: Japanese automakers sweep U.S. rivals

Lord Cadillac
03-02-06, 12:36 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11621992/

Japanese automakers achieved another milestone in the ongoing humiliation of their U.S. counterparts Wednesday as they captured the top positions in all ten vehicle categories rated by influential Consumer Reports magazine.

The part that stood out most to me was in regards to the hype about "bias" amongst magazines...

James Guest, president of Consumers Union, the publisher of Consumer Reports, dismissed claims that the magazine is biased against American-made cars, pointing to a 2005 American Demographics study, conducted by Advertising Age, that found Consumer Reports to be the most trustworthy media outlet for consumer information.

An 8 year old Toyota had about the same number of problems as a 2 to 3 year old vehicle from GM or Ford, according to the survey of the magazine's readers.

Unless domestic auto makers make some reliable vehicles that are also exciting, there's no reason for consumers to switch from their already reliable, boring foreign vehicles...

Sandy
03-02-06, 12:43 PM
....And now, these self appointed experts can return to testing toasters and waffle irons.
:grouphug: :grouphug: = CR Panelists :brutal: = "Car People"

FSU_Noles
03-02-06, 12:51 PM
I can't recall whether it is Consumer Reports or Consumer Digest that accepts advertising money. Whichever does it far less credible.

Notice in the last 10 were some high-end brands - because people who pay $$$ for a car take it in for every little thing - therefore a higher incident rate and lower "reliability" rating.

Anyhow.... screw the press, let the masses keep their boring cars.

Sandy
03-02-06, 03:34 PM
1) The majority of people who spend major money on a car, are leasing it.
They are leasing it for 1 of 2 reasons:-
A) They don't have the $$ to pay cash, & don't have the best credit
B) They own a business that does very well, and the business is paying for it to lower their income for tax purposes. {Example}: My dentist goes to a hospital once a month, on a Sunday, to care for patient's teeth{Cleanings,etc) ~ he uses his car to get there, and he does not charge the patients, it's all free, "Donation of services" - For doing this 12 times a year, he gets to deduct 100% of car leasing payments on his Acura R/L, BECAUSE he uses his car FOR business !!

That constitutes 90% of all leasees. Now, people who eaither pay cash or finance their car are the people who tend to take the best care of it. It belongs to them, they have their money invested in it.

2) The absolute worst condition cars are the leased ones. The mental thought process is "It ain't mine, what do I care?" We frequently got back cars with 45,000 miles on them wearing their factory installed oil filter, dripping jet black oil as thick as ketchup !!! I kid ya not. Tires: 33 pounds in 1 front & 1 back, 23 pounds in the other back and 37 pounds in the other front. Air filters clogged with decontaminated leaves and mold & mildew on the carpets. Mind you these were 30 month old cars. Bubble gum stuck to rear seat carpeting, stains on nearly everything, spillage in the trunk, 5 to8 door dings, broken off under front bumper air management panels and other stuff I can't ever recall.

I would seldom purchase a car previously leased, UNLESS I could eyeball it the moment it was turned into the dealership.

An older person's car that they owned is generally the best, as they tend to take very good care of them, or a young guy's car that he is facing having repossed due to losing his job is also a good car, but if hi po, figure it's probably got bald rear tires, and has not been "babied".

gdwriter
03-02-06, 04:16 PM
I sometimes read Consumer Reports' auto reviews, and I don't think I've read a positive review of a GM car in more than 20 years. They're almost always highly negative and often nitpick stupid things like horn buttons instead of a horn pad.

I've read or seen interviews where CU's car testers claim to be car enthusiasts, but you wouldn't know it from reading the reviews. I sometimes wonder if Joan Claybrook or Ralph Nadar are secretly writing them.

