Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hornyjuan 
#1 ·
I have a noise coming from the gas tank area. I am the wrost at describing noises, but it sunds like a constant humming. Like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It doesnt stop, the noise doesnt change tones, its just a constant hum, and it stops only when I turn the car off. Is this a sign of a pump going bad?

#2 ·
If your vehicle is running properly and not giving any check engine etc messages, I doubt it's the fuel pump. More likely it's the commpressor for the leveling system. It usually runs for several seconds when you first start up and make a buzzing sound. If it's running continuously you likely have a problem with the compressor switch or a leak in one of the shock air chambers or line connections.

#4 ·
mikeee said:
I have a noise coming from the gas tank area. I am the wrost at describing noises, but it sunds like a constant humming. Like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It doesnt stop, the noise doesnt change tones, its just a constant hum, and it stops only when I turn the car off. Is this a sign of a pump going bad?
Most likely your air ride kicking in. I know your putting in a bigass sound system so you'll hear it pretty much everytime you startup your car. The car is just leveling the rear load because you have an extra 500lb's of gear in the back!

#6 ·
mikeee said:
I hope youre right hornyjuan, i didnt think about that, I do have some weght back there now and it never really had any before.
I was wondering the same thing when I first installed my system. If you check, you'll actually see your rear raise up and level. And the "zzzz" sound is exactly what it sounds like. If not, try starting up your car without the box...then add the box back in and see if it kicks in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.