: Rear Sway Bar

CoupeDevilleRob
03-05-06, 09:40 PM
How easy or hard would it be to put a rear sway bar on a 1983 Coupe Deville. I want to tighten up the handling a little and this seems like a good idea. I know some later Fleetwoods had them. Is it a direct bolt in or is it more complicated than that? Your anticipated responses are appreciated.

FASSTWOOD
03-05-06, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure not positive that the 94-96 impala rear bar will fit. I would say 90% sure it will fit. I just got rid of my stock one too. If you want next week I will get under and measure it for ya...

cadillacdeville
03-05-06, 10:26 PM
Sorry to thredjack but I was wondering what kind of benefits would occur by adding a rear sway bar to a 77 SDV

CoupeDevilleRob
03-05-06, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't say you're thred jacking, you're asking the same question as me. A 77 and a 83 are pretty much the same chassis wise.

I think most suspension parts from 77-96 interchange. I don't want anything crazy like an Impala bar, I would just use the one the Broughams had, if I ever get around to doing this.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-05-06, 11:02 PM
I answered my own question. Mr. Lazy Ass (me) checked the service manual and there are mounting points for a sway bar. I checked the car too just to be sure and they were there. I really need to look in that book more often instead of bothering you guys with questions. So yes, if your Caddy doesn't have a rear sway bar, one can be installed quite easily.

N0DIH
03-06-06, 11:57 AM
Some of the cars factory w/o car don't come with the lower arms drilled, and I know from experience, those suckers are hard to drill. I tried and gave up on my 76 Olds. It can be done, but I wasn't gonna try that hard.

Yes, 73-77 A/G body and 77-96 B/D body arethe same rear bar mountings. 68-72 is different, but I will know soon if I can use the bar. I got a HO Racing bar that I was told was a 73-96 bar, and is a 68-72. It mounts from the side, not the underside of the lower arms.