: GTO is back! again....

Night Wolf
03-02-06, 10:19 PM
Well, it turns out it ISN'T going to die... in fact it is going to be on the Zeta platform with the '08/'09 Camaro....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/02/its-official-pontiac-gto-will-return/

Kev
03-02-06, 11:08 PM
Now they're talkin. That looks pretty sexy!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/feb7gto.jpg

andrew99eldorado
03-02-06, 11:14 PM
Nice......Hey Nightwolf, this is off topic but are you on the grand am forum too?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-02-06, 11:15 PM
That looks downright scary, anyways, I hope the next looks a lot less like a Cavalier, and a lot more substantial.

DaveDeVille
03-02-06, 11:18 PM
That's pretty hot. I'll take one! (when I win the lotto, of course)

Night Wolf
03-02-06, 11:39 PM
Nice......Hey Nightwolf, this is off topic but are you on the grand am forum too?

GAOC? been there for ~5 years... really can't miss me :)

You aren't the guy with the Eldo ESC that was at Albany... are ya?

andrew99eldorado
03-02-06, 11:42 PM
No, I just signed up the other day on there and saw your avatar. No i am from the detroit area. I have a picture of eldo in the picture thread near the end.

andrew99eldorado
03-02-06, 11:43 PM
Sorry for the repost, having some computer problems here

Night Wolf
03-02-06, 11:51 PM
Ah ok.... cool :)

that makes you the 4th (IIRC) member there that has a Caddy :).

pimpin88
03-03-06, 08:48 AM
so is the buick statesman going to be like a modern day roadmaster, because that would be sweeeet!!

FSU_Noles
03-03-06, 10:15 AM
I want a new JUDGE! or 442.

Guy,mn.usa
03-03-06, 10:22 AM
Love my GTO!!! Hope the new one looks Bad a** and make my old one worth more. My old one is a numbers matching 4spd...frame off...very original...appraised at 43,000.00 last fall.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-06, 10:32 AM
so is the buick statesman going to be like a modern day roadmaster, because that would be sweeeet!!

Statesman? What?

Kev
03-03-06, 11:36 AM
Love my GTO!!! Hope the new one looks Bad a** and make my old one worth more. My old one is a numbers matching 4spd...frame off...very original...appraised at 43,000.00 last fall.Good looking Goat. :thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
03-03-06, 12:30 PM
Yeah I remember hearing that the GTO and the Camaro were going to share the same platform. I'm glad though, GM is gonna hit it twice as big now.

HotRodSaint
03-03-06, 01:49 PM
Statesman? What?

"Lutz also said the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform will be used for a new Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buick model called the "Statesman." Lutz said a new El Camino could come by 'putting a Chevrolet face' on a Holden Ute, but that's unlikely at this time."

If GM builds all of these and the GTO, it can't lose!!

Katshot
03-03-06, 01:55 PM
Can't lose huh? :bigroll:

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 02:58 PM
Pontiac designers must be a bunch of 6th grade smack addicts.That GTO is disgusting.Worst design ever.It looks like something that came out of my bowells earlier.If anything that looks remotely like that goes into production im going to shoot up an orphanage.They brought back the lines,the damn Testarossa style lines!I thought that horrible design was over and done with.GM wonders why they dont make profit?They design ugly cars in an attempt to be hip and up-to-date.Worst design ever,and may God have mercy on their souls.

gothicaleigh
03-03-06, 03:02 PM
It does look like they went from one extreme to another...

The current one is overly bland and this design looks like... well, a caricature of what a GTO should be. It's a cartoon and I'm seeing a lot of pieces that are going to look like hell in real life. I thought Pontiac had learned it's lesson and done away with all the moldings and tacky design... guess I was wrong.

Just kill the division already. The only redeeming value I see in it is the Solstice and soon every company GM has will have a version of it.

Kev
03-03-06, 03:02 PM
Pontiac designers must be a bunch of 6th grade smack addicts.That GTO is disgusting.Worst design ever.It looks like something that came out of my bowells earlier.If anything that looks remotely like that goes into production im going to shoot up an orphanage.They brought back the lines,the damn Testarossa style lines!I thought that horrible design was over and done with.GM wonders why they dont make profit?They design ugly cars in an attempt to be hip and up-to-date.Worst design ever,and may God have mercy on their souls.You are welcome to share your negative feelings on the subject but you need to tone them down to descriptions that do not involve murder or other illegal and violent acts.

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 03:08 PM
Sorry.I'll keep it PG.

gothicaleigh
03-03-06, 03:30 PM
I'm not done yet. This thing deserves another rant.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/feb7gto.jpg

See the straking around the front wheel? What is it doing there? It is broken by that huge wheelwell and if placed on the production car, will be made from plastic body moldings. Mark my words, this will look cheap in person.

