: Oil Eater

Kidhummer
03-04-06, 09:08 PM
I have 1600 Miles on my 06 V and the check oil level light came on. I had to add a quart of oil into my engine. Is this normal? I have been driving it kinda hard at times. :confused:

rand49er
03-04-06, 09:11 PM
Did you break it in properly before running it hard?

Closer_2001
03-04-06, 09:17 PM
I have 1600 Miles on my 06 V and the check oil level light came on. I had to add a quart of oil into my engine. Is this normal? I have been driving it kinda hard at times. :confused:

Most LSX engines use a bit of oil...especially if you are doing downshifts on deceleration resulting in engine braking.

If you want to be paranoid - do some searches on 01 Z06 Vettes.

I'd just top it off with some fresh mobil one.

Then grab yourself your favorite adult beverage and top yourself off.

Kidhummer
03-04-06, 09:19 PM
well, I broke it in according to this--->

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??
Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...
How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of
PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??
Of course it can't.

CIWS
03-04-06, 10:07 PM
Do you know what your oil level was at when you picked up the car ? Or are you simply assuming it was completely full ?

Kidhummer
03-04-06, 10:16 PM
assuming it was completely full as they usually do a complete vehicle check prior to delivery

CIWS
03-04-06, 10:24 PM
It's possible it wasn't (possible it was). Just keep an eye on it and see how it does. I specifically asked if they changed my oil before delivery (had a few miles on it) and was told yes. However I saw the maintenance record from prep and no oil change was done. Glad I decided to do it early anyway. Just can't trust people do as you ask or think they should do..

rand49er
03-05-06, 07:19 AM
It's possible it wasn't (possible it was). Just keep an eye on it and see how it does. ... Just can't trust people do as you ask or think they should do..Yeah that!

I hadn't thought of that as a possibility :rant2: ... who knows, some idiot may not have filled the oil properly from the git-go maybe thinking it only held 5 qts instead of 6 or something.

As CIWS said, keep an eye on it for a while now that you have a baseline visual on the dipstick. :thumbsup:

NOPISTONS
03-05-06, 01:52 PM
I to have a oil eating 06 with just about 900 miles. It needed its first quart and then again with about 2,000 miles or so it needed another two quarts of oil. which I took the car in for expection on the two quarts and they put me on an oil consumption test for 1,000 miles. Since then about 3/4 of a quart was used they also put 10/30 oil in.

V-SATX
03-05-06, 02:15 PM
I to have a oil eating 06 with just about 900 miles. It needed its first quart and then again with about 2,000 miles or so it needed another two quarts of oil. which I took the car in for expection on the two quarts and they put me on an oil consumption test for 1,000 miles. Since then about 3/4 of a quart was used they also put 10/30 oil in.

I bought my 05 in Jan 06 (Big $$ discount) and now have 2500 miles on her. The oil is as full as the day I picked her up. I am thinking about a fresh change at 3k just to keep her happy. Does the new LS use 10/30 instead of the 5/30 that we use in the 05?

Kidhummer
03-05-06, 02:32 PM
I bought my 05 in Jan 06 (Big $$ discount) and now have 2500 miles on her. The oil is as full as the day I picked her up. I am thinking about a fresh change at 3k just to keep her happy. Does the new LS use 10/30 instead of the 5/30 that we use in the 05?

no, it also uses 5/30

trekster
03-05-06, 04:33 PM
At first I was thinking it was just the dealer because the dealer added 5 quarts one time. I'm starting to think if i'm burning oil as well. I change my own oil with 6.5 quarts like the V takes. 3,000 miles later I check the oil on the dipstick and no oil is on the stick.
Then again I drive it hard and I downshift alot.

Kidhummer
03-05-06, 05:52 PM
At first I was thinking it was just the dealer because the dealer added 5 quarts one time. I'm starting to think if i'm burning oil as well. I change my own oil with 6.5 quarts like the V takes. 3,000 miles later I check the oil on the dipstick and no oil is on the stick.

i have the same problem.. what is the normal oil PSI reading at WOT?

trekster
03-05-06, 06:52 PM
I'll check once I get back from work which I was suppose to leave about an hour ago.

50 4Ever
03-05-06, 06:59 PM
I have an '03 Corvette that I run hard and I always blip and downshift when decelerating and I have never had to add oil between changes. The older LS1 and LS6's, around 2000 I think, are oil burners but the newer ones aren't. I have never heard of new LSx engines using this much oil.

These Aluminum engines do need a 500 mile breakin period which consists of never driving at the same speed or RPM for any extended period of time. A few spirited runs are fine but "driving it hard" before it properly broken in is just asking for trouble.

On the question of oil weight, 10W30 is fine if you live in a warm climate. I run Amsoil 10W30 in the Corvette but will probably stick with Mobil 5W30 for the V.

:thumbsup:

V-SATX
03-05-06, 07:02 PM
Beast,

That is just plain abnormal oil consumption!!!! If I were you I would have your V checked for a serious problem rings ectů. There is no way you should use 6 quarts of oil in 3000 miles, especially with synthetic oil. Maybe you should place some old white sheets in the garage and see what, if any leaks appear in the am. JMHO

trekster
03-05-06, 07:30 PM
I know I explained this to my local dealer last time and they said just to add in more oil. It seems that they take me for an idiot. I park in the same spot every night and I don't see one spot of oil anywhere. I need to find a dealer in So. Cal that won't give me this type of shit and they better not blame my mods for it. I'm sick of this shit. o yeah and my clunk too.

This is going to suck 7 types of shit if they need to remove headers for this.

NOPISTONS
03-05-06, 10:13 PM
I went throught 3 3/4 of oil in 3,000 miles I went to my chevrolet dealer at 2,000 miles and they sad it was 2 quarts low. They filled it and started a oil consumption test and said that they could'nt do any warranity work because it was a high perforamce car. So he sent me to cadillac to finish up the test I drove another 1,000 miles and used 3/4 of a quart. I took it to cadillac and they said I would have to start the test over again and that they would have to drain it and start from fresh he also said they would put in 10 30 oil that's bull shit beacuse of the weather in Cali. After all that they charged me for the oil change at 3,000 miles so far i need another 600 miles for the test.