: Want to complain about COPS? *Video*

Rolex
03-03-06, 12:46 AM
Dial up beware

These videos are amazing. They're regarding the whole process of citizens filing a complaint about a police officer. I have always been under the impression that this was something you could do easily if needed, though I have never done it. You'll be shocked when you watch these videos. :eek: Check out parts 1 & 2.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_033170755.html

96-deville-man
03-03-06, 01:41 AM
That cheif in the second part was a douch. thats really messed up. but it goes on anywere even were i live. Me and my friend were driving my car, on 66th street and had a sheriff slow down to run our tag and then followed us for about 5mins. It sucks but thats how the world is now adays.

gary88
03-03-06, 01:43 AM
Pretty shocking. Seems to be the older cops for the most part who start the problems.

LittleB
03-03-06, 02:34 AM
Wow...that is crazy. Thank god they are now investigating those officers. That is just horrible and further justifies the bad rep that cops have. I am all for the "good" cops...they are very brave and I commend them for what they do but I couldn't believe some of the ronsponses they caught on tape, ESPECIALLY the one where he followed the guy outside. That was so wrong and I am glad they did that investigation. The racial profiling thing was good too...geeeeez. Thanks for sharing Rolex.

Katshot
03-03-06, 07:03 AM
I've run into that same thing around where I live. A few years ago, my son had an accident, and by the time I got to the scene, the cops had him figured as being at fault. Most likely due to his being a kid vs. the other party being middle-aged. Anyway, after getting into a minor scuffle with the first officer I ran into (nothing physical, just verbal) concerning where I had parked my car upon arriving at the scene, I ran over to check on my son and talk to the police. First trying to accertain who was in charge at the scene was hard enough but then trying to find out what was the sequence of events that would be entered in the accident report was even harder. After pressing the issue and letting the ranking officer know that I had accident scene investigation experience, he finally talked to me. I had him run me through what HE felt had happened. Turned out the guy was totally backwards and so I went over with him what I believed had happened. At that point, the officer shook his head and told me that he hadn't noticed some of the key points that I had showed him, and that he now believed I was correct. He verified that he would make sure the report showed that the other party was at fault.
Well, long story short, when the accident report was released, it stated that my son was at fault, and when I went to the police station to confront the officer, I was brow-beaten by the temporary chief of police and told over and over that once a police report is written, it cannot be changed. I tried over and over to contact the officer involved but was never able to get to him. Since the report said my son was at fault, we got nothing for the accident (the car was only insured for liability), and as it turned out, even my insurance company swept the whole thing under the rug. I requested an investigator who ended up siding with me but still, I never got anywhere. It was a total disaster that all started with the cop on the scene screwing me.

Zorb750
03-03-06, 12:19 PM
Police report can't be changed... But it can be ammended. That happened to me in 2001. "Due to considerations and evidence which had not presented itself at the time of the accident, we have determined that this accident was caused by vehicle number 2 making a right turn on a red light while vehicle number 1 had a green light while going straight through the intersection." That's almost word for word. I sent that to my insurance company (AAA) who cited some kind of stupid "law" which my agent had never heard of, nor had my lawyer, that said after x number of days insurance record of cault could not be changed. I switched insurance companies, sent them the report to explain the mark on my record, and I was no longer at fault.

It was a huge pain in the a$$ to get that witness's statement used on the report though.

Spyder
03-03-06, 01:19 PM
Wow... ... ...

FastCTS
03-03-06, 01:27 PM
Very unprofessional and wrong not to have and give a complaint form to anyone who request it. Chances are 99% that wouldn't happen in Ca., we give out forms. At my dept. you could walk in, call in or go to any city library and get a complaint form.
I had a complaint filed against me once for allegedly using vulgar language towards a driver I stopped for a traffic violation. My supervisor called me in and said this doesn't sound like something you would do. I told him it doesn't because I didn't do it. After the investigation was completed I was called back in and told they had found a woman who had been watering her lawn and witnessed the traffic stop and said I had not used any vulgar language and acted very professional during the traffic stop. Generally when you make a complaint against a police officer on my dept. you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent.

Retired Cop------Protect Help And Care.

