: New Member - Advice from the Experts

OldsSW
03-03-06, 11:45 PM
I am currently looking at buying an '89 Cadillac Brougham, with an 86K mile Olds 307 engine. I am very familiar with 80's GM b-body cars, but have never owned a Caddy D-body.

Are there any problems that are particular to these Caddy's that I wouldn't have already seen in my numerous b-bodies? How is that electronic climate control for reliability?

Any advice would be appreciated.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-04-06, 12:49 AM
The electronic climate control in my 83 Coupe Deville still works like a charm. As far as I know they are pretty solid, I don't recall seeing many posts about them failing. The C/D-body is basically a stretched B-body, so I'm assuming they are pretty similar.

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 09:57 AM
My climate control in my 85 Brougham blows cold everytime.Heat doesnt work though.

brougham_geezer
03-04-06, 01:32 PM
I drive a b body as well, a 1985 Pontiac Parisienne, and bought a 1989 Cadillac Brougham d body about a year ago. Being familiar with b bodies, you know they're great, solid, reliable cars. In my opinion, d bodies, not suprisingly, are just the next step up. They've have everything b bodies do, and more. There are a lot of extra body bracings, and the Caddy seems to have greater structural integrity. I wasn't expecting it to be a significantly different driving experience from the Pontiac, but I was pleasantly suprised. The Parisienne is a big, solid vehicle, and really does float down the road, but the Brougham is even more of a pleasure to drive. The steering is slicker, and the ride is so smooth. It's a little slower, but hey, these are not race cars anyway. They're big, classy, beautiful cars, that are really something to be proud of, and look after.

The level-ride system, climate control, any sort of extras these d bodies have that the b's don't, are not cheap, or unreliable systems by any means. They seem to be quality systems. GM made some really invstment-worthy products in these vehicles. They last a lifetime. They're my favourite cars, period.

OldsSW
03-04-06, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't yet driven this car, so I am not sure if the climate control works. Every other electrical accessory works, including the power attenna, so I hope it does as well.

Brougham Geezer,

thanks for your input as well, being a B-body owner. I am familiar with the lack of power and performance from the 307 Olds, so I know what to expect. I currently have a Delta 88 and a Custom Cruiser both with 307 engines. It's been a while since I have driven a Brougham, but I do remember it as you described compared to other b-body sedans in terms of structural integrity. BTW, I actually used to have an '84 Parisienne, and it was an excellent car.

Any other items of issue that I should check out on this car?

89fatb
03-04-06, 10:36 PM
i have owned my 89 for two years and it has been an excellent, reliable vehicle. i have maintened everything on it and the only problem i had was i had to replace climate control componets. i drive my caddy daily roughly 40 miles a day on the freeway and my only complaint is passing power from the 307. also have to say i still get alot of compliments.:)

OldsSW
03-10-06, 12:48 PM
Thanks again for all the advice, but I have a couple of more questions.

First off I should explain that this car is currently being repossessed and it's going to take some time before I can actually buy the thing, but I am in no rush. This is also why I haven't been able to drive the car (it has no plates or insurance).

I stopped to check on the status of the car today, and while I was there I checked it out again. We had rain here for the past couple of days, and I noticed that there was some water on the front outer corners of each seat. I am assuming this is probably a windsheild leak (how I loath vinyl tops). Is there any other place the water could have come in? This car doesn't have a moonroof.

I also recall that when I drove a '91 Brougham a little while ago, I remember the steering was very light, much lighter than my other b-bodies which are light by todays standards. Did the '89's have really overboosted steering like that '91?

brougham_geezer
03-10-06, 01:00 PM
Hey OldsSW. Sounds exactley like a windshield leak to me. The top of the windshield leaks in heavy rains on my Parisienne, and that's the spot that gets wet.

I know what you mean about the steering. It's deffinitley boosted. I know there is a shock absorber on the steering system too, which adds a lot of smoothness too it. This is what mine's like, so yes, the 1989 will have it too.