: May buy a 2004.Some newbie questions?

lars464
03-04-06, 05:30 PM
Looking at a 2004 with 25,000 miles. The vehicle is certified. Can buy for 34k. Is this a good price? What other problems, or suggestions do you folks have? I appreciate any input here. I have been reading on rear differential issues here. Any other serious issues to look for?

GAGS-V
03-04-06, 06:26 PM
Drive it, you'll buy it! All under warranty. Go for it!

Koooop
03-04-06, 06:55 PM
Doesn't Certified mean the factory warranty is extended? I could be wrong but I think the extended warranty alone is probably worth a couple of Grand.

Go for it!

lars464
03-04-06, 07:43 PM
I did drive it. I really like the car. The warranty covers the car till May 2010, or 100k miles. I was also looking at Audi S4, and A6 4.2. All were used models. The CTS was by far the most peppy of the bunch. Dealer was asking 36k. I offered 34k plus the extended warranty to be included. They wanted 1400.00 for the warranty alone. I am probably going to get it Monday. I want to see the undercarriage on a lift first.
I have a serious addiction to mods. Which mods have the dealer's been giving you members problems with. Aside from exhaust, I don't see any other factory approved mods. Thanks again for all the help!

CVP33
03-04-06, 07:51 PM
That's a good price not a great price. With the "certified warranty" you did fine. You can have our resident dealer, Lindsay, help run the VIN if your concerned about prior repairs etc. But with the "certified" I wouldn't really worry about it. :thumbsup: Proceed.

lars464
03-04-06, 07:55 PM
Thanks CVP. I am going to check the VIN on Monday. Whats the average age in here? I am 41 and feel like the old guy in this bunch.
What about factory performance accessories. Are there any offered?

rand49er
03-04-06, 07:56 PM
Any mod that can be reversed easily would seem to be appropriate ... I wouldn't think you'd want to jeopardize that sweetheart 100k warranty. :tisk:

Having a second PCM to tune leaving the OEM unit unaltered is a plan I have for me; that might be a thought to consider. Some of the other people here can probably give you better advice than I regarding cat-back exhaust and CAI intakes (though I have both, myself). :thumbsup:

BTW, I'd say you're "doomed", but I'll wait for heavy to say that.

lars464
03-04-06, 08:03 PM
Doomed?

CVP33
03-04-06, 08:19 PM
Thanks CVP. I am going to check the VIN on Monday. Whats the average age in here? I am 41 and feel like the old guy in this bunch.

41 is actually about the average. Check the FAQ's for some interesting info' regarding our owners. (search FAQ's)

Factory offers very little. Drilled rotors, polished rims. The after market is pretty healthy for CAI, exhaust, header's, Nitrous kits, cam, heads, superchargers, tuned PCM's and more. $ = power. Search the threads and you'll find out what others have experienced with their equipment and you'll quickly find out who has the quality stuff.

Suggest you work out something with the dealer in advance of the purchase should you want to 'mod' later. Have him/her give you a written OK that you can add some mod's without fear of a warranty decline. Take care, have fun.

DOOMED = Once you start modding, you will NEVER stop.

lars464
03-05-06, 12:32 AM
Who on here can run the VIN for service history?

Koooop
03-05-06, 06:38 PM

One of the very cool things about the V is you won't be 41 anymore once you start driving it!

ChicagoCTS32
03-05-06, 07:28 PM
I did drive it. I really like the car. The warranty covers the car till May 2010, or 100k miles. I was also looking at Audi S4, and A6 4.2. All were used models. The CTS was by far the most peppy of the bunch. Dealer was asking 36k. I offered 34k plus the extended warranty to be included. They wanted 1400.00 for the warranty alone. I am probably going to get it Monday. I want to see the undercarriage on a lift first.
I have a serious addiction to mods. Which mods have the dealer's been giving you members problems with. Aside from exhaust, I don't see any other factory approved mods. Thanks again for all the help!

I can't (but wish I could) comment on the CTS-V, but I can offer a quick nugget of info from consumer reports. The annual auto issue just arrived and they rate the A4 (including S4), from 2004+ "Good" 4/5 for reliability. Prior to 2004, it was average to poor 3/5 - 1/5. Avoid the A6 like the plague. It has never scored better than 2/5 from 2003 on up. The CTS has been at Average 3/5 from 2004-2005.

Average repair bill for a german car is $1000. Buy American!

lars464
03-05-06, 08:50 PM
Thanks boy's. I am taking the car to my work tomorrow to check the undercarriage. If all looks good, I am buying it!

lars464
03-06-06, 11:39 AM
What have you members been doing for spare tire/wheels?
The Dealer replaced the tires on this car with non-run flat's. I am not too crazy about driving around without a spare. It looks like it will need a different trunk piece to accept a regular spare wheel/tire.

nikon
03-06-06, 11:44 AM
The Dealer replaced the tires on this car with non-run flat's. I am not too crazy about driving around without a spare. It looks like it will need a different trunk piece to accept a regular spare wheel/tire.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/spare/index.html
:bouncy::bouncy: Good luck with it ;)

CIWS
03-06-06, 11:51 AM
edit - I hate dial-up

SilverV
03-06-06, 12:25 PM
love my 04, I paid a little more than 34K but mine had a few less miles. Been great so far, still on the original diff. at 15K miles, but I have the "whine".

No other problems so far :thumbsup:

Dave-V
03-06-06, 01:27 PM
I have an '04 certified with 32K. I bought it in October '04. Still on the original diff. I have a More CAI and electric cutout exhaust and have had zero issues with my dealer. I had a tranny seal replaced under warranty and he wanted to talk about my mods. He thought they were cool. FYI I paid $900 for the 6/100K warranty from my dealer.

Koooop
03-06-06, 01:32 PM
I have an '04 certified with 32K. I bought it in October '04. Still on the original diff. I have a More CAI and electric cutout exhaust and have had zero issues with my dealer. I had a tranny seal replaced under warranty and he wanted to talk about my mods. He thought they were cool. FYI I paid $900 for the 6/100K warranty from my dealer.

Is that a GM Factory Warranty for $900?

Luna.
03-06-06, 01:41 PM

AAA... :)

Kadonny
03-06-06, 01:52 PM

Nah. 42 here.

lars464
03-06-06, 03:06 PM
Well,looks like a done deal. Dealer is installing full size spare,jack,etc...
They wanted to offer me another 500.00 off,but it looks like the cost of the new wheel alone is 700 list. I should be doing the paperwork tonight. Maybe tomorrow I wont be a lurker anymore1

Kadonny
03-06-06, 04:31 PM
Congrats on the car. Welcome to the forum!

keeksv
03-06-06, 08:36 PM
When do you buy the new exhaust?:thumbsup::stirpot:

Welcome!

lars464
03-06-06, 10:57 PM
lol....Been looking at exhaust systems. Looks like the Corsa is the most common setup used here. I also like the cross drilled rotor's. Window's will get tinted first thing this weekend.