: tire wear???

ndogg ct
03-05-06, 07:23 PM
guys i just checked my tires and my rears are wearing big time but just in the middle??my air pressure has never been over 34 psi??my fronts are pretty decent??the air pressuers are always within 1or 2 psi on all 4.how is everyone keeping theyre tires(psi)??thanks!!

homer403
03-05-06, 07:27 PM
Mine are 29 to 30 psi cold. Also, don't forget to rotate every 2,500 miles max.

ndogg ct
03-05-06, 07:33 PM
yea it's been 7k now,guess i will give it a few more k then go see goodyear about replacements..the wear is really bothering me though because now the rears are on the fronts and the middle tread is almost gone??:confused:

rand49er
03-05-06, 10:13 PM
...guess i will give it a few more k then go see goodyear about replacements...As suggested in another thread by NIK, you might want to strike while the iron's hot and go to a Goodyear dealer soon before this deal they're offering is discontinued. :stirpot:

Carnalsupply
03-06-06, 07:28 PM
I just got back from the local Goodyear dealer and have little hope of them working with me. They appear stuck on the idea a) my alignment is off, and b) since the car has so much power, what do I expect?
My car/tires have approx. 12,500 on them and the cord just came through on the driver front (inner edge) even though the wear pattern is symmetrical across the entire tire!
The rears are worn symmetrically as well, but with virtually nothing left, and as stated above that's got to be because the car has so much power (their words, not mine).
I'll know more after they contact Goodyear, but I'm not holding out much hope.

ndogg ct
03-06-06, 07:37 PM
so am i the only one with the middles wearing out under normal tire pressures??carnal supply do you still have the stock suspension??

cts-v ls6
03-06-06, 11:26 PM
ndogg,

I have Avons with 37k highway miles on them. Always 30psi cold, front and rear aligned, balanced, rotated every 3500 miles. Tires are worn out in the middle, with ample tread on the sides. They are also cupped very badly, and really loud--like off-road tires.

Jack

rand49er
03-06-06, 11:46 PM
I just got back from the local Goodyear dealer and have little hope of them working with me. They appear stuck on the idea a) my alignment is off, and b) since the car has so much power, what do I expect?
My car/tires have approx. 12,500 on them and the cord just came through on the driver front (inner edge) even though the wear pattern is symmetrical across the entire tire!
The rears are worn symmetrically as well, but with virtually nothing left, and as stated above that's got to be because the car has so much power (their words, not mine).
I'll know more after they contact Goodyear, but I'm not holding out much hope.I didn't hold out much hope either, but I'm tellin' ya, it worked for me just like NIK's posts in his thread a week or so ago.

What I did is get on Goodyear's website, found a place where I could type in my complaint (some customer service link) and received a reply back in a couple of days with a file no. on it. I tried to call a couple of times, but couldn't get through the maze of selections. Anyway, I went to the Goodyear dealer near here, they measured the tires, and they called them after I had left. Meanwhile, I finally got through, too, and the women gave me $194.50 PER TIRE! By the time the dealer gave me their price with the discount figured in on a new set of GSD3's, balanced and mounted (about $440), I figure my savings netted out over $500.

It works. :bouncy: PM me if you want more details (tomorrow), but this does work.

Carnalsupply
03-07-06, 01:58 PM
Yep, my suspension is stock (for now), so that shouldn't be an issue. I just got the feeling the Goodyear dealer felt like the $$'s were coming out of his pocket, so he didn't appear over sympathetic to the cause.

My rears are toast all the way across, not just in the center, and the fronts appear to be wearing evenly as well, despite what the turd at the Goodyear dealer said. Like I said, I really don't think this guy was of the mind to help.

I'll be PM'ing you (49er) to help locate that specific Goodyear link.
Thanks.

nikon
03-07-06, 02:51 PM
im all stock, same situation as you...all tire pres. are the same, yet only the rears are wearing in the middle, dont understand it, im at 30-31 cold, so I guess the rears need to be 1-3 lbs lower....ya got me. But I know im going to try and get some tires out of em too....as long as I dont have to put goodyears back on.

NH Vrod
03-07-06, 03:13 PM
I wasted my first set of rear tires in 5000 miles!! Bone stock and never once did a burn out with them. The dealer is going to warrantee them. I keep all four tires 27PSI cold and they warm up to around 32 tops, the tire wear was perfect. Perfectly bald in 5000 miles that is!!

CIWS
03-07-06, 03:16 PM
I actually called G.Y. , got through to a Customer Service rep. Although the recording said "press #5 if you've already spoken to a local G.Y. service center rep and have not gotten your problem resolved" (or something like that) I just pressed #5 and spoke to a Rep. Explained my F1s were wearing and was concerned about the car hydroplaning at highway speeds if they wore too much in the next few months. He sent me to a local G.Y. center to have them looked at and have the manager call them back. Like Carnalsupply, the local manger was a bit of a pain to deal with intially (won't go into details), so I'm sure this varies from location to location. But finally after he called G.Y. and got the numbers straight, they offered to replace my F1s with RSA runflats for approx 65.00 a tire based on my amount of wear. The new set is supposed to be on order and I will be called when they arrive.

Robohom
03-07-06, 04:12 PM
The run flat F1's just don't wear well. My rears were basically bald all the way across @ 7k @ 30PSI cold. Though they still held great on dry surfaces when warmed up they were getting a little scary. As far as going back to Goodyear goes I just didn't like what I read about the RSA's so I figured I'd bite the bullett and make a clean break. After much research here and a few other places I got 4 new Conti Extreme Contacts @ just under $200 each mounted and balanced two weeks ago. I'm thinking that they will last at least twice as long if not more than F1's. So far my first impressions are that ride is much quieter, more civilized and grip is great. Cons are that they are little soft on initial turn in and you don't have that "I'd better keep my hands on the wheel" or else feeling. While I miss that attention getting feedback you get from the F1 sometimes the V is still loads of fun and I just feel better knowing I'm not gonna spend well over $300 a tire every 7k miles!

V-Smooth
03-07-06, 04:25 PM
What size rear tires/rim you guys running? Stock F1 245's? :hmm:

I've heard that if you're running a wider tire, say 285's, on a rim that is not as wide to support the tire (our stocks are 8.5" wide), chances are you'll wear heavy toward the middle of the tire. It's a ballooning effect at speed. Could be your problem...

Imagine a top fuel dragster doing a burnout, the tire balloons and grows almost twice it's height and wears toward the middle...JMO

nikon
03-07-06, 04:28 PM
What size rear tires/rim you guys running? Stock F1 245's? :hmm:

I've heard that if you're running a wider tire, say 285's, on a rim that is not as wide to support the tire (our stocks are 8.5" wide), chances are you'll wear heavy toward the middle of the tire. It's a ballooning effect at speed. Could be your problem...

Imagine a top fuel dragster doing a burnout, the tire balloons and grows almost twice it's height and wears toward the middle...JMO

yup, stock tires, still getting the inner tire wear....I really dont get it, I can understand the inside of the tire, or the outside of the tire...but the middle??? and all inflated the same??? Ya, it makes no sense.