: Seeking On-Star opinions

noahsdad
03-06-06, 12:10 PM
Since I despise carrying around a cel phone, and a charger, and all the related crap that goes with it, I'm thinking about activating the On-Star in my '03 Olds, and using the call feature as my mobile phone. I know it won't do me any good when I'm out of the car (or in the Cadillac), but I figure when I get where I'm going I'll be near a land line anyway. Anyone here use On-Star? What's your opinon?

slk230mb
03-06-06, 12:16 PM
I have it in my truck. My parents asked me to get it, in case of emergencies. I have used it a few times for remote diagnostics, and I had them open my doors just for kicks. I have the cheapest package, Safe & Sound, and it's $216 a year. If I didn't have a cell phone, I'd get minutes on the OnStar phone, but they are expensive. For the 20 minutes they gave me as a trial, it was neat. When my year is up in May, I'm not so sure if I'm going to renew or not.

SilverV
03-06-06, 12:20 PM
I have the basic onstar, and have never used it. Has not proven to be worth it so far.

axnguyen
03-06-06, 02:14 PM
If all you you want is to be able to talk in your car handsfree, they have bluetooth adaptors you can get (assuming you have a bluetooth enable phone) which allow you to route your call through a separate mic/speaker, handsfree - some will also wire into your existing stock stereo.

I just purchased a Tom Tom 700 which has bluetooth built-in. It works very well.

Elvis
03-06-06, 02:21 PM
Since I despise carrying around a cel phone, and a charger, and all the related crap that goes with it,

I'm with you. We're relics.

I didn't need a cellular phone, I used to carry around a beeper that was much smaller. I could call someone back at my convenience.

Until seven or eight years ago, I didn't have a little cellular phone. I had one permanently mounted in the car. That was good enough, and it was hands-free.

If I didn't have to have one with me at all times for work, I wouldn't have one either. Using OnStar would be good enough for me.

FSU_Noles
03-06-06, 09:07 PM
I have it and I use it. I use the hands free calling and on occasion I use the concierge feature - I have the complete package. I bought it in case my wife drove the car for the sheer sake that OnStar can give her directions rather than her call me. :tisk:

CIWS
03-06-06, 09:34 PM
Well it saved me a longer drive back to a friends house on Superbowl Sunday. After I left their house, I had apparently left my cell phone there on the table. After I got about 5 min away the Onstar phone in the car started ringing and it was my friend calling me from my cell phone to let me know I had left it at their house. Since I live about 30 min away from them, it saved me a longer trip back.
If you don't go nutso on talktime the minutes you purchase through Onstar are good for a year. If you do start going nutso and using a lot of minutes with the Onstar phone you might be better off getting service with Verizon wireless and adding the 2nd line of the car number, that way your using the cell minutes of the monthly contract vs paying for a bunch of Onstar minutes.

Ranger
03-06-06, 10:41 PM
I'm with you. We're relics.

I didn't need a cellular phone, I used to carry around a beeper that was much smaller. I could call someone back at my convenience.

Until seven or eight years ago, I didn't have a little cellular phone. I had one permanently mounted in the car. That was good enough, and it was hands-free.

If I didn't have to have one with me at all times for work, I wouldn't have one either. Using OnStar would be good enough for me.
I got 6 months free service when I bought this car and haven't used it yet, doubt I ever will. You're not alone Elvis, I still don't have a cell and doubt I ever will. Guess I am a Neanderthal.

mtflight
03-09-06, 04:30 PM
I got 6 months free service when I bought this car and haven't used it yet, doubt I ever will. You're not alone Elvis, I still don't have a cell and doubt I ever will. Guess I am a Neanderthal.

I had been tinkering with the idea of getting "directions and connections" package, but find it difficult to justify $400/year. I wish my car had a NAV.

Ranger, did u get the Directions & Connections? or just "Safe and Sound?"

If I had it I'd call them up to give me directions to whatever--it's part of what makes the Cadillac unique. A human voice, vs. a robot Nav complaining that you missed a turn. I wonder if they could give me a free trial? hehe

SpeedyArizona
03-09-06, 04:47 PM
I know co-workers that have OnStar and they barely use it. I'm not exactly sure what package they have, but I know I wouldn't want to pay for it! I have a cell phone, that's good enough for me! It may be nice to have a GPS system in your car, but it's better to know where you're going in the first place and down here they have a great city layout that makes finding your destination fairly simple (except when the traffic is blocking your exit). I'll pass and save the money!

Boombotz
03-09-06, 05:16 PM
I like having onstar. I have just the basic plan and carry phone minutes usually 30 min. I found it to be very helpful when I was rear ended. I did nothing but sit in the car and wait they took care of everything. I do carry a cell phone so I use my minutes very rarely but its great when you forget your phone. I had the directions plan and dropped it because I have nav why pay for something I have. No restaurants around here accept reservation well at least very few.

Ranger
03-09-06, 05:18 PM

BTSOM (shrug). Never even tried it.

mtflight
03-09-06, 07:17 PM
BTSOM (shrug). Never even tried it.

Push the Onstar button and ask them which plan it is. A friendly voice will answer: "Hello Mister Ranger, how may I help you today?"

If you have directions and connections, they'll tell you where you are and you can ask them where a restaurant is, etc. Find out if they know the shortcuts.

Caddy Man
03-09-06, 07:59 PM
I had been tinkering with the idea of getting "directions and connections" package, but find it difficult to justify $400/year. I wish my car had a NAV.

If I had it I'd call them up to give me directions to whatever--it's part of what makes the Cadillac unique. A human voice, vs. a robot Nav complaining that you missed a turn. I wonder if they could give me a free trial? hehe
after 3 years a very nice quailty in dash navigation would pay itself off when compared to 400 a year for onstar directions, plus a screen in the dash looks pretty cool.

mtflight
03-09-06, 08:22 PM
after 3 years a very nice quailty in dash navigation would pay itself off when compared to 400 a year for onstar directions, plus a screen in the dash looks pretty cool.

I agree with you. But in the Eldo, it would entail removing the BOSE receiver, which I hear can be a mess (plus I like the way it sounds). I'd want it to look factory and it wasn't available on the Eldo--ever. :(