: Cool Oldsmobile I saw tonight

noahsdad
03-03-06, 10:16 PM
Stopped at the store on the way home tonight, and one of these was sitting in the parking lot.

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/gallery/89touring.jpg

An '89 Oldsmobile F3 Touring Sedan. Although the one I saw was looking a little ragged, you could see that once this was a really sharp car. Trofeo style leather seats, lots of guages instead of idiot lights. Anyone know much about these? Was it just a trim package, or did they actually do some handling and performance enhancements?

CoupeDevilleRob
03-03-06, 11:40 PM
I think those were the Oldsmobile equivelant of the T-Type Buicks, which meant appearance and suspension upgrades. I agree, those are sharp looking.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 12:37 AM
LOL! Anyone know about them? I'll ask you this... what do you want to know about it? :)

The Eighty Eight Touring Sedan was a really sweet car. I had all the "sporty" things like ally wheels, fog lights and blacked out trim... inside, the fancy seats, and full gauges. It wasn't column shif, it was floor shift, with the sweet aircraft inspired throttle type shifter that actually said "PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, OVERDRIVE, DRIVE, SECOND, FIRST" It was sweet. elecornic climate control, steering wheel controls and every other option at the time.

It was very much more then a trim level...

It had a more aggressive gear ratio, 2.97 instead of the base 2.73 (optional 2.84 as well) It had stiffer, tad bit lower springs. Thicker sway bars, I think bigger disc brakes in front, tho not sure. and a couple other goodies.

They, of course, had the Series I 3800. The s/c 3800 was never offered in this car, tho it is a direct swap.... what is also a direct swap is a s/c 3800 Series II... which means ALOT of power.

it is an *AMAZING* car! It really is. 22mpg town and 33mpg highway, THAT was nothing short of amazing... running AC and lots of power on tap.

My Oldsmobile.... 1989 Eighty Eight Royale is basically a Touring Sedan in disguse. It has the optional 2.97 gearing, which is nice (off the line its very quick), and, it also has the "firm ride and handling" option, which... includes the stiffer springs and such. This car never came with a strut bar from the factory, so I got one from a '93 Bonnieville at the junkyard for $10 and swapped it in... not even 10mins and it really firmed up the front end of the car. My 4 origanal struts are pretty worn now, so the car is bouncy over bumps and a good amount of body roll... but she still zigs in the twisties... surprises me, thats for sure. I am thinking about swapping the struts out before the trip down to FL, tho I don't know if I want to spend the money on them or not... maybe I'll pass on the expensive Sensa-trac and just get some basic Monroe's... they gotta be better then whats on there now.

My Oldsmobile:

http://inoventionseast.com/Oldsmobile/Olds.jpg

http://inoventionseast.com/Oldsmobile/3800.jpg

neat video of the life of the car... since i owned it atleast....

http://inoventionseast.com/Oldsmobile/Oldsmobile1.wmv

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 12:40 AM
I think those were the Oldsmobile equivelant of the T-Type Buicks, which meant appearance and suspension upgrades. I agree, those are sharp looking.

These are a FWD car on the H-body.... a sister to the C-body... or, IOW.... nearly identical to my '93 Coupe. These cars have nearly the same engine bays, very similar doors, the underbody (and exhaust system) is the same etc....

The T-type was a G-body... RWD... basically a Grand National that looked like a Regal... totally different cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-06, 01:25 AM
The T-type was a G-body... RWD... basically a Grand National that looked like a Regal... totally different cars.

You're thinking of the Regal T-type, there was also an Electra T-Type and for a few years, a Century T-Type. The Electra T-type was pretty sporty for a Buick, just not as sporty as the Ninety Eight Touring Sedan, like it didnt have a floor shifter and center console and the full guages.

But yeah, the Ninety Eight Touring Sedans are really sweet, rare cars that are really underrated. They handle nice, have full instrumentation, bucket seats, power lumbar, and IIRC, they have like 12 way power seats too. Really cool cars considering some of the other crap that was coming out of the automotive business at the time.

