: Quick Question

mdc
03-06-06, 03:02 AM
I am putting my deposit on an 06 CTS-V tomorrow and only one option is holding me from a final decision.

Every review I have read states that the CTS-V is excellent in terms of handling, but I noticed that there is an option available for an upgraded suspension package.

Does anyone have an experience with this option and is it worth the additional cost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ctsvett
03-06-06, 03:15 AM
You are referring to the FG2 suspension which is described by GM as a for "track use"...

I do not have the FG2 so I think someone with it should post, but from what I have read it is a bit stiffer than stock. My general FEELING: if you daily drive/ cant sand stiff suspension, keep the stock. If your v is a weekender/ you love stiff suspension, go for the FG2.

Keep in mind you could get it later as it is a dealer installed option. The only thing that you will pay later that you wont pay now is the intallation cost. However, you probably could get the FG2 cheap enough from someone here who did not want it where you could cover the installation cost.

Reed

ctsvett
03-06-06, 03:15 AM
WELCOME, by the way!
reed

stkshkr
03-06-06, 04:47 AM
I have the FG2's and I like them, but have never driven a v without them

StealthV
03-06-06, 09:34 AM
There's a noticeable difference w/ the FG2 shocks. They are more of a kidney punisher if one has some broken up sections of highway.

FG2 shocks on Michigan roads = hell. FG2 shocks in Florida's smooth black ribbons = heaven.

Is the FG2 worth it? Own the corners and the straights.

CIWS
03-06-06, 10:01 AM
:welcome:

One of the nice things about getting mods put on the car before delivery, FG2, Corsa exhaust, window tint, etc, is they should be added into the final price and financed as part of the car vs coming back later and paying to add them on and doing without the car while they're being added.

I personally do not have FG2 because I don't think I will be pushing the car's capability beyond what is offered on the stock vehicle. But if you think you are or know you plan on tracking the car, it's definately something to give serious consideration.

Kadonny
03-06-06, 11:37 AM

One of the nice things about getting mods put on the car before delivery, FG2, Corsa exhaust, window tint, etc, is they should be added into the final price and financed as part of the car vs coming back later and paying to add them on and doing without the car while they're being added.

Thats exactly what I did. My V will be delivered to me with the FG2 and the Corsa already on it. Thats the way to go ;)

1fstkde
03-06-06, 01:26 PM
im stock and love it!!! take it maybe once a month thru the canyons and it handles awsome!! 1.2 on the g meter is enough for me....:bouncy:

trukk
03-06-06, 02:21 PM
I also worked a Corsa & FG2 into the price of the car (great place for the dealer to 'deal').

I had the standard shocks on for about 10 days prior to going to FG2. I don't really recall what those felt like.

I have no problems at all with the FG2. My car is a daily driver. My work communte includes hwy, city, and one 'michigan like' road. I tend to enjoy a more 'stiff' car so YMMV.

One thing to keep in mind. With the '06 if you go with the RSA tires, they will be softer than a stocker with the F1's. Also once you move out of your stock tires, if you go over to a non-runflat, they will run even softer.

Personally, I plan to eventually go to a set of GC springs + WW lowering mod, which should firm things up even more.

Just like CVP33, I like it stiff.

-Chris

Luna.
03-06-06, 02:27 PM
My CTS-V did NOT come with FG2s, but I wanted them from minute one. I've got a few other mods in the hopper now, but I will eventually get them. LIke many others on this board, I very much prefer my car's suspension stiff.

However, you probably could get the FG2 cheap enough from someone here who did not want it where you could cover the installation cost.

If anyone wants to get rid of their's, send me a PM. :)

Just like CVP33, I like it stiff.-Chris

How come I have visions of Broke-diff Mountain running through my head?? :lildevil:

rand49er
03-06-06, 04:19 PM
... one 'michigan like' road ...Spoken like an ex-Michigander. :alchi:

I won't EVEN get into the "stiff" comment. :histeric:

trukk
03-06-06, 05:06 PM
Spoken like an ex-Michigander. :alchi:

Heh, I'm a Muralander, but my wife is from the great northern 'paw'. Very interesting state. I've never seen crappier roads, dump trunks with more axels (on public roads), or larger pot holes.

