: Third Brake Light Replacement

Waggie
03-05-06, 02:52 PM
Where can I order a new third brake light for my 2002 Escalade? The dealer wants $250.00. Thanks Bill.

slk230mb
03-05-06, 02:56 PM
If you have the part number, check gmpartsdirect.com, but their shipping will be killer.

Boombotz
03-05-06, 05:37 PM
Why do you need a new one.

jrs05caddyext
03-05-06, 11:31 PM
This is the only one I found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Escalade-Third-Brake-Light-and-Mount_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42613QQitemZ80428 38318QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Synergetic
03-06-06, 12:36 AM
Damn. Thats expensive, for just the light. One side of my 3rd brake light is half dead. Looks odd, can't you just replace the bulbs? I'm thinking about just disconnecting the whole damn thing and smoking it.

hornyjuan
03-06-06, 01:36 AM
Or...paint over it? I got a medium smoke on the tailights and 3rd brake light...looks great. All depends on the color of your car.

slk230mb
03-06-06, 08:29 AM
Damn. Thats expensive, for just the light. One side of my 3rd brake light is half dead. Looks odd, can't you just replace the bulbs? I'm thinking about just disconnecting the whole damn thing and smoking it.

They are LEDs. Like the Sevilles in the past, the problem is probably the circuit boards getting wet and ruining the foils around the bulbs.

jrs05caddyext
03-06-06, 09:50 AM
I had my 3rd brake light smoked black in my old EXT(black).

toneman
03-06-06, 06:57 PM
If brand-spanking-new-from-the-dealer isn't of utmost importance, you might want to consider www.ledfix.com; they offer replacement Esky CHMSL units for $125 shipped w/ 2-year warranty. I have no affiliation with them...just a satisfied customer.

Sure you might be able to get one on Ebay for less...even one that's new...but then again just about none of them come with any kind of warranty. And if you say the warranty isn't that important to you 'cuz LEDs last forever--well you were looking to buy a replacement 'cuz the one you have right now went out on you, no? ;)

Waggie
03-06-06, 09:43 PM
Thanks I Will Order One From Here. My Friend Works For The Cadillac Dealer And He Said He Would Put It On Thanks Again Bill

vietfob714
03-06-06, 11:08 PM
wow i got a good deal then .. got it for $80 off ebay

shook
07-02-13, 09:53 PM
Heres a question i have had no luck getting answered so im just going to try what seems to be commen sence, what is to stop me from disassembling the high mount third brake light and installing a new LED strip for $9.99. I'm going to wire the existing plug receptacle from the car to the new strip of lights and in close it back into the lens and ballast. it seems to me this would work and I have been an unable to find anything to the contrary.

shook
09-11-13, 11:14 PM
I took the third brake light apart and put a new string of led,s in it, brighter then original, 9 dollars. For the string of leds.

the cadillac man
09-12-13, 12:00 AM
I took the third brake light apart and put a new string of led,s in it, brighter then original, 9 dollars. For the string of leds.

I like that idea
I can get strips of LEDs cheap at my local Walmart so should mine give me trouble I will do that(that's how I added footwell lights in my 03)

gentz777
09-21-13, 12:17 PM

It would great if you could post a little info on how you went about that! $400.00 for a replacement light is just criminal!
maybe a quick story on how you attached new to old wiring? solder? quick connect? I figured you must cut a section of the back of the lense out to access? Dremel tool ? seems to me it would work great!

Logandiagnostic
09-21-13, 03:55 PM
I guess it's your lamp and you can do what you want..

Most home repairs the lens falls off after a couple of trips thru the car wash. Then you are back at square one with no core.

I'll let the quality of Chinese LED circuit boards speak for themselves.

Oh well..I did attach a picture of a box of lamps with attempted repairs we have. All scrap.

www.ledfix.com

Primetime1267
09-22-13, 10:39 PM
My third brake light got ripped off going thru a car wash... My Leds are still great but the tabs broke off and the corner plastic snapped... I wish I could just order a new housing and transfer over my Leds ... Lol. I have gotten used to not having my light on the truck. I wish the newer style brake lights would fit. They are less expensive than our style. Has anyone tried fitting the newer style escalade third brake lights on our models??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Primetime1267
09-22-13, 10:57 PM
Logan.. how much u want for one of ur nice non working lights?? Is it easy to separate to swap over my Leds to ur housing ??

the cadillac man
09-23-13, 01:47 AM
My third brake light got ripped off going thru a car wash... My Leds are still great but the tabs broke off and the corner plastic snapped... I wish I could just order a new housing and transfer over my Leds ... Lol. I have gotten used to not having my light on the truck. I wish the newer style brake lights would fit. They are less expensive than our style. Has anyone tried fitting the newer style escalade third brake lights on our models?? Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

The newer style light is different and has a smaller amount of LEDs

FYI there is a Cadillac owners app for iPhone if you have one(much better)

Primetime1267
09-23-13, 09:14 AM
Thx for the info. Also, I'm on the Droid wagon. :)

the cadillac man
09-23-13, 12:34 PM
Thx for the info. Also, I'm on the Droid wagon. :) Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Ah I see I have a droid tablet but haven't checked if the owners app is on android yet

Primetime1267
09-23-13, 04:36 PM
Ohh sweeet. Just downloaded the app for Droid. Much nicer than AG.. thx Cadillacman.

the cadillac man
09-23-13, 05:55 PM
Ohh sweeet. Just downloaded the app for Droid. Much nicer than AG.. thx Cadillacman.

Thanks I am glad to help now to download the app on my droid tablet (I have it on my iPhone and ipad)

altacarp
11-05-13, 12:56 PM
Try Kwik Plastik from JB Weld and use a similar diameter drinking straws as the pins that might be left use the straws filled with plastik to repair the little pins that snap off when your old lady tears off the third light and the lower section of the garage door. Turns out there isn't very many highmounts out there when trying to find a used one and pretty sure dealer said $600 new? I just cut the straws a little longer so I could cut a short section at the end in half and lay the two strips flat and filled the straw with kwik plastik and covered the flat strips at the base. Before it drys carefully install it on the truck to get the right angle for the pins and let it dry. You can even use this stuff to reattach the clips for the screws. Has not moved through car wash or extreme temps since repaired a couple years ago and was easy to do. The important thing is to use the same type of plastic repair as what your repairing, pretty sure these lights are ABS plastic but the code is somewhere on the lens to be sure.

Weberlade 2002
11-19-13, 05:23 AM
I am going to try this this weekend I already have got blue leds under my headlight and red ones in my rear molding and they seem to be holding up even exposed to the weather so enclosed inside the high mount brake light should be prefect!!!