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 09:26 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!An 89' Olds Eighty Eight zigging through the twisties.LOLOLOLOL.Thats like saying my 84' Pontiac 6000 zigged and zagged through the twisties.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-06, 11:49 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!An 89' Olds Eighty Eight zigging through the twisties.LOLOLOLOL.Thats like saying my 84' Pontiac 6000 zigged and zagged through the twisties.

So are you trying to piss people off?

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 11:54 AM
So are you trying to piss people off?

It's Ben's younger brother... or atleast it seems.

I stand true to my statement.

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 12:20 PM
Im not rtying to piss anyone off.I just laughed at that statement.Because its sort of an oxymoron.Just voicing my opinion.Next time i'll leave out the LOL's,and just say "Riiiiiiiiight."

CoupeDevilleRob
03-04-06, 12:34 PM
Most Buick models had a T-Type version in the 80's. The Regal T-Type was just a less obvious Grand National. There was a Riviera T-Type, the 81-85s were turbocharged, 86-88 had the N/A 3800. The FWD LeSabres and Electras had a T-Type. From 83-86 there was a Skyhawk T-Type, there was also a Skylark T-Type from 83-84. I think there was even a Somerset T-Type for one year (1986 ?). The FWD Regals had the Gran Sport package, which was basically the same thing. A 1980-1984 Electra T-Type would have been awesome. T-Type was basically the same thing as Olds F3 and Pontiac STE. Buick was so awesome in the 80's, what the hell happened?

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 01:19 PM
Im not rtying to piss anyone off.I just laughed at that statement.Because its sort of an oxymoron.Just voicing my opinion.Next time i'll leave out the LOL's,and just say "Riiiiiiiiight."

Yeah, I understand what you are saying....

kinda like "Honda" and "fast"

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 01:37 PM
Sort of,though im no honda fan.I like my nissans and mazdas. Whats the difference right?

brougham
03-04-06, 01:57 PM
I always thought those Oldsmobiles were ugly and I still do. For some reason that one reminds me of the 80s deville touring sedans.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-04-06, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying....

kinda like "Honda" and "fast"

There are some fast Hondas out there, a better oxymoron would be "Honda" and "excess of low end torque" or torque in general

Kev
03-04-06, 02:20 PM
How about; "Honda Stump Puller"?

noahsdad
03-04-06, 02:20 PM
I always thought those Oldsmobiles were ugly and I still do. For some reason that one reminds me of the 80s deville touring sedans.

I drive an '87 Sedan DeVille now, so clearly I'm not judging cars on their merits as chick magnets. This Olds Touring Sedan just reminded me of a Trofeo for grownups...

Playdrv4me
03-04-06, 03:06 PM

It is amazing what a monochrome appearance package and a few extra doo-dads do to spice up ANY car though.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 07:22 PM
There are some fast Hondas out there, a better oxymoron would be "Honda" and "excess of low end torque" or torque in general

And there are some Oldsmobiles out there that can handle well :) Thats the point :).

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 07:30 PM
Maybe,possibly.Doubt it though.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 07:35 PM
My favorite late 80's/early 90's Oldsmobile is by far the ~1991 Toronado Trofeo. I really want one... some day I'll get it. a s/c 3800 will be a driect swap in, so it'll be a quite fun car to drive. Amazing lines, hideaway headlights... very sealthy car all around. More options then a Cadillac, optional touch screen in car computer (Vicky) and a text-based driver information center just like '94+ DeVille/'92+Seville/Eldo.

http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/25/02/6b_1.JPG

http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/2b/54/a7_1.JPG

http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/25/1c/9c_1.JPG

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/24/e4/03_1.JPG

http://i1.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/26/4b/4d_1.JPG

These cars look pretty sweet in red too... the tail lights are totally stealth.

Sexy lines:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/f8/2c/53_3.JPG

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/f8/41/f4_3.JPG

sweet small quad headlights Oldsmobile used...