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 02:08 PM
I can honestly say nothing like that has ever happened to me.The city cops(Casselberry) are especially nice and understanding,and im an 18 year old kid with a cadillac.Same goes for the Seminole county cops ive dealt with,they have all been really fair and understanding with me,and ive had quite a few run-ins with them.Dont get me wrong,im not too fond of the police in general,but i cant really complain about the ones ive dealt with here in central florida.Those cops in south florida however,should seriously be investigated or even suspended for the crap that they pulled on those videos.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-03-06, 08:24 PM
In NYC complaints against cops are handled by an independent civilian review board. You can file a complaint at a precinct, but you can also do it at the CCRB office downtown. This system means the Police Department really can't screw with complaints, which the cops naturally hate. Some cops live in fear of getting a complaint, I say just do your job the way you're expected to and you won't have a problem. The worst cops I've dealt with are New York State Troopers, really pompous and full of themselves. I've heard New Jersey Troopers are even worse (the word Gestapo comes to mind). New York City cops are pretty cool. In quiet neighborhoods, like mine, they do as little as possible to get by, i.e. don't bother me, I don't bother you. In busy areas they're more concerned with getting real criminals instead of messing with people for petty stuff. But of course there are douche bags who ruin it for all the good cops, like the guys in the video.

beemer2k
03-03-06, 10:11 PM
It seems that everyone has a story about how they were screwed over by a cop and/or the system that pays him to protect and serve. Not good. It's a shame that you can't trust cops to be reasonable and respectful anymore. Older friends tell me that they remember a time when they were relieved to see a police officer, and if you were given a hard time by a cop, then you really deserved a lot worse. Now, police departments seem to be filled with ex-high school athletes who weren't good enough to play college ball, but didn't want to give up the "big man on campus" status. Thugs hired to write tickets and push you around. And woe to the guy that tries to defend his opinion to one of these guys and doesn't have a law background.:thepan:

Inevitably, whenever I offer my thoughts about police officers in general, someone will chime in and say "Well, what about all the times when the police helped you?!" To which I respond: " THAT'S WHAT THE %^&* THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!!" :rant2: Yes, they're supposed to reasonable and respectful at all times! They are supposed to be helpful! Police aren't hired just because they are handy with a sidearm in tight situations. They are supposed to be hired because they are interested in serving their community. That's why they do the job, isn't it? It sure as hell can't be the money. Everybody knows that cops are underpaid, but it doesn't stop people from signing up to go to the academy, does it? How much money would make it ok to get shot at?

There are cops who do their job and help people solve problems and there are cops that just get off on being in authority. Personally, I think the good cops are vastly outnumbered.

thu
03-03-06, 11:17 PM
This really appalls me. This smacks of Totalitarianism.

The cops are supposed to police the peace. But who's policing the cops?

I think by and large cops are good people. Indeed there are many good cops and I'm happy that they're around and proud of them. However, I'm afraid larger numbers of them are bad cops like in the video in the earlier post. I'm also afraid too many of them think they're above the law.

It may be in certain parts of this great country of ours that you cannot or are afraid to call the cops for help.

Thank God for the Second Amendment so we can protect ourselves and not have to depend on someone else to do that if need be.

SHERIFF
03-05-06, 12:58 AM
I'm not going to get into this debate much. But let me tell all you folks my opinion in 100 words or less............

.......this is the year 2006, and YOU have no rights whatsoever when interacting with a coppie or coppette anymore.

Remember that thing we use to call the Constitution? Forget it. Your constitutional rights will be violated up one side and down the other. And if you have the time and money to take them on thereafter...... they will lie and deny for each other until the sun sets.

Let me point you to what happens when a good coppie blows the whistle on the bad coppies and coppettes he works with, the coppies and coppettes who are suppose to protecting and serving you and your community. The good cop lost his job, but at least the bad cops had to pay him $380,000.

LINK ---- > http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/news/features/1/2381601.html

TEXT:

Former Officer Alleges Corruption in Albemarle County Police Department

February 27, 2006

Albemarle County, Virginia -- In a special in-depth report we reveal the story of one former Albemarle County police officer who says he was so distraught by the corruption in the department that he sued them, and won. He settled his most recent lawsuit this past December.

It sounds like something from a movie: taped conversations, plenty of courtroom drama and one officer blowing the whistle to fight for what he thought was right.

Karl Mansoor joined the Albemarle County Police Department in 1994. He was a patrol officer from Norfolk looking to settle down with his wife and seven children. He thought it was his dream job--but that soon became short-lived.

"I started noticing double standards within the department, and I started finding out and learning about cover-ups of inappropriate or criminal activity in the department," said Mansoor.

What first caught Mansoor's attention were rumors of a high-ranking female officer fondling teen-aged girls in the student explorers program. Concerned, Mansoor says he alerted Police Chief John Miller to other related incidents of sexual harassment. He promised an investigation, but Mansoor alleges that never happened.

"It seemed like he just didn't want to hear that information," said Mansoor.

That was only the beginning. Over the next few years, Mansoor claims he observed shooting cover-ups, witnessed suspect beatings and watched as the same officers involved were promoted. When he spoke up he says a superior officer threatened him.

