: Q on install of alternator

fast66
03-04-06, 09:29 PM
I am wondering how hard is it to install an aftermarket alternator? Is it a plug an play thing? also where is it located? Thanks

fast66
03-05-06, 03:38 AM
nevermind I already got the info that I need

Synergetic
03-05-06, 07:01 AM
This is a peice of cake.
2 hour plus job, if you know exactly what to do.

fast66
03-05-06, 07:06 AM
This is a peice of cake.
2 hour plus job, if you know exactly what to do.
for all your subs how many amps is your alternator?

Synergetic
03-05-06, 07:13 AM
for all your subs how many amps is your alternator?

I still got the stock Delphi alternator. :eek: :bulb:

slk230mb
03-05-06, 11:07 AM
I still got the stock Delphi alternator. :eek: :bulb:

Capacitor? Extra Battery? Voodoo Magic?

hornyjuan
03-05-06, 02:09 PM
I have

1800w on front end (3-way tri-amp)
2000w on subs
300w for center channel
300w for surround left
300w for surround right

4700w total. Not ***** watts but real American powerhouses. Mcintosh baby!

Stock alternator, 1200 crank amp Scosche batter, 2 batcaps, 0 gauge wiring. No issues so far. Either way, alternators die eventually, you might as well wait till your stock one dies and then change it out. Your engine has to work that much harder to power a big alternator anyways. So when i start noticing lights dimming, alternator going out then I'll change. So far it's been 3 years and no issues.

fast66
03-05-06, 06:25 PM
Stock alternator, 1200 crank amp Scosche batter, 2 batcaps, 0 gauge wiring. No issues so far. Either way, alternators die eventually, you might as well wait till your stock one dies and then change it out. Your engine has to work that much harder to power a big alternator anyways. So when i start noticing lights dimming, alternator going out then I'll change. So far it's been 3 years and no issues.

I already bought this iraggi 280a altenator, i got a really good deal on it so i had to get it. Going to run 4 re mt 18" with 4 orions 2500d, my friend told me to get the alt or it wont sound its best. I just want the ground to shake.

Synergetic
03-06-06, 01:38 AM
How much did you get it for fast66? And I have 2 batteries which helps out.

fast66
03-06-06, 01:41 AM
How much did you get it for fast66? And I have 2 batteries which helps out.

$275 from a group buy on caraudio.com a month ago

i got a yellow top in my truck already and I think i will be putting another one though

hornyjuan
03-06-06, 02:34 AM
I would definetly recommend 2 batcaps. They have that reserve power when your super subs need to hit 150db. Kind of like a capacitor on steriods...doesn't have the lasting power of a cap but when you need to hit that deep deep ghetto bass it will be there. Besides, music never plays continously at your max wattage...just when you need that extra power to hit those loud loud notes the batcap will be there. I'm more into audiophile/sound quality as I have 5.1 dolby digital, dts, with 3 way dynaudio esotars up front, dyn esotar rear surround, etc.

fast66
03-06-06, 03:08 AM
does loud bass need a capicator?

hornyjuan
03-06-06, 03:24 AM
Depends on how loud your going to run it. Most of the SPL guys have 50 farad caps in their car with multiple batteries. Seriously though, you can barely sit in a 150db car for a few seconds before your ear drums pop and I wouldn't even recommend it. For everyday use, I'd reccomend the batcaps for 2 reasons:

1. They are small so hiding them isn't a problem instead of having a bulky 50 farad cap.

2. Realistically if your just playing a regular track or cruising your not going to use all of your watts continuously but only at certain db levels and hz will the batcap kick in to give you that extra juice you need. With the batcap at 400 amps it'll kick in for a few seconds then recharge vs a traditional cap which has a longer duration but not quite the peak power.