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/e7/05/13_12.JPG

It would be between that and the 1995 Eldorado ETC as a next "car" and I gotta say its incredibly tough to choose.... the Caddy tear drop dash is amazing, but then the interior of the Trofeo is quite a site to be seen to (sit in one) The Northstar is a great engine, but then again I am very partial to the 3800.... Cadillac means alot to be, but Oldsmobile may mean more, simply because they are now gone.... it would be a very hard decsion. The Trofeos are dirt cheap now, and still mint examples are around, I'd better scof one up before I loose the chance....

A nice all black, no chrome Trofeo would be sweet.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 07:36 PM
Maybe,possibly.Doubt it though.

Were you picked on alot in school? Because you are quite annoying....

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-06, 07:47 PM
That particlaur 88 touring was afairly sharp handleing car ...those got the FE3 suspension package ...An option you dont see alot of ....

Few years ago i took delivery of 3 2000 Lumina Police cars , 2 of which got the FE3 suspension package and the 3800II engine the other was a standard lumina with the 3400 and base suspension ...The diffrence in grip between the 2 cars is a pretty big deal ....

Based on what i can tell the olds would hang right with a Taurus SHO , but the olds would be outgunned by the Taurus with the 5 speed and much beatter (powerwise) engine ...

The best example of a well handleing olds were the Cutlass Calais , which won many SCCA touring championships , the momentum was carried on by the Achivea SC/X...Boath cars were reltivly stock , and had the HO quad 4s of as much as 180hp

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 07:55 PM
That particlaur 88 touring was afairly sharp handleing car ...those got the FE3 suspension package ...An option you dont see alot of ....

Few years ago i took delivery of 3 2000 Lumina Police cars , 2 of which got the FE3 suspension package and the 3800II engine the other was a standard lumina with the 3400 and base suspension ...The diffrence in grip between the 2 cars is a pretty big deal ....

Based on what i can tell the olds would hang right with a Taurus SHO , but the olds would be outgunned by the Taurus with the 5 speed and much beatter (powerwise) engine ...

The best example of a well handleing olds were the Cutlass Calais , which won many SCCA touring championships , the momentum was carried on by the Achivea SC/X...Boath cars were reltivly stock , and had the HO quad 4s of as much as 180hp

Correction.... the Quad4 was making upto 190hp in the early 90's... in production form :).

Still, you make great points about these cars... Olds made some amazing cars.

My Eighty Eight with the "Firm ride and handling" package (forgot the option code) and my added factory strut bar would really hold its own against some of my friends smaller, more sporty cars.... Jettas and stuff.... for the "boat" that the Olds was, that is saying quite alot. That car sometimes felt like a go-cart compared to the Caddy, as the handling and steering were just... there... push it really hard in the corners, and it would stay pretty neutral, go further and you would start to feel the front tires skip thru the steering wheel....

The 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (FWD)... basically the same car as mine, was the first mid/full size chassis production car to use a 4 wheel independent suspension.... gosh I forgot something else that was a first on that chassis... but the 1985 3800 was also the first production engine to use a distrubutorless ignition as well as Multi-Port fuel-injection system.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-06, 08:01 PM
Must have been in the achivea ...thats kinda when i lost track of the whoel deal

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 08:02 PM
Stoneage caddy has officially shut me up by proving my smack-talking wrong.I admit when im wrong.

As for being picked on in school,no.Ive always had many friends and am well respected among my peers.As for being annoying,good.If you find me annoying then that sucks for you.I wouldnt take me all that seriously if i were you.You rarely have anything good to say about anything thats not american or even anything at all,so i dont take you seriously.Yeah i can be a smart ass and make fun of crappy grand am's and oldsmobiles,but who cares,theyre just that,crappy grand am's and oldsmobiles.Alot would disagree with that statement,alot would agree.Im entitled to my opinion,as are you.Im sorry if my opinion annoys you.Most of yours annoy me too.You dont care,i dont care.Done.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 08:04 PM
http://notdadsw41.home.att.net/my_w41.htm

He said it has a 3.94 final drive... I remember hearing a few times they had as low as a 4.11.... I may be wrong though.

