: Sharp Limo

N0DIH
03-06-06, 01:51 PM
I was digging around for a limo VIN to look up the Limo sway bar p/n's and came across this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-LIMO-1-Of-A-Kind-ONLY-48-000-MILES-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4616048433QQcategoryZ6149QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice ride....

Katshot, look at the picts, is this underhood typical of these conversions? Or was this how GM delivered them??

LaneWvr
03-07-06, 06:49 PM
wow!

Katshot
03-08-06, 09:40 AM
I was digging around for a limo VIN to look up the Limo sway bar p/n's and came across this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-LIMO-1-Of-A-Kind-ONLY-48-000-MILES-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4616048433QQcategoryZ6149QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice ride....

Katshot, look at the picts, is this underhood typical of these conversions? Or was this how GM delivered them??

Yeah, hate to say it but that IS a typical underhood layout. Each coachbuilder had a slightly different "take" on how to do one but this one is fairly typical.
Damn, could that guy post anymore friggin' pictures!
This car is what was known as a 24-hour car. In other words, a company could use it for funerals during the day and then flip the seat and use it as a standard limo at night. Funeral customers traditionally like all forward-facing seats while all others prefer one seat forward, one seat rearward.
S&S was never one of my favorite coachbuilders.

caddycruiser
03-08-06, 02:54 PM
Okay, I probably asked this before, but forgot.

Fabbing up sheetmetal, I understand, but where do the matching nickel-plated lower panels with grey ribbed trim and things like the matching window moldings come from on "mod" cars like this limo or a hearse?

I always wondered about that...especially since I couldn't see a coachbuilder having to make their own trim to original factory spec...

Series75
03-08-06, 04:03 PM
I think the larger coachbuilders stamp out their own panels, but you can also buy the panels and trim pieces aftermarket:

http://www.mtgparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CADCat

We owned the 1992 version of this limo for a few years. Very nice workmanship and very solid car, even after 235k miles.

Dave

Katshot
03-08-06, 05:16 PM
As I recall, none of the coachbuilders make the trim moldings. When I worked for LCW, we made the sheet metal and composite body panels (as many others do). I used to know the vendors on that stuff but...like so many other things, I can't remember.

caddycruiser
03-08-06, 06:37 PM
Interesting. But yeah, even after all the stretching and stuff (which is pretty straightforward, in truth), I always wonder how they get moldings and other little details for the new sections that match perfectly and look OEM.

Katshot
03-09-06, 07:31 AM
As soon as an OEM (like Cadillac or Lincoln) decides on a body change, they provide "bodies in white" to a few coachbuilders to come up with a new bill of materials. This gives them time to get with the usual vendors and make mold changes, produce pre-production parts for testing etc. It all happens pretty quickly.