: Ok explain this.............

Tommy Deville
03-05-06, 06:54 PM
While at the car wash today I noticed the temp past the half way point on the guage, I checked the digital read out it was up to 223 degrees. which was alarming I poped open the hood than I saw antifreeze dripping out from the front right side, closer to the nose of the car. I inspected the overflow hose, it was not coming from there. Its the 1st time the car has ever ran this hot to my knowledge. I dont know where the leak is coming from the temp went down to 207 degrees when i got home it was down 2 about 203 degrees and the leak had stoped.
I have posted about the odd loss of coolant on occasion and the last 2 times the low coolant message came on the car did not need coolant. It was very very cold on those days in the teens.
any ideas?:bighead:

Tommy Deville
03-05-06, 06:56 PM
o yea one more thing the car normally run s between 196-203 degrees

Ranger
03-05-06, 07:50 PM
"Right side closer to the nose of the car" would lead me to suspect a crack in the side tank.

Tommy Deville
03-05-06, 07:57 PM
why did it get so hot and leak? is that the surge tank? or do u meen radiator?

sts96
03-05-06, 08:26 PM
Right hand side radiator tank is a common failure point they develop cracks which will leak till complete failure of the tank. sts96

Ranger
03-05-06, 09:02 PM
why did it get so hot and leak? is that the surge tank? or do u meen radiator?
No, not the surge tank. By your discription I was refering to the radiator side tank as sts96 mentioned. I got hot because it leaked.

Tommy Deville
03-05-06, 09:23 PM
I c thats intresting,so it is the radiator? is it hard and expensive to replace?

Pjs
03-06-06, 06:18 AM
The fans don't kick on till around 223.

tactical64
03-06-06, 11:37 AM
I had my radiator "retanked" for about 200.00 before. Same engine as you have too.

Tommy Deville
03-06-06, 06:39 PM
what does "retanked" mean?

zonie77
03-06-06, 07:44 PM
Rather than repair the old one buy a new one off the internet. There are plenty of sites selling radiators so look at a bunch to get the best price. If they list a thicker core for slightly more money get it. Usually specified as 1 row, 2 row, 3 row.

Ranger
03-06-06, 10:43 PM
what does "retanked" mean?
I think that means replacing the side tanks.

davesdeville
03-07-06, 04:14 AM
Don't get worried because it got to 223*F. It might be hotter than normal for your car but it's far from being dangerously hot. Now if it'd been 260* I'd be saying something different.

Tommy Deville
03-07-06, 05:15 AM
it freaked me out a bit, I had never seen it get that hot b4 in he winter, once or twice in the summer it would go past the half not for long though. Im surprised that the fans dont kick in until 225

mtflight
03-07-06, 12:01 PM
My side tank was cracked and gushing about a pint. It never got hot, luckily.

I found a new OEM radiator on eBay for $75! Wooooohooo. I installed it with a little help, and refreshed the coolant and supplement tabs.

be careful with those side tanks. Inside them are the transaxle cooler and the oil cooler.

If they were to crack internally you can kill a tranny and get coolant into your oil.

Tommy Deville
03-07-06, 06:28 PM
Woah!the plot thickens!

auroradude
03-08-06, 12:13 PM
Thats great. Sounds like a brilliant design to me..I'm sure my engine has the same setup too.

chevelle
03-11-06, 02:51 AM
Thats great. Sounds like a brilliant design to me..I'm sure my engine has the same setup too.

Uh...in case you haven't looked the radiator end tanks almost always contain coolers for the automatic transmission and engine oil on many many different types of cars. Almost every car on the road today with an automatic transmission has a cooler for the trans inside the radiator. That is hardly a new or different design from what is considered conventional cooling practice. And, yes, your Aurora has an oil cooler and trans cooler in the radiator, too.

While the end tanks of the radiator are plastic and crimped to the radiator core the oil coolers inside are a brazed aluminum or copper construction. The engine and trans oils are contained inside the metal coolers that are separate structures from the plastic end tanks. The plastic end tank can be replaced and the original oil coolers removed and reinstalled into the new tanks.

ewill3rd
03-11-06, 06:11 AM
Chevelle is right.
The tanks cracking will have little to do with the state of the tanks inside.
If your car has an automatic transmission it has a cooler in the radiator.
(with very few exceptions).
The tanks are servicable but the radiator has to come out.

It is probably where your leak is coming from, it's leaking all the time though, not just when it gets hot. You just don't notice it, it's probably leaking slow enough that the coolant evaporates before it hits the ground.
You probably notice a sweet smell from time to time when your car warms up.
It's normal for a car that idles for some time in calm weather to reach temps in the 220-230 F range. You probably just never noticed it before.
It's less common on a cold day but not impossible. The fans kick on at that temp and then bring it down to about 210 and they shut back off again.
If it hits 240-250... worry.

Make sure to keep the coolant level full. If you have a leak you'll need to check the cooling system regularly until you can get it fixed.

infin1ty
03-12-06, 02:20 PM
I've replaced the radiator on my Aurora due to a cracked plastic tank. Nor a terribly bad job. Don't forget to install pellets in the lower hose.

Tommy Deville
03-24-06, 12:56 AM
Little update for my Caddy Brothers.I got the Concurs Inspected today Passed with no prolbem, Had the Leak checked it was a crack in the Radiator, no surprise. My mechanic said I should watch it, I decided to replace it, better to spend the $350.00 now than $3,500 6 weeks or 6 months from now becuase of a blown head gasket. Got brand new coolant, coolant tabs and hoses. So one less thig to worry about.:stirpot:

blunted
03-24-06, 12:31 PM
Do you drive with display set on coolant temp all the time? If you do, i'm very very suprised you haven't seen 223 before. Here in NYC, I dont even bat an eye at 223-228.. its very normal for the Northstar.
(coming from a obsessive compulsive caddy owner) :bang2:

auroradude
03-24-06, 03:09 PM
yeah in summer time mine runs 225 all the time never any less than that. However when i first got it frequently it would peg 250-255 when idling, that was bs. radiator and cracked hose etc and blown water pump.

Tommy Deville
03-24-06, 03:25 PM
When my Pops and I had matching Auora's they would always run very very hot in the summer, the guage on both of them would run in the upper temp range, on the Caddy the guage barley moves past the halfway point so when I saw it get to the 3/4 mark I switched over to the digital display and thats when I saw it at 223*, that and the coolnat pouring out of it signaled to me that maybe somthing was wrong. He He