"He said if I continued to associate with certain people, that was other people that were also speaking up about problems in the department, that I wasn't going to get anywhere in the department," explained Mansoor.

Mansoor wasn't ready to back down. In 1997, three years after he began, Mansoor took another route. He secretly began recording hours of conversations with Chief Miller and other high-ranking officers. In one conversation Mansoor confronts his then sergeant about being written up for not changing the oil in his police car, although he says no one else was.

(Audio Tape)
Karl: "I just wish that policies would be adhered to the same for everybody in the department.

Sergeant: "It's difficult for me to comment on that."

Karl: "I know."

"There was nothing that I couldn't do that I wouldn't get reprimanded for, even petty, petty things," said Mansoor.

Eventually though, the burden of knowing too much took its toll on Mansoor.

"I did tell the Chief that it was adversely affecting my health what I had been through and I felt that it was a work related concern. They took that opportunity to have me see a shrink," said Mansoor.

When Mansoor returned to work, he was forbidden to talk about anything negative concerning the police department. Mansoor says it was a violation of his first amendment rights, so he sued.

In 2002, he made headlines when a Federal Appeals court agreed with Mansoor. He won $180,000 dollars on behalf of the Albemarle County Police Department. During that suit, the chief never denied Mansoor's strong performance.

"I have never questioned Karl's service on the street,"said Chief Miller in one video deposition.

"He's a good officer?," asked Karl's attorney.

"I would say yes, he is," he replied.

Even after the suit, Mansoor continued working, but his problems only got worse.

"I guess lines were drawn and those that felt the same way that I did continued to be associated with me and supportive, where as those who decided they didn't want to speak up would limit their interaction with me," said Mansoor.

It got so bad, Mansoor says at times he was left without backup on calls. At this point he had enough. Feeling ousted by the same officers he once trusted, in 2004 Mansoor resigned and sued them once again--this time for forcing him out. This past December, they settled out of court for $200,000 dollars.

"Is it possible that some of the things that you've spoken about, maybe you exaggerated them a little bit?" asked reporter Sarah Batista.

"No I don't think I exaggerated them, if anything I...understated them. I was constantly trying to give people or incidents the benefit of the doubt," replied Mansoor.

Today, Mansoor is trying hard to move on with his family. He's working with a private security company. He's even considering writing a book about all of this and while the money he won in his lawsuit helped him financially, he says in the end it's not about the money. By telling his story he hopes the Albemarle County Police Department will, as he says, "clean up their act."

Mansoor stated, "I'd like to see officers treated fairly, and in terms citizens treated fairly, that's what I'd like to see."

The police department declined all requests for interviews, but in a statement released Monday Albemarle County Spokesperson Lee Catlin stated: "Mr. Karl Mansoor is a former county employee who has been involved in a number of matters of litigation against the county which have all been resolved. We don't have any additional comments on Mr. Mansoor's employment tenure or litigation issues at this time."

SHERIFF
03-05-06, 01:07 AM
ps - I will add that I sued the same department over an incident that took place back in 1997.

As soon as the judge set a definite date for the jury trial of my lawsuits, the cases were settled out of court.

Your tax dollars at work.

illumina
03-05-06, 01:25 AM
My dad is a cop and my uncle is a cop. Both are near retirement (I'm glad about that!) and they have been pretty damned good cops during their respective careers.

When I got into my accident last year, the cop that was in charge didn't cite me for the cause of the accident (even though my insurance did). Because of that, my insurance bill for two registered Cadillacs per month on liability runs around $55.00...

The above situation doesn't mean that all cops that I've ran into are good ones. In fact, the last time I was ticketed, the officer that issued my ticket was quite an ass and he was also a little younger than I am. That sort of pissed me off on that one, and his buddy was eyeballing me like a common crack addict in need of a hard fix...

SHERIFF
03-05-06, 03:53 PM
My dad is a cop and my uncle is a cop. Both are near retirement (I'm glad about that!) and they have been pretty damned good cops during their respective careers.

They were from the old school. They probably were good decent honest hard working coppies. They're no comparison to the rambo rookies roaming the streets nowadays.

When I got into my accident last year, the cop that was in charge didn't cite me for the cause of the accident (even though my insurance did). Because of that, my insurance bill for two registered Cadillacs per month on liability runs around $55.00...

Trust me, you didn't get any special favors. Coppies and coppettes nowadays write as few tickets in "traffic accidents" as they have to. The judge throws most charges out anyway and leaves the matter to the insurance companies to fight.

The above situation doesn't mean that all cops that I've ran into are good ones. In fact, the last time I was ticketed, the officer that issued my ticket was quite an ass and he was also a little younger than I am.

