: trunk motor?

taz600
03-04-06, 01:53 PM
does anyone know were i can find one of those motors that pull the trunk closed, im not exactly sure what there called but mines broke and you can just lift up my trunk without doing anything. its a 80 deville.

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 03:13 PM
Mine broke last april,and i got one from an 88 Brougham parts car i bought.Try a junk yard,they seem to have older broughams and devilles in excess,at least in central florida they do.

Big_Blue
03-05-06, 10:26 AM
mostly any mid 8-'s caddy will have one so like 85EvergreenBrougham said they should be abundant in the local junkyard.

caddieboy
03-05-06, 07:19 PM
I went to a scrap yard to replace mine. The latch part was too big so I took the whole thing apart, put the latch part from the old on in the "new" motor and it worked beautifully! When you go to the scrap yard to pull the part, make sure you get the right connection. They were only $10 each so I pulled 2 and one of them had a different connection. I think I pulled the motor off a mid-80s Brougham for my 90 Fleetwood. Worked like a charm. The one off another Fleetwood had a different connector plug.

Good luck!

carnut
03-05-06, 07:27 PM
Sometimes only the clear plastic part breaks which binds up the motor inside it. Look closely and if in fact its cracked, broken, then swap in a new housing. The clear plastic housing was the same for years and years.

carnut
03-05-06, 07:27 PM
This is assuming you are mechanically inclined?

taz600
03-06-06, 02:23 AM
well come to find out im a little ignorant :thepan: i didnt realize that the other contact was the hook of the truck that latches. the motor casing is broke were the screws mount up so the motor just laid in my trunk i managed to jb weld the mounts tfor a temperary fix till i come across a housing or motor that way you cant just lift my trunk up. thanks for the help everyone......... while on the subjects of trunks what does the trunk use to hold it up on a 80 deville mine has no way to stay up?

DopeStar 156
03-06-06, 02:36 AM
By the way, that thing you're looking for is the "Power Pull-Down Motor." They had struts to hold them up on the early 80's RWD cars. However the late 80's RWD cars had no struts, they were counter balenced so they'd stay up.

taz600
03-06-06, 02:46 AM
well i guess i need to keep an eye out for struts or such for my trunk cause belive me holding up that heavy trunk for long is not fun

DopeStar 156
03-06-06, 06:45 AM
Might just be easier to swap the struts out with a set up from a late 80's trunk. Examine let's say an 82 RWD in comparison to say an 88 RWD and see what's diferent. Maybe you can convert to the strutless set up with little very little pain.

Check here, this came up not too long ago.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/65872-trunk-wont-stay-open.html