190hp and 170ft-lbs torque in 1991. 2.3L DOHC ~7,200RPM redline 4banger..... not Honda, but GM..... whos really playing catch up?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-06, 08:10 PM
Stoneage caddy has officially shut me up by proving my smack-talking wrong.I admit when im wrong.

As for being picked on in school,no.Ive always had many friends and am well respected among my peers.As for being annoying,good.If you find me annoying then that sucks for you.I wouldnt take me all that seriously if i were you.You rarely have anything good to say about anything thats not american or even anything at all,so i dont take you seriously.Yeah i can be a smart ass and make fun of crappy grand am's and oldsmobiles,but who cares,theyre just that,crappy grand am's and oldsmobiles.Alot would disagree with that statement,alot would agree.Im entitled to my opinion,as are you.Im sorry if my opinion annoys you.Most of yours annoy me too.You dont care,i dont care.Done.
if you knew how closely realted the SCCA championship winning Calais was to the grand am youd really wonder ....

problem is the cars dont age well , those first gen fwd N bodys are about as bad as everyone thinks but for the first 3 years of ownership they (the performace versions) were one hell of a car ...many automotive magazines raved about the Calais with the FE3 suspension and quad 4 ...

Fact of the matter is , there are more 1992 Honda Accords still on the road , and you hardly see any of the old N bodys ...The onyl thing i hate more then those accords is the totyoa corolla..becuse the people that buy these things .....are really bad drivers ...

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 08:11 PM
Must have been in the achivea ...thats kinda when i lost track of the whoel deal

Cutlass Quad 442..... W30 :)

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-06, 08:14 PM
Cutlass Quad 442..... W30 :)
i thought it only had 180 ....

wanna know something scary ...i have an article on that car in my collection ...somewhere ....

ill have to bring some of this stuff to the meet ....

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 08:14 PM
Could you get a stick with those?

YAY my hundredth post.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 08:15 PM
They were only avalible with the race-tuned 5spd Getrag.

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 08:18 PM
i thought it only had 180 ....

wanna know something scary ...i have an article on that car in my collection ...somewhere ....

ill have to bring some of this stuff to the meet ....

Nope... the Quad 4 HO was 180... the W30 was 190hp. Different cams and some other goodies... brought the redline quite high.

The W30 was a very limited production car... only 204 Cutlass 442 W41 were made in 1991... not sure on the 1990 sales figures. Basically, it was a way for Oldsmobile to enter the SCCA comp with a "production" car.... it really said alot for Oldsmobile, and GM at the time.

I'd also like a 1990/1991 Cutlass Quad 442 some day.... nice cars...

noahsdad
03-04-06, 08:32 PM
I wouldnt take me all that seriously if i were you.

It's a pretty safe bet that no one will.

Nightwolf -
Your knowledge of Oldsmobile is quite impressive. You've clearly done some studying on the brand. I almost hate to admit this, but my first experience with Olds is my wife's '03 Silhouette minivan. Through the 80s and 90s, I pretty much ignored them, even though a close relative is in quality control at GM and he was constantly trying to convince me to give them a look. But this Silhouette is just a well put together, exceptionally comfortable vehicle to drive. I'm just glad it has tinted windows so I can at least hang on to a scrap of manhood while driving it.

I'm with you all the way on the '91 Trofeo. Next one with decent miles that comes across my radar and I'm going to be very tempted to make room in the garage.

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 08:37 PM
[quote=noahsdad]It's a pretty safe bet that no one will. quote]

Thanks for the contribution there.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-04-06, 09:22 PM
Found the article and magazine , the 442 is just a few pages away from a smaller article about the "Deville STS" set to be availible april 1rst 1991...

i guess autoweek would eventually correct the issue witht he name ....but it even has a pic of the car ....

anyway ...for the OLD 442

it ran the 1/4 mile in under 14.9 seconds ....

also in the article is a photo of the car doing an insane smoky burnout ....ill bring it along with a few others

Night Wolf
03-04-06, 09:55 PM
It's a pretty safe bet that no one will.

