: Im running with no suppliment....

STS 310
03-02-06, 11:17 PM
The last time I added the supplement, it was a nightmare.

I crushed 4 tabs and add to upper hose.
bad idea. Clogged T-Stat, and made a mess.

thing is I know the STAR needs this to avoid stuff like Ive already been through (corroded whelch plug).

Should I add tabs to lower hose, and not crush them?

Ranger
03-02-06, 11:37 PM
The tabs would not have prevented the corroded welch plug. If you are going to put them in, pop them in whole. The only reason for crushing them is when they are put in the 4.9 radiator, the oil cooler is in the side tank and there is not enough room to get 3 or more tabs in there without cruching them. No such problem in the radiator hose.

zonie77
03-03-06, 01:13 AM
Ranger is correct. The supplement is for nuisance leaks. Not corrosion.

STS 310
03-03-06, 03:33 AM
Not for corrosion?

I know that it is meant to help with possible "irregularites in casting" but I thought the supplement was supposed to hinder corrosion as well..

STS 310
03-03-06, 03:35 AM
Kind of confused due to earlier history posts...

STS 310
03-03-06, 03:37 AM
The tabs would not have prevented the corroded welch plug. If you are going to put them in, pop them in whole. The only reason for crushing them is when they are put in the 4.9 radiator, the oil cooler is in the side tank and there is not enough room to get 3 or more tabs in there without cruching them. No such problem in the radiator hose.

I saw the tanks, t stat and flush after crushing and adding to the top hose.
WHAT A MESS, along with all of the other "stop leak" products I added when the plug had a small leak.

Ranger
03-03-06, 04:09 AM
The plug leak wa due to corrosion. Whether external or internal is debatable. Ther is little you can do if it was external. Internal would be from lack of cooling system maintanence (depletion of corrsion inhibitors).