: good wake up call!! stock alarms???

taz600
03-06-06, 10:04 AM
so this morning about 5 a.m. i hear my deville honking over and over and my dad runs in yelling he cant shut it off, he tried to open the door and grab his marker out of the car and i guess it has a alarm that i didnt know of. I just bought the car and was not told of a alarm nor did it ever go off before. is there a factory alarm on 1980 devilles and if so how does it work cause all i have is the normal keys?

N0DIH
03-06-06, 12:54 PM
My 94 alarm will go off if the door is opened and the lock was NOT opened by the RKE or the key. Like if the alarm is set (typically by the key after door is clsoed on 70's alarms, or likely by locking the door before you close it with the power locks on later models.

So if the window was open and the alarm set and the door got unlocked by hand reaching in, it will go off and won't shut up until the key is used to unlock it. Or it finally shuts up and goes back to sleep.

Look for a security light, some cars had that to indicate that it is an alarmed car.

taz600
03-06-06, 04:53 PM
thanks that is probably what the problem was it just caught me off gaurd because i had no idea there was a alarm on it :eek: it would have been nice to know in the first place.

N0DIH
03-07-06, 01:25 PM
My 94 states that if the security light flashes when a door is open, then I have the security system (RPO V4S I think). You should be able to look up that option on the SPID in the trunk.

I don't know on older cars if it is the same way.

caddycruiser
03-08-06, 12:12 AM
I'd say you definately have some kind of an aftermarket system in there...that just wasn't mentioned to you, and probably has no remotes anymore.

There weren't any factory systems back in 1980, and what you do have was probably installed at least a few years ago.

DopeStar 156
03-08-06, 01:44 AM
An aftermarket system huh? And the key doesn't deactivate it in the lock?

taz600
03-08-06, 02:10 AM
yes the key does turn it off we just had no idea it had an alarm and my driver window is missing so my dad just reached in and unlocked it then open the door haha he didnt expect that at 5 a.m. :stirpot:

DopeStar 156
03-08-06, 09:08 AM
Haha, I've had that happen too. Mine however an orange dash light will come on and blink when the key is removed and the door is open that says "SECURITY SYSTEM" to remind you to arm it. It will blink until you hit the lock switch then it will light up steadily until you close the door to let you know it's armed then after the door closes it goes out after a second and the car is armed.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/data/3/large/6136caddywheel.JPG

caddycruiser
03-08-06, 09:31 AM
Maybe there was some kind of stock system back in 1980...:cookoo:

I just made a good guess, based on the fact that I don't think I've ever heard of one that long ago.

taz600
03-08-06, 10:53 AM
yeah i looked into it and they did have stock alarms in 1980