Nightwolf -
Your knowledge of Oldsmobile is quite impressive. You've clearly done some studying on the brand. I almost hate to admit this, but my first experience with Olds is my wife's '03 Silhouette minivan. Through the 80s and 90s, I pretty much ignored them, even though a close relative is in quality control at GM and he was constantly trying to convince me to give them a look. But this Silhouette is just a well put together, exceptionally comfortable vehicle to drive. I'm just glad it has tinted windows so I can at least hang on to a scrap of manhood while driving it.

I'm with you all the way on the '91 Trofeo. Next one with decent miles that comes across my radar and I'm going to be very tempted to make room in the garage.

I have always liked Oldsmobile... but when I got my Eighty Eight, and it proved to be a sweet car... not in styling, or speed, or performance.... but just all around, did everything I asked it to do and more... it really made me like the brand more, and therefore do alot more reasearch. Obviously none of this stuff is anything close to, say a 1970 Cutlass 442 W31.... but in its own right Oldsmobile in the 80's and 90's had lots of advancements that seem to be forgotten today. I really started to grow an attachment to Oldsmobile when GM decided, after over 100 years, to kill Olds.

There is too much style, too much heritage... too much of a cool factor to let Olds go. While my 88 wont be around forever (kinda has an underbody rust problem) I'll be certain I always own an Oldsmobile... that Trofeo looks to be in my future, and I like the Quad442... 1996 Cutlass Supreme Convertible is a sweet looking car, 2nd gen Aurora would be a great luxury daily driver.... and if I ever wanted a nice project car for a big block Caddy... besides a Caddy.... a 1987 Cutlass G-body :). There are plenty of Olds I like, in the future when I get my own place and a large garage, I'll be able to pick up a few... maybe even get my favorite muscle car of all... the 1970 Cutlass 442 with the W31 hood :).

http://usera.imagecave.com/blonzz/442Convertible/442Convertible022SM.jpg

This would be the Cutlass Supreme Convertible. This is a '94 and has the older interior, I like the 1995/1996 interior alot more, and, if I ever got one, it would be a 1995/1996. I would also want the incredibly rare combo of the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam V6 and the 5spd manual.

Love the sweet small Oldsmobile quad headlights...

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/a/06/52/b0/4a

Nice lines, lip spoiler, dual exhaust.... that top isn't down correctly... dosn't look right... but still, nice car.

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/a/06/52/b0/65

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/a/06/5a/dc/3c

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/a/06/59/62/99

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_pho_img2.cfm?img=http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/a/06/52/6f/33

About the Shilhouette.... its a sweet minivan. My friends family had an '01, fully loaded... thing would cruise at nearly 100 like nothing. Leaher seats were high quality and had loads of options and features.... and it was quite fast for a minivan too. I like them.

I know some magainze testers got the Quad442 to run as low as a 14.6, stock, in the 1/4. For an NA 4 cylinder in 1990.... that is quite impressive.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-06, 02:21 AM
And there are some Oldsmobiles out there that can handle well :) Thats the point :).

Oh I'm not saying there dont make some good handling cars. For example, the Cutlass Calais 442 and International Series, Toronado Trofeo, Aurora, and the Touring Sedans of course, many others too, I can't remember though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-06, 02:27 AM
Oldsmobile is right under Cadillac for my favorite GM divisions. :)

Night Wolf
03-05-06, 02:41 AM
Oh I'm not saying there dont make some good handling cars. For example, the Cutlass Calais 442 and International Series, Toronado Trofeo, Aurora, and the Touring Sedans of course, many others too, I can't remember though.

Aurora, both 1st and 2nd gen are quite zippy too.... basically a Seville STS...

ah, you mentioned it... didn't see it at first.