...and the hoodscoops. What is Pontiac's obsession with hoodscoops? This car has two monstrous grills, why the need for scoops? One more way to break up a clean design. They even put them on the Aztek for god's sake:
http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/2005-Pontiac-Aztek-04129291990003.JPG
Sadly, the first thing I thought of when seeing those new scoops were the Aztek scoops.

The beak. Sure, it follows the emblem design, but it's so pronounced that the car looks like an angry parrot. Gah.

...and what is the wart on the hood in front of the driver? o.O

What is really disappointing is that they could have had a beautiful car. In fact, I can see it if I squint hard enough. The Aston Martin-ish rear haunches... the low roofline... the evil grill...
Take the Pontiac (that's going to be my new derogatory word for all things tacked on and ugly) off the car and it would be amazing.

Katshot
03-03-06, 03:37 PM
Damn thing's nasty looking IMO. Anybody see a Mitsubishi in it?

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 03:37 PM
Holy crap its an Aztek coupe!

FSU_Noles
03-03-06, 03:40 PM
...and what is the wart on the hood in front of the driver?

My guess is that the "wart" is the tachometer, like the old Pontiacs had.

gothicaleigh
03-03-06, 03:44 PM
My guess is that the "wart" is the tachometer, like the old Pontiacs had.

Probably a good thing that everyone else places the tach in the cluster where it belongs then. :p

Mbai2
03-03-06, 03:53 PM
That image is an old GTO concept which was released before the current GTO was put on the market. Images of the upcoming GTO haven't been leaked..err released yet.

Kev
03-03-06, 03:55 PM
The idea of the hood scoops is for cold air intake though it is highly likely that those are merely for looks in which case they would be as lame as the strakes you've mentioned (which, I'm sure are intended to eliminate turbulence of air flow along the side of the car! :histeric: ).

FSU_Noles
03-03-06, 03:56 PM
Probably a good thing that everyone else places the tach in the cluster where it belongs then. :p

As seen in this photo... the wart is visible - as are the scoops.

http://next2.web-cars.com/gto_nu_images/1968PontiacGTOs_a.jpg

edited when I found a better pic...

silver12r
03-03-06, 07:37 PM
That image is an old GTO concept which was released before the current GTO was put on the market. Images of the upcoming GTO haven't been leaked..err released yet.

Man seriously, you guys are all freaked out over an 8-year-old concept.. gee whiz.

Why don't you guys get upset about the fact that a 70-year-old ****** is VP of GM? Every car Lutz touches turns gay. The current GTO is just one more humiliating example that Lutz is an effeminate old lady who is out of touch with everybody but himself. I'm pretty sure the next GTO will be equally uninspiring as long as that never-was has-been is in charge. Maybe they'll just cut to the chase and make pink and mauve the official colors of Pontiac and rename it the "Ass-citement Division"?

Anybody notice that Chrysler got good when he got gone? Coincidence?

I'm sick to death of Lutz and his abortions. As a life long GM guy, I absolutely refuse to buy another GM product until Lutz is gone.

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 09:00 PM
For real,GM needs to do something quick,theyre going down hill fast in my opinion.Not to say that everyone else has it figured out,but they can do way better than they currently are.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-03-06, 09:22 PM
The Statesman is a Holden model. The Commodore and Statesman are Holden's big (I guess) rear drive cars. I guess the next generation will be based on Zeta and Buick is getting a version. Do I have a problem with this? Abso-effing-lutely not! I hope GM wakes up and spawns a proper Fleetwood from it too. Do I have a problem with calling it Statesman? YES! If they call it anything other than Roadmaster, GM is dead to me.

Guy,mn.usa
03-06-06, 02:56 PM
The orange concept gto was a person's drawing of what he summited for a contest on the ultimate gto site that has been posted here. I don't like it either....But I'd buy one of these....

Guy,mn.usa
03-06-06, 02:58 PM
Also check out GM/Holden's concept car in April's issue of Hot Rod....very nice!

Katshot
03-06-06, 03:23 PM
The orange concept gto was a person's drawing of what he summited for a contest on the ultimate gto site that has been posted here. I don't like it either....But I'd buy one of these....

Those look like a cross between a Charger and a Mustang to me.

Night Wolf
03-06-06, 04:44 PM
That looks pretty good.

The Holden Hot Rod is a SWEET car!.

Katshot
03-06-06, 04:50 PM
Also check out GM/Holden's concept car in April's issue of Hot Rod....very nice!

Yeah, the Efijy. VERY nice!
Of course so is the '70 'Cuda on the cover. :thumbsup:

davesdeville
03-07-06, 03:34 AM
Ok, I thought that was always the plan for the GTO. The only new thing would be that there will be a gap from 07-08.