: Marred Wheels ... What's the Best Fix?

rand49er
03-03-06, 06:02 PM
I had one of my OEM wheels with a worn runflat face down in the "spare tire" well for a couple of months now, and when I took it out the other day, it had apparently rubbed a bit on the aluminum foil type stuff at the bottom of the well. Now, there are three spokes with slight marring to the surface. I've rubbed them very carefully but vigorously, but it's into the finish. :eek:

What's the best way to fix this? The Goodyear dealer said there are people out there that would do it for 100 bucks. If that's the case, there's goes my next mod. :rant2: Could it just be aluminum and I need to put more elbow behind it to get it cleaned?

urbanski
03-03-06, 06:23 PM
well
you could ship them here
http://www.fixrim.com/
but they are expensive!!
You could ask any body shop in town, or search for wheels in your town on yellowpages.com
You could likewise search for chroming or powdercoating places...or ship them here http://www.oemrims.com/ for chroming at 125/wheel.

AmesCTS-V
03-03-06, 06:31 PM
I bought some rims off ebay that had bad deep scratches all over the rims. I sent them out to be chromed and they fixed them up like new. So yeah there are places out there that do it.

crowan
03-03-06, 06:48 PM
Check with your dealer and/or other high-end dealers (BMW, MB, Porsche etc.). They usually have a contractor who will visit the dealership and buff out and paint the wheels of their customers cars. The contractors charge in the the area of $35-40 per wheel. I've used the process several times before and you can't tell where the work was done.

CR

homer403
03-03-06, 07:04 PM
crowan, who did you use?

Derek

Florian
03-03-06, 07:19 PM
I had all 4 wheels refinished to better than oem...cost me 595.

F

rand49er
03-03-06, 08:09 PM
...cost me 595...:eek: What is that, just shy of a buck-and-a-half per wheel? Hm-m, can't do that. I'm doing too many other mods too close together ... THAT would surface to a level just into my wife's radar! Oh no, uh-uh. Guess I was looking for some magic bullet or something, or some remedy I hadn't heard of before. I'll probably suffer with it for a while till I build up my V fund again. :banghead:

crowan
03-03-06, 08:21 PM
crowan, who did you use?

Derek

Good As New Wheel Repair
ask for Sonny
410-212-1339 (cell)

He makes the rounds at dealerships in the Baltimore-Washington-No.VA area and does great work. Last year he was perfecting a chrome repair process as well. I meet him at a dealership, go have a cup of coffee, come back and drive away.

CR