: VSS....how hard is it to change?

danbuc
03-05-06, 02:47 AM
My VSS is on it's way out I think (either that or it's a wiring problem). A few times in the past month my car has acted up by not upshifting properly, and having the speedo bounce around a little and then just drop to zero. It throws PCM P0502 with is VSS Senosr Input Circuit Low Voltage. This could be a wiring problem, but I am more inclined to think it's just the sensor slowly starting to die. I know it's mounted to top of the case in the rear, but has anyone actually changed it themselves? I might have access to a lift for an hour or so at school, and was wondering if I could do it within that time. Thanks in advance.

Ranger
03-05-06, 12:37 PM
I haven't done it but I believe it is mounted on the trans housing above the right output shaft and is accessable through the right wheel well. I think I read that it is only held in place by one bolt. Just guessing, but I would think it is doable in an hour.

danbuc
03-05-06, 01:00 PM
Hmm...if it's accessable through the right wheel well, then maybe there's a chance I won't need a lift. I'll have to look at the diagram in the service manual a little more closely and see if I can do this with just a jack.