Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  wufibug 
#1 ·
Quick question for everyone,
My driver's side door never stays open because the tiny metal piece that stops it from shutting is worn. Has anyone found a place where I could find that part??

(its annoying always having that shut on your leg when trying to get into the car)

#2 ·
lawnpatio said:
Quick question for everyone,
My driver's side door never stays open because the tiny metal piece that stops it from shutting is worn. Has anyone found a place where I could find that part??

(its annoying always having that shut on your leg when trying to get into the car)
I have the exact same issue. You're right it is annoying.

#6 · (Edited)
Im joining the club.. haha..

Mine is missing the whole thing completley tho..

I dread the windy days.. not having one period stinks.. the wind wants to take my door away from me sometimes too.. not good.. seeing how its swings almost 90 degrees open with the fender.. Hit some nice cars with that :highfive:

:bouncy:

I think i called some place and asked like for the "thing that holds the door open hinge thing" and they wanted like.. 80 bucks for it.. i was like.. chyeah.. no.. haha.

#10 ·
:rant2:
APatterson said:
My passenger side door is doing that at the "kepper opener".. Im waiting for that to go out now..

blahh..

I sure wish I could find replacement bulbs for the HVAC unit.. then the car would ALMOST be complete.. haha
I know, half of my HVAC bulbs are blown. Let me know if you find out what they are. Thanks

#11 ·
ok folks correct me if I am wrong here but I think their was a tech. bulletin about it. But I have the same problem and it is not the we are missing that peice or it is worn out it is more then likly that if you look the door is busted where the hing mounts to the door the fix to it was mount a reinforcement bracket and repaint it then put it all back together some people say they got it done for $300 to $400 but not for sure. I for one will just live with cause I refuse to spend more money on this car because just waiting for it to die then flood the ebay market with my parts when I peice it out.

#12 ·
GM makes a "repair kit" for this problem that includes some kind of strengthener and all the necessary replacement parts. The whole thing costs less than $40 as I recall from gmpartsdirect.com.
How much trouble is it going to be to remove the inside panel to replace these parts? Am I risking too much if I let a glass shop [I assume they have the most experience removing these panels to replace windows and window motors] do the work?

#13 ·
http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=87821

Re: post #9

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cracking Doors

A particularly nasty ailment that can affect the Omega and one that is a common question on this forum, is the dreaded death crack coming from the doors. If left un-attended the bracket welded to the A or B pillar (depending on whether it is the front, or back door affected) will tear. This is not good and messy to repair.

A user of this forum has documented an excellent How To covering the procedure, shown here:-

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83255http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83255

I have found that regular greasing of this area, with the weekly application of WD40, can help stop the problem becoming bad in the first place. Applying grease to the hinges every 6 months helps keeps things in fine fettle also. A small amount of grease in the lock latch units helps these stay supple and free moving also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

#17 ·
Gentlemen,
For what it's worth. I had this problem, eventually on both front doors. Took it in to my mehanic. He ordered the parts $168 cdn each. Turns out that the part did not include a bushing that was on the original arm, and has since disappeared. He also said that he had to do a FIXIT weld. It works but he says that it won't last, because the weld is flimsy due to the size of the weld area. To do a proper job the door has to be removed and sent out to the pros, i.e. $$$$. Works fine for now, and since I seldom use the car it may do for a long time. Total bill for both doors - $804.
John

#21 ·
I have the same problem with the door. But it's not a very large inconvenience for me, unless I wanted to keep the door open, I guess. Maybe for a photo shoot or something.

But as I see it right now, it's just an automatic closing door. ;)

It would be nice to fix though...

#24 ·
Not sure if mine had that same problem, because I bought it used.
But it has obviously been re-welded both on the door and the frame of the car by the previous owner, but still makes a click?
Looks like a so-so job. Just wondering if it is failing again, or if the welds fixed the problem? Definatly didnt fix the clicking noise, very annoying!

#25 ·
There is a technical bulletin somewhere that describes the problem with the door hing bracket. Cadillac has plates available that you have to weld onto the door. Or if you're handy you can make a bracket and bolt it to the door. Be generous with the height of the bracket. Check the spot weld positions of the original mounting plate. You'll have to make sure all the old hinge plate is removed. This will require removing the inside door panels and speaker. Drill out the spot welds that hold the bracket to the door. Don't let the drill bit bottom out into the interior door space. I don't think there's much clearance till ya hit the window gear. Remember that when you go to bolt the door holder back in place, that it's oriented for the proper side of the car. The 'L' face up for left side. Also be aware that there's not much clearance between the holder arm when it's fully retracted into the door and the drivers side window gear/frame.
And as usual,, if ya F%$# up and break something, this is only a guide, not a Cadillac sanctioned technical procedure. YA I had to do it to my 98 CAT. And once you're done be generous with the "Krown" rust protector. It does keep the roller/arm assembly well lubed. I think that there's not another car in the world that uses that type of mechanism!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.