: Please Help!!!!!!!!!

Lacman
03-03-06, 01:58 AM
I have a 1994 cadillac STS wont start. 4 days ago i started noticing that the power wasnt all there and the next few mornings the start up on the car sounded like it was starving for fuel. Well yesterday it didnt start at all. So i put a new fuel pump as well as regulator and a new filter. STILL nothing. So i checked for fire and i am getting nice spark and good fuel pressure. Still no cranky, cranky. So now $700 later I have a car that does not turn over and have no idea what it could be. I tryed a little starting fluid but no go. If anyone has any little clue please let me know.
Thank you

Ranger
03-03-06, 03:52 AM
I assume you put a fuel pressure guage on it and checked for fuel pressure? A new fuel pump won't help if the fuse or relay is bad. Sounds as though ingition is ruled out.

Lacman
03-03-06, 08:56 AM
I checked all the fuses but can't find any relays onthis car. She spins but no go. I don't want to jump to any conclusion but is there any way it might havejumped timming cause i can't figure out anything else. It's getting fuel and fire. What else could it be??????????????

Harry Yarnell
03-03-06, 08:57 AM
I'm confused. You said there was spark and fuel pressure. Then you say it won't crank.
If it doesn't crank, I think of dead battery or problems with the VATS (Passkey).

Lacman
03-03-06, 09:19 AM
i'm sorry it does crank but will not fire off. There is nothing wrong with the battery.

zonie77
03-03-06, 10:25 AM
What fuel pressure do you have?

tactical64
03-03-06, 11:05 AM
I would think in your case some sort of trouble scanner could pick up on why your care will not fire.

Ranger
03-03-06, 01:15 PM
I checked all the fuses but can't find any relays onthis car. She spins but no go. I don't want to jump to any conclusion but is there any way it might havejumped timming cause i can't figure out anything else. It's getting fuel and fire. What else could it be??????????????
Jumping timing like in the old days when a timing gear wore and you jumped a tooth it hightly unlikely from my understanding of the Northstar. It has to be fire or fuel. I'd go back and check fuel pressure and spark again.

Lacman
03-04-06, 01:44 AM
Ok i did some testing and everything is still not working. Is there anyway it could be the crank angle sensor????????

zonie77
03-04-06, 07:57 PM
Ok i did some testing and everything is still not working. Is there anyway it could be the crank angle sensor????????

??????????????????????. everything is still not working?...Did you check fuel pressure? What was it?:thepan:

scorpio
03-04-06, 09:57 PM
Questions

#1 How well maintained is the car, do you service it on a regular schedule?

#2 Are you familiar with the OBDCII console, if yes, please post the codes, if you are not familiar with OBDCII please have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum " got codes (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/53635-got-codes-look-here.html)"

Got Codes
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/53635-got-codes-look-here.html

#3 Post all tests performed and parts you have replaced.

#4 Was there any work done to the car just prior to the failure, say within a coupla weeks or so.

#5 Is there an odor of gasoline when you crank the engine?

#6 Did you recently get gas when the station had a tanker delivering fuel. Never get gas when a station is getting a delivery. the tankers stir up all kinds of muck from the bottom of the tanks.

This is not a VATS passkey problem, if it were the car would not crank at all and the display would throw a SECURITY warning.

I'm not a mechanic, just a computer geek who has a Caddy with mechanical problems handed down to him by his pops. diagnosing problems is relativly standard on any system. Think about any recent changes that could have affected the car, make a list of what you know is good, make a list of what's not working. When the subsystem(s) have been culled down to a list of suspects, diagnose and replace components one at a time. Eventualy the source of the problem will be found through process of elimination. It may not be the quickest way to fix a problem but it works for guys like me who don't know squat about cars beyond changing the oil or throwing on a new set of brake pads.

One last note, posters who include the nature of the problem in the subject line will attract more people with expert knowledge for their specific problem. "Starting problem 94 STS" is an example. Otherwise you wind up with kooks like me ;)

Cadillacforums.com rocks!

eldorado1
03-04-06, 11:23 PM
Put the fuel pressure gauge back on, and have a helper crank the car while you watch the pressure gauge. Report back what you see here.