Achiva SC/X :).

Night Wolf
03-05-06, 02:42 AM
Oldsmobile is right under Cadillac for my favorite GM divisions. :)

tied for me :).

Destroyer
03-05-06, 02:54 PM
Where exactly was the cool Olds?. All I see is some 80's POS.:thepan: Check out my ex 67 Olds, now that was a cool Olds.

AirJigga25
03-05-06, 08:21 PM
I miss my 88 olds cutlass supreme coupe....

that thing rocked

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-05-06, 10:02 PM
I miss my 88 olds cutlass supreme coupe....

that thing rocked

I've heard a lot of good things about those old G (?) bodies! People really seemed to like them, especially the Cutlasses.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-05-06, 11:12 PM
that one wasnt a G body , those were GM-10 cars , front wheel drive ...the cutalss was the best looking of that platform ...

then again it could be a 88 rear drive cutlass coupe , there were a few sold as 88s that were leftover 87s ...ive seen one , had a speical badge ont he rear ....the owner wedged a 403 in it ...car went like stink , and from the outside looked bone stock ...

Night Wolf
03-05-06, 11:40 PM
Where exactly was the cool Olds?. All I see is some 80's POS.:thepan: Check out my ex 67 Olds, now that was a cool Olds.

Well, I'll take it easy on you because you USED to be part of "The Family"... and you had a very cool Oldsmobile....

but these cars are much more then "some 80's POS", thats for sure :).

Night Wolf
03-05-06, 11:42 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about those old G (?) bodies! People really seemed to like them, especially the Cutlasses.

'88 was the first year for the FWD body.

I agree with Mike, the Cutlass was the best looking... I was never a fan of the 6000, though the digital dash on those things were kinda neat... actually, the STE had lots of cool options... tire inflator in the trunk, and even a rare AWD version! Buick Century was eh..... Oldsmobile for me tho :).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-06, 01:09 AM
'88 was the first year for the FWD body.

Like Mike said, I believe there were a few of the old rear drives sold in 1988. I believe they called the final ones "Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham Classic"

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 02:46 AM
Like Mike said, I believe there were a few of the old rear drives sold in 1988. I believe they called the final ones "Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham Classic"

Now thats a mouth full! say that 5 times fast :).

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 02:49 AM
Neat artical on the final generations of the Cutlass...

I like the part "Whatever it is, call it a Cutlass and it will sell" I remember reading that the 1995 Cutlass, basically the same thing as the 1987 FWD Cutlass was selling more then fresh, updated 1995 cars... GM coudln't keep up with the demand of them....

Also, if you notice, this does confrim Mike's statement about a 1988 RWD Cutlass.... very neat.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jc/88-97cutlass.htm

davesdeville
03-06-06, 08:03 AM
Quick question for you Olds nuts. Whats the curb weight on one of the 90-92 Trofeos?

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 11:52 AM
3,462lbs

Somewhat hefty, but not too bad. Its a very solid car.

1991/1992 would be the year to have... 170hp 3800, standard antilock brakes and steering wheel controls, it got the 4T60E over the 440T-4 etc...

seriesoneperformance.com You can really build up the Seires I 3800 pretty nice now. A s/c Series I 3800 is a direct swap in, 205hp stock, add a smaller pully and you are up to 240hp, start doing some other go-fast mods, and honestly, 300hp isn't far out at all... from a Series I 3800. Torque is something the 3800 has lots of, so with, say, 300hp... its a safe bet that there would be atleast 350ft-lbs of torque.

Go thru a bit more work and swap in a s/c Series II 3800, and the possibilites are endless.. my fathers lightly modded '99 Grand Prix GTP weighs about 3,600lbs, runs a low 14 in the 1/4 mile, yet gets 23mpg town and 34mpg highway... and it has about 115k miles on it now.

My '89 Eighty Eight was a very quick car, yeah, it ran a 16.9s @ 79mph int he 1/4 mile, but I wasn't pushing it either. Mine is 165hp with the older cast iron intake manifold.

