: Lights Dim When Idle At Stop Light

Waggie
03-05-06, 03:08 PM
My Volt meter goes from 14 volts down to 10 volts and that's at 900 RPM. I have had it to the dealers several times and they can't figure it out. If you have the RPM's at 1,000 they don't dim. General Motors had a recall for this problem and my local Cadillac dealer fixed it but it still does the same thing. I even put a 235 amp alternator on because of my stereo system and they still dim when I am stopped. Thanks Bill:confused:

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-05-06, 03:14 PM
I have a similar problem on my 2005 Escalade. I usually drive with all my windows open because I live in South Florida, and when I stop at my destination, I usually close all my windows at the same time. When I pull all the buttons up at once, the lights usually dim until I let go. On the technical side, my car is stock, so I don't think this should be happening.

Thanks.

Sky High Ent.
03-05-06, 04:41 PM
Mine TOO!
From the time I bought it and it was all stock.
Put somewhat of a system in it, and it hasn't gotten any worse, but still does happen occasionally.

I have an AVIC N2 - Fosgate P4004 - P2002 - Alpine SPR17LS in the doors -
2 Pioneer Shallow 12's behind the third row . and a Pioneer 6 disc

slk230mb
03-05-06, 05:30 PM
My lights dim a little if I hit 2 window switches at the same time. It's done it since I've had the truck. I don't think it's too big a deal.

Boombotz
03-05-06, 05:34 PM
My lights dim a little if I hit 2 window switches at the same time. It's done it since I've had the truck. I don't think it's too big a deal.

:yeah:

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-05-06, 08:30 PM
It doesn't bother me too much but I still do wonder why it happens. I really don't care about getting it fixed, but I want to know if there is just too much power running through the Escalade?

Thanks.

Synergetic
03-07-06, 12:10 AM
It doesn't bother me too much but I still do wonder why it happens. I really don't care about getting it fixed, but I want to know if there is just too much power running through the Escalade?

Thanks.

It doesn't bother me either. I think its my sound system, although I got two caps with a stock alternator, but with two batteries. I'm going to be adding 5 more caps and hopefully this will fix this problem.

hcvone
03-07-06, 08:27 AM
They need to spin the alternator faster at idle, I have read on different Forums about some people replacing the pulley size, most of these were people with high output sound systems.

Sinisterj
03-07-06, 09:17 AM
Its is always a known fact that when you use power windows etc and you get a voltage drop its due to poor wiring in the vehicle.:tisk: Its one of the first things that I noticed when I bought my escalade (Mine does it as well) I dont know what causes the problem but rest assured that it is poor electronics on GM's side. I have a BMW 5 with tons more electronic stuff IDrive etc and It never has a voltage drop but there again thats BMW and not GM. GM is going downhill fast IMO.:want:

Synergetic
03-07-06, 03:13 PM
Its is always a known fact that when you use power windows etc and you get a voltage drop its due to poor wiring in the vehicle.:tisk: Its one of the first things that I noticed when I bought my escalade (Mine does it as well) I dont know what causes the problem but rest assured that it is poor electronics on GM's side. I have a BMW 5 with tons more electronic stuff IDrive etc and It never has a voltage drop but there again thats BMW and not GM. GM is going downhill fast IMO.:want:

Yup, its a GM! Everything is quickly manufacturured with these vehicles. Every snaps on, quick waring is not uncommon and tons of problems. But I still love my Escalade! I'm always glad i'm not driving a Tahoe/Yukon instead.

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-07-06, 05:05 PM
Yup, its a GM! Everything is quickly manufacturured with these vehicles. Every snaps on, quick waring is not uncommon and tons of problems. But I still love my Escalade! I'm always glad i'm not driving a Tahoe/Yukon instead.

Haha. I just wanted to know if the dimming of the lights was going to cause a problem in the long run, but it seems like it is a common occurrence so I am not going to worry about it. By the way, I still love my Escalade as well.

Thanks.

Sinisterj
03-09-06, 10:08 AM

O yeah... Thats what I was saying... I love my Escalade too though:2thumbs:

benamaster
03-09-06, 06:10 PM
I have dual batteries and upgraded the power wires. It seemed to make it a little better. Two windows I don't notice but if I do all four then it dims. Good to know I am not the only one with the problem.