: Oil Leak

cadsteve
03-03-06, 05:18 PM
Hello. I just recently took my 93 sts in for an oil leak diagnosis and was told that the rear head gasket was externally leaking oil. This did not sound right to me, so when i got home i checked and could not find evidence of this.I guess my question is, does this sound right? and is it even possible.Thanks for any input

cadsteve
03-03-06, 05:30 PM
Hello.I just recently took my car in for an oil leak. I was told that my rear head gasket was leaking oil.This did not sound right to me, so when i got home i checked and could not find any evidence of this. Does this sound right? Thankyou for any advice.

eldorado1
03-03-06, 05:47 PM
Pressurized oil does indeed flow to the heads for cam lubrication and lifter pressurization. I too have a very minor (drop or two) leak, but it's on the inside of the block, you wouldn't notice it unless you pulled the intake. You can tell exactly where it's coming from because one side is dry and the other side is moist.

Ranger
03-03-06, 06:15 PM
Not saying that it is not possible, pressrized oil does flow through the heads, but I would think if the gasket was breached enough or loose enough for oil to leak, you'd have bigger problems. A little seepage is nothing to worry about if that is all it is. If it is Northstar, some people would blame the head gasket for a flat tire. Get a second opinion. BTW, who did you get the first from?

cadsteve
03-04-06, 06:35 AM
Thankyou guys for the replies.The reason i had taken the car in was because i had oil burning on my exhaust(it is worse the "harder" i drive it).Sitting at a stop light or stop sign i can actually see smoke coming out of the drivers side of the hood.I'm getting worried about it catching on fire.In answer to Rangers question, i took it to my dad's mechanic(not a caddy dealer, but apparently he worked at GM for over twenty years).The only oil accumulation i could see, seems to be coming from somewhere above the alternator(do not know where).Thanks again for the replies,i guess i'm going to have to keep searching for this leak.

zonie77
03-04-06, 11:08 PM
Try cleaning the engine. It should make it easier to locate the leak.