold for 20G it would be a 4000% percent return on investment. Not bad.

davesdeville
03-07-06, 04:42 AM
Hmm mine's not very dramatic.

I went to one of those "slasher sale" things at a used car lot, where they jack up the prices a redonkulous amount then bring them back closer to normal. Well they usually have one kind of beater car for $88 or so. My friend got a 94 Corsica 3.1V6 for $88, and that turned out to be a kick ass car - I got my ETC later instead, but I wouldn't have minded having the Corsica to roll around in as a secondary car. My friend later went to another one of these slasher sales and got a 91 Park Avenue for $88, ended up being more like $200 after fees and crap, but it was immaculate except for rust on the rocker panels (nowhere else though, it was odd.)

Elvis
03-07-06, 11:24 AM
About three years ago my father-in-law sold his pristine gold '95 Jag XJ-S convertible for $14,000. I passed on it because I can't stand the sonofabitch. No other reason.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-07-06, 12:11 PM
when i was in high school there was an old lady down the road who suddenly parked a metallic orange 1979 buick regal in her driveway, the interior if i remember right was white or a very light tan cloth and it was in perfect condition, 70,000 granny miles and no dings dents fading or rust, she said (and her son confirmed) that she wanted 800 bucks for it. of course i was in between jobs at the moment and even if i had had a job wasnt bein paid enought to buy it, so it got gone

next example is more of a robbery than a missed deal

we found an 86 buick regal, olive green perfect everywhere for 1100 dollars, 40000 miles, we said "we'll be back tuesday with the money" and gave our friends the news. monday one of my friends rolled up in it, he had bought it out from under me

how ****ed up is that?

mccombie_5
03-07-06, 12:18 PM
When I was 15, just before I left school a week after my 16th birthday, my Grandad gave me 500. I saw this '92 Jaguar XJ6 Soveriegn 4.0 on a guy's front lawn near my dad's house. It was silver-grey, absoloutely immaculate condition, not a bit of rust, all electrics in working order, had been serviced on the dot by a Jaguar Dealership since it was new, and it had only 47,000 miles on it. I got my dad to come and look at it with me, and he asked why the man was selling it, he pressed a button on the key fob and his garage door opened, inside was a brand new XJ8 parked next to a lovely '99 Rover 600.

My dad asked him what the lowest he would take was, he said he just wanted it off his lawn because he had no room for it, so he said we could drive away in it for 150. I'm not sure what I would have done with it, because I would never be able to insure or fuel it, but I wish I'd bought it. I decided to put the money into a trust until I'm 21 instead.

Looked identical to this one:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/xj40_02.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
03-07-06, 01:21 PM
When I was 15, just before I left school a week after my 16th birthday, my Grandad gave me 500. I saw this '92 Jaguar XJ6 Soveriegn 4.0 on a guy's front lawn near my dad's house. It was silver-grey, absoloutely immaculate condition, not a bit of rust, all electrics in working order, had been serviced on the dot by a Jaguar Dealership since it was new, and it had only 47,000 miles on it. I got my dad to come and look at it with me, and he asked why the man was selling it, he pressed a button on the key fob and his garage door opened, inside was a brand new XJ8 parked next to a lovely '99 Rover 600.

My dad asked him what the lowest he would take was, he said he just wanted it off his lawn because he had no room for it, so he said we could drive away in it for 150. I'm not sure what I would have done with it, because I would never be able to insure or fuel it, but I wish I'd bought it. I decided to put the money into a trust until I'm 21 instead.

Looked identical to this one:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/xj40_02.jpg

dumbass, you had 500, you could have bought it, stored it, and still put 450 in that trust

jk, your not a dumbass but still not a very well though out move

Adam
03-07-06, 01:32 PM
i missed out on a Corvette. ok so just before i wrecked my Fleetwood i drove by a small dealership that had a 98 Corvette ZO6. i stopped and looked at it and after a lot of talking they let me test drive it (with the salesman of course). they wanted 25k for it. well i was looking for an everyday driver at the time anyway so that was the car i was going to get. well then i wreck the Fleetwood. i go to the Cadillac dealership in the 89 Deville and the serpentine belt blows. so i get out and look at it and they take it to the garage. well i look at an EXT and an Escalade. EXT was diamond white and the Escalade was black. well then there sits my baby, i love CTS'. i completely forget about that Corvette, i dont know how but i did. i bought the CTS for the same price as the Corvette would have been. well actually we talked them down on the CTS from 30k to 24,6k. well a few days later i drive by that dealership and there that Corvette is and i just shook my head and drove on. i love my CTS and i dont regret one bit getting it, i just cant believe i forgot a damned Corvette! these Cadillacs have that affect on me.

noahsdad
03-07-06, 02:05 PM
i just cant believe i forgot a damned Corvette! these Cadillacs have that affect on me.

If you ever have to take a long road trip, your ass and kidneys will thank you for it.

mccombie_5
03-07-06, 02:27 PM
dumbass, you had 500, you could have bought it, stored it, and still put 450 in that trust

jk, your not a dumbass but still not a very well though out move

350 :p

It went in with my brother's 500 too though so we dropped a grand in.

Dad was keen on the Jag, and he would have ended up with it anyway, he'd lost his '91 XJ12 to a divorce in 2001, and was missing it badly, he'd owned it from new, and it was a casualty of the divorce, along with a stunning home and another pair of new cars.

The man who was selling drove it about for a few weeks, then it vanished, I presume he sold it.

Although every time I go past his Rover 600 is in the driveway, so the Jaguars might lurk behind his garage door.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-07-06, 02:43 PM
o, whos the dumbass now...my math is bad haha

Katshot
03-07-06, 03:09 PM
Back in '76 I had the opportunity to trade a guy even up, my '70 'Cuda for a killer '65 GTO. The following day, my trans went and the guy ended up selling his car instead. He probably realized his car was worth more than my car and was glad to get out of the deal. It was gold with a black top and black interior. Real sharp

silver12r
03-07-06, 03:26 PM
Ok so just before i wrecked my Fleetwood i drove by a small dealership that had a 98 Corvette ZO6.

The Z06 wasn't introduced until '01.

powerglide
03-07-06, 03:32 PM
My dad sold his classic E-type Jag for a few hundred bucks back when he was young......the VIN ended or started with a M (turns out it was a pretty rare factory modified (M) version thats worth big bucks)

noahsdad
03-07-06, 05:15 PM
That reminds me - not really a missed deal, but the one that got away.

When my dad was 18, he was a mechanic at a little hole in the wall gas station. One of his customers was called into the service during WWII, and sold my dad his 1937 Packard roadster for $300.00, on the condition that he could buy it back when he returned. It looked just like this one, only red -

http://www.metroccca.org/05_Metro_BlkFrst%20%2810%29red.jpg

The guy never came back from the war. My dad drove the car until 1949, when he sold it for $200.00. In 1977, we were at a classic car auction where an identical roadster went through for $65,000. Dad almost cried.

sparkling3usus
03-07-06, 05:42 PM
How bout this one, My 94 sls got his in the front left side in my driveway. So i couldn't turn it in. About a week or so later there was a guy selling a 95 sls. Nice car 70000 miles on it. The only thing, it got hit in the back corner. it needed all the parts i already have. He wanted 500 for it. I told him i would give him 400 and walked away. Went back the next day cause he never called me back. He sold it! Hows that for being cheap....it was one hell of a deal and i blew it over $100. :-((((