Also known as a RAMBO ROOKIE! He's going to wipe out all crime within his first 6 months on the job! :)

That sort of pissed me off on that one, and his buddy was eyeballing me like a common crack addict in need of a hard fix...

His partner was wondering why you felt you had any constitutional rights in 2006. He could tell you felt you had some constitutional rights for some reason. If you had looked at him/her crosseyed he/she probably would have beaten you silly with a baton and charged you with resisting arrest. :thepan:

-------------------------------

To add a little more spice to this subject.... have any of you noticed the volume of cops getting arrested for soliciting juveniles on the Internet for underage sex. It's a major epidemic out here. In all 50 states. You would think they of all people would know better. And the funny part.... the little girls they are talking to and getting ready to rape are actually coppies or coppettes on the other end of the conversation! They drive down to McDonalds to meet the little 13-year-old girl of their sick fantasy and are surrounded by coppies and coppettes immediately. :bouncy:

tstach
03-06-06, 01:34 PM
I don't like the double-standard with regards to traffic laws - primarily speeding.

I see so many county sherriffs screaming down the interstates around here doing 80+ MPH. No lights on and sometimes chatting on their cell phone. Then the next day, they're out shooting radar and writing speeding tickets.

Lost a lot of respect for traffic cops.

Maybe we should start running dash cams and getting some of this on tape.

SilverV
03-06-06, 02:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Zorb750
03-07-06, 03:06 AM
I can't say all cop experiences for me were bad, but the two come to mind as rediculous.

1: Improper use of horn. What the hell is this? I mean maybe I held it down a little too long, but what the cop said at the end totally put it over the top. I was on a fairly long road, straight, but mostly no passing. Speed limit 55 mph. I was the lead car in the group, there was someone else ahead of me, but it was by a quarter mile or so, so not really that close. A driver coming out of a side street turned so close in front of me that I was forced to brake hard enough that the car behind me (not tailgating) almost hit me. I stayed back, ignored it, waiting for the guy to get his speed up. He never did. He kept up a speed of around 27 to 29 mph for over a mile (yes, I did look by my trip odometer). At a little over half a mile, I tapped the horn 3 or 4 times, short taps, not holding it down, and flashed high beam headlights 2 or 3 times. The idiot ignored it. Still being no passing, I was screwed. Just over the mile mark, I was getting quite annoyed. I flashed my lights again, then depressed the horn - and held it down. I let go once he moved out of the way into a subdivision entrance and sat there. About a mile later, I was stopped by a deputy of Oakland County who had been about 3 cars behind me during the whole thing. I explained my side of the story, he more or less agreed, but said I was still wrong to use the horn in that manner, saying (exact words!) "You should stay away from someone like that. He's probably drunk." I am 90% sure that that cop was waiting for someone to finally get annoyed enough to pass in the no passing area. It should be noted that I did not get very close to or tailgate the idiot who cut me off. His car was not producing smoke, steam, or anything else, and did not appear to be otherwise damaged. All his lights were working and he did not have hazard lights (flashers) turned on. The ticket was not expensive, I didn't even bother fighting it because it was a no point offense with a $60 fine. The original ticket's framed and hanging on the wall of my office. This was in my Grand Cherokee. I wanted so badly to say something like "Well if he's probably drunk, shouldn't you be writing him a ticket instead of me?" but kept quiet about it. What a stupid cop.

2: Careless driving ticket for a chirp of tires driving away at less than a quarter throttle from a light in Royal Oak, MI from the Royal Oak police. Cop was a total jerk, telling me how big a break careless driving was because he should have written me 3 tickets for unsafe start, noise, and reckless driving. The chirp came from my front wheels (Eldorado) being on a painted line at the intersection. Anyone who has had their tires chirp over a line will understand. It wasn't even enough wheelspin to activate the traction control, and I'm sure it wouldn't have been audible had the cop not been in the next lane (left turn lane) and a couple cars back, with his windows open.

Needless to say that one went to court, and the cop continued his idiocy there. It was rescheduled twice, then he didn't show up, then I got a notice he filed to appeal it and I had to go to an actual bench trial/formal hearing for it. Again rescheduled twice, didn't show up, city lawyer tried to get me to accept a plea deal of a slightly lesser offense but still two points, which I didn't, claiming he could "just rewrite it" as anything he wanted, even reckless driving, and that he would MAKE SURE he did just that. The judge dismissed it with prejudice (meaning case closed, cop S.O.L.). I later filed a complaint with the state bar association and the court over what the city lawyer said and tried to do. It's actually on his record with the state bar.

Jonas McFeely
03-07-06, 03:52 PM
Hell yeah.

thu
03-07-06, 04:15 PM
In most cities/towns, isn't the ultimate authority of the Police the Mayor or City Council?