: High & Low beams @ the same time with HID???

Rolex
03-02-06, 07:04 PM
Ok, so I found a great website when I was searching for the Escalade's PCV valve location online...see below:

http://gm-trucks.com/home/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ (http://gm-trucks.com/home/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/)

This site appears to have some interesting "how to" and tech articles. One of these articles has to do with modifying the headlights on 2003 (and newer) GM vehicles to run both low and high beams @ the same time when the highs are switched on.....see below:

http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/231/25/ (http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/231/25/)

Now according to this article, this is a stupid easy modification. Wiring my air horns was 100 times more difficult than this. So I'm curious if adding this diode to the Escalade would have any detrimental effect on the HIDs. Is there any good reason(s) not to do this modification? And finally have any of you done, or had this modification done to your Lade or GM vehicle? If so, are you pleased with the results?

A search turned up some commercially available kits for purchase that could accomplish the same thing. This seems simple and inexpensive, which is right up my alley as a do-it-yourself'er. I guess I'm in the modifying mood after being under the hood today. :D

Rolex

Nasty Black Lac
03-02-06, 09:04 PM
Nice. I am going to do this for sure. On my mustang, all you had to do is clip an "ear" off of a relay for the highs and lows to run simutaneously. Great near freeby mod!

hcvone
03-03-06, 08:22 AM
The 03' and newer Escalade's have the feature of all four headlight on when the high beams are used, GM did it for you. I just took my HID high beam lighting out to install in my 07's high beams, there was nothing brighter than HID stock low beams with my HID high beams, all four lights on together was instant day time. :)

toneman
03-03-06, 01:14 PM
The 03' and newer Escalade's have the feature of all four headlight on when the high beams are used, GM did it for you...
Assuming you're saying that this feature is standard straight from the factory...now why would GM offer this "feature" on '03+ Eskys, but not on their other pre-'07 NBS full-sized SUVs (Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon)? Is it because the Esky's high beams suck that much that they need the lows on at the same time in order to supplement the high-beam output? ;)

And no, it definitely isn't available on those vehicles--otherwise there wouldn't be a whole bunch of threads asking about how to do the 4-light mod. Also, I own an '04 DXL...and I can tell you that all four lights do not come on at the same time when I turn on my highs. I know that on some vehicles if you flash to pass, both lows and highs are lit until you release the flash lever...but I don't know of any vehicle (other than what you claimed) where if you turn on the high beam switch, both lows and highs remain lit. Granted I don't have detailed knowledge of every single make and model, but in every vehicle I've owned and/or driven in, I've yet to see a non-modified setup in which both lows and highs can light up at the same time when you turn on the highs (again, other than flash-to-pass).

hcvone
03-06-06, 08:14 AM
Assuming you're saying that this feature is standard straight from the factory...now why would GM offer this "feature" on '03+ Eskys, but not on their other pre-'07 NBS full-sized SUVs (Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon)? Is it because the Esky's high beams suck that much that they need the lows on at the same time in order to supplement the high-beam output? ;)

And no, it definitely isn't available on those vehicles--otherwise there wouldn't be a whole bunch of threads asking about how to do the 4-light mod. Also, I own an '04 DXL...and I can tell you that all four lights do not come on at the same time when I turn on my highs. I know that on some vehicles if you flash to pass, both lows and highs are lit until you release the flash lever...but I don't know of any vehicle (other than what you claimed) where if you turn on the high beam switch, both lows and highs remain lit. Granted I don't have detailed knowledge of every single make and model, but in every vehicle I've owned and/or driven in, I've yet to see a non-modified setup in which both lows and highs can light up at the same time when you turn on the highs (again, other than flash-to-pass).

No the low beam HID's are very good on the Escalade. ;)

hcvone
03-06-06, 11:43 AM

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/67460-question.html

All 03' and new Escalade's use all 4 headlight when the high beams are on. I guess my M5 and Jag's lights suck too, because all 4 lights are used when the high beams are on. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

toneman
03-06-06, 07:08 PM
Gee, all I was wondering was why many other models don't have this same feature; I guess based on your condescending reply (the second part of your statement), it must be because they're not Eskys, Jags, or BMWs. ;)

Okay maybe I shouldn't have said that vehicles that have all four lights on when the highs are on must have sucky lighting systems...but the point I was trying to make regarding that feature still holds--namely, that many models with separate low and high beam bulbs apparently can make due with not needing all four lights on at the same time when the highs are switched on...so why is it that the Esky (and your M5 and Jag) apparently can't make do also? Telling me that your M5 and Jag also happen to have the four-hi feature does nothing to answer the question...you might has well just said that the Esky does it (4-lights) because it can. ;)

toneman
03-06-06, 08:27 PM
No the low beam HID's are very good on the Escalade. ;)

So good that they need to stay on when the Escalade high beams are turned on? Or are they that good because the Esky high beams are very bad by themselves? ;)

And please don't label me an Esky-hater looking to stir up some trouble in this forum...I have one too.

Rolex
03-06-06, 09:35 PM
He's an Escalade hater!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/normal_BanHim.jpg

In the words of Triumph the pooping dog....I kid, I kid. :p

hcvone
03-07-06, 08:35 AM
So good that they need to stay on when the Escalade high beams are turned on? Or are they that good because the Esky high beams are very bad by themselves? ;)

And please don't label me an Esky-hater looking to stir up some trouble in this forum...I have one too.

No problem. I did the 4 light thing to all my Suburban's in the 90's with a HD wiring harness, I do a lot of night driving and the two bulb GM lights just did not cut it at night. The 4 light thing with the newer Escalade's are just a bonus.

toneman
03-09-06, 03:30 PM
No problem. I did the 4 light thing to all my Suburban's in the 90's with a HD wiring harness, I do a lot of night driving and the two bulb GM lights just did not cut it at night....
I won't disagree with you on that point!!! Wonder what was GM's thinking in designing 4-light for the '03+ Eskys but not their other fullsize SUVs?

hcvone
03-10-06, 07:18 AM
When I told my Chevy dealer about it, he told me that the Caddy boys get all the goodies, and they get what's left, he was bitter saying GM wants to put Caddy way about the rest of the GM line. First time in 20 years of knowing him he ever said anything like that.