First time I went to meet her parents, we flew up over memorial day weekend, to watch the hydroplane races on the Detroit River, from their boat. It rained like hell, and the river was overflowing. Walking down to their berth, you had to step over nice pieces of fresh 'poo' that were floating over the submerged floating dock (about 3 inches), that had overflowed from the sewer. DETROIT = CLASSY!

I won't EVEN get into the "stiff" comment. :histeric:

LOL, I don;t think yer gonna fit in around here boy (but you sure got purty lips).

-Chris

kjr39
03-06-06, 06:43 PM
First time I went to meet her parents, we flew up over memorial day weekend, to watch the hydroplane races on the Detroit River, from their boat. It rained like hell, and the river was overflowing. Walking down to their berth, you had to step over nice pieces of fresh 'poo' that were floating over the submerged floating dock (about 3 inches), that had overflowed from the sewer. DETROIT = CLASSY!
-Chris

That's not a Detroit thing, that's a Michigan thing. The Saginaw river used to do the same thing when it rained too much.

Nothing like fishing for Walleye in the river and seeing pieces of cr@p float by.

FWIW, go with the FG2s. I have them and I love the ride!

mdc
03-07-06, 11:05 AM
thanks for the advise guys ...

Put my deposit down yesterday (2 1/2 month wait :( ) and chose to get the upgraded suspension ... I am coming out of a 2002 WRX with a very stiff coilover system so I am sure that this will feel a lot softer anyway ...

DrivingAmericanNow
03-07-06, 11:17 AM
I bought my V used, so I wasn't able to specifiy the stiffer shocks. Does anyone know how to verify whether or not I'm running stock shocks or the upgrade?

Maybe a digit in the VIN, or on the data plate??? Or are they dealer installed, and you just have to look? If so, what are the differences in the way they look stock vs upgrade?

Kadonny
03-07-06, 12:18 PM
thanks for the advise guys ...

Put my deposit down yesterday (2 1/2 month wait :( ) and chose to get the upgraded suspension ... I am coming out of a 2002 WRX with a very stiff coilover system so I am sure that this will feel a lot softer anyway ...

Good choice, thats what I did.

I think the 10 week wait is a little long. I got a call 2 weeks after I placed the order from the dealer that the car had been built, but I have been waiting ever since for it to get to the dealer. The system shows it in "quality control" at the plant in Michigan. Total wait currently is 6 weeks from order, but still counting.

I am hoping it arrives any day now.........please, please!

mdc
03-07-06, 12:43 PM
I was quoted 10-12 weeks ... One of the issues I think is that I live in Canada and sometimes the transport is held up because of customs issues and increased border problems ... who knows

Sometimes the anticipation is as good as the actual car, so that is one positive I guess ... at least that is what I keep telling myself while I wait ... :crybaby:

trukk
03-07-06, 07:19 PM
I am coming out of a 2002 WRX with a very stiff coilover system so I am sure that this will feel a lot softer anyway ...

I'd expect so.

Also comming from that, I hope you either:

a) ordered up some F1's (DAMNED nice tire)
b) plan on swaping out the RSA's post-haste with something else

-Chris

trukk
03-07-06, 07:23 PM
I bought my V used, so I wasn't able to specifiy the stiffer shocks. Does anyone know how to verify whether or not I'm running stock shocks or the upgrade?

Maybe a digit in the VIN, or on the data plate??? Or are they dealer installed, and you just have to look? If so, what are the differences in the way they look stock vs upgrade?

FG2's are an RPA (regular production accessory) not an RPO (regular production option).

RPO's done at the factory, RPA's done by the dealer, thus RPA's wouldn't show up on the VIN.

Best bet is to jack her up, and look at the part number, then compare that to the picture/number on the FAQ for the FG2.

-Chris

calicadi
03-07-06, 09:03 PM

Go with the FG2's. The ride will be slightly firmer but you're rewarded with more sure footed handling. Stock shocks have zero rebound. An engine with this much power needs to have the rubber as firmly planted as possible.