The '91/'92 Trofeo is a car I am seriosuly considering... its cheap, and there are still mint ones to be had. It would be an excelent daily driver, I am very biased towards Oldsmobile and the 3800, so its a perfect match for me. Then, later on when its time to make it fast, it'll be easy enough.

Perhaps the best thing about the Trofeo.... there is nothing like it. Unlike other GM cars that every divsion got... the Toronado is totally unique. The only car that shared the platform was the Buick Reatta, which was a 2-seater, that in itself is very unique as well, but it'll never top the Trofeo in my eyes. Totally unique yet used stuff from the GM parts bin... that means in 15 years from now finding stuff like a turn signal stalk or power window motor will be as hard as walking into an auto shop and picking it up.

Vicky is a toss up, yes, it is totally cool in every way possible... but at the same time, I love my music and sound systems, and I would be upgrading the sound system in it, and with VIC, you are pretty much limited, from a head unit stand point, on whatever GM decided you should have, back in 1990. Without VIC the radio is basically a standard double-DIN... so it is alot more easy. You still have the full driver information center with text display on the dash, just no touch-screen TV play with.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-06, 12:05 PM
seriesoneperformance.com You can really build up the Seires I 3800 pretty nice now. A s/c Series I 3800 is a direct swap in, 205hp stock, add a smaller pully and you are up to 240hp, start doing some other go-fast mods, and honestly, 300hp isn't far out at all... from a Series I 3800. Torque is something the 3800 has lots of, so with, say, 300hp... its a safe bet that there would be atleast 350ft-lbs of torque.

You can honestly get that kind of power out a series I 3800? I thought all the aftermarket was geared towards the Series II with the newer computers and stuff.

Perhaps the best thing about the Trofeo.... there is nothing like it. Unlike other GM cars that every divsion got... the Toronado is totally unique. The only car that shared the platform was the Buick Reatta, which was a 2-seater

What about the Rivieras?

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 04:50 PM
MOST is for the Seires II.

Back when I got my Oldsmobile, I found seriesoneperformance.com They hardly had anything.

Check it out now, you can build a total performance engine from a Series I. Some things are expensive IMO, like $300 for a cam... but its all there.

Keep in mind the 300hp/350ft-lbs torque figure I gave was s/c. Think about it, 205hp and 250ft-lbs torque stock. Slap on a smaller s/c pully and you just gained about 35hp, that is 240hp nearly stock... put it in a car with an open intake, free flowing exaust.... swap out the cam for something a little hotter, get those 1.7 ratio rocker arms in, the hotter ignition coils etc.... and damn, you'll be making more power then you can think of.

The Riv is a later car, that was around 1995? IIRC that is on a similar chassis to the Aurora, the Buick version of the Toro was the Reatta.... both are smaller and older then the Riv... atleast the one with the s/c 3800. I may be wrong tho.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-06-06, 06:01 PM
Yeah the 95-99 Riv is the G body, along with the Aurora, I meant the '86-93 Riviera.

Destroyer
03-06-06, 06:57 PM
Well, I'll take it easy on you because you USED to be part of "The Family"... and you had a very cool Oldsmobile....

but these cars are much more then "some 80's POS", thats for sure :).What do you mean, used to be part of "The Family"?. I still have my Fleetwood. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 08:10 PM
What do you mean, used to be part of "The Family"?. I still have my Fleetwood. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and Oldsmobile never made a Fleetwood :).

"The family" is anyone with an Oldsmobile... in my eyes :). GM killed Oldsmobile, GM sucks on that part, so now there is a tight nitched family :).... its kinda different with the Caddys.....

I dunno if the older Riv is same chassis as Toro... it probably is.... still... 2 or 3 cars on 1 chassis isn't bad... not when something like the J, C, or D body was used numerous times....

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 08:14 PM
I kinda sumed up the Olds family thing here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/567410-post31.html

:) :) :)