Jonas McFeely
03-02-06, 05:12 PM
Hornpads are way easier to find and push when your on your cell phone and drinking coffee and reading a book and doing your makeup.Come on now.

gdwriter
03-02-06, 05:49 PM
Hornpads are way easier to find and push when your on your cell phone and drinking coffee and reading a book and doing your makeup.Come on now.

You forgot about spreading lox on a bagel. :histeric:

Night Wolf
03-02-06, 05:56 PM
Didn't Toyota buy GM already?

I thought they were out to conqer the world by now :bigroll:

Zorb750
03-03-06, 12:26 PM
Consumer reports does not deserve to rate cars. Yes their safety reports are valuable, but their idiotic "this should be made standard on all cars" and similar lines are sickening. And I have to drive like a real idiot to get 17 mpg on my Eldorado. They insisted a Seville SLS 1996 got 16 mpg in their testing. What were they doing to that car?!?!

Oh and a C6 Corvette goes from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, the Honda odyssey gets 10 miles per gallon, the mid 90s Honda Civic has good interior quality, and the ride of the Deville DTS is unsettled.

I've written them letters too about this BS reporting. The Japanese cars are ALWAYS their favorites, even when there are much better cars. Who'se build better? Accord or Passat (the one based on the B5 platform audi)? The Volkswagen is way better than the Honda, but it's noted that the VW is cheap and the Honda isn't. Oh wait... They tested the top of the line accord and the bargain basement model VW which cost $7000 less! Of comparing the Jeep Grand Cherokee with inline 6 cylinder with all the other sport utilities with V8s and calling it underpowered.

All in the world of CR, my friends. Automotive journalism good only for laughs.

Lord Cadillac
03-03-06, 01:35 PM
Who'se build better? Accord or Passat (the one based on the B5 platform audi)? The Volkswagen is way better than the Honda, but it's noted that the VW is cheap and the Honda isn't. Oh wait... They tested the top of the line accord and the bargain basement model VW which cost $7000 less!

This would definitely be a good article to get a link to.. Would you mind posting it?

noahsdad
03-03-06, 01:35 PM
Consumer Reports is so obviously biased against American manufacturers it's not even worth reading. We shouldn't expect any different though, because they are not car enthusiasts. The staff is largely made up of graduates from ultra liberal east and west coast universities, mostly journalism degrees with minors in statistics. They've spent most of their adult life being indoctrinated by tweed-coated ex-hippies posing as professors spouting anti-American, anti-capitalist left wing blather and driving Volvos and Subarus.

Any time you are going to test say, a toaster, you must establish a general criteria for what should be expected of that item. My wife loves her toast burned black and I like mine barely singed, so how can CR possibly recommend the right one, if the built in biases of the writer are different from either of ours?

Don't believe that baloney about not accepting advertising. Originally, C.R. used to buy every product they tested. Not anymore. The manufacturers provide products for testing and C.R returns them when they're done, just like Motor Trend. Guess how you get the cool, hip new imports sent to you - write a glowing review of the latest cookie cutter import crap they spoon feed the rest of the sheep in America.

Katshot
03-03-06, 02:54 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to take ANY single source as gospel. You should read as many as you can and decide who raised points that are important to you. Besides that, you should go look and drive the vehicle yourself and try to decide whether the vehicle meets your needs and can make you happy. If I based my decisions on things on one opinion, I'd miss out on a lot of good things, and I'm not just talking about cars.

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 04:06 PM
Its bolagna.Blame it on the left wingers,no,blame it on the right wingers.No wait,its Japans fault,no,its Canadas fault.Grow up.

noahsdad
03-03-06, 04:23 PM
Its bolagna.Blame it on the left wingers,no,blame it on the right wingers.No wait,its Japans fault,no,its Canadas fault.Grow up.

Careful junior, better respect your elders. You shouldn't give maturity advice until you have some, or at least until you can legally buy a drink in a bar.

BTW, it's spelled B-O-L-O-G-N-A

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 04:33 PM
Got me.I look dumb now.I try to respect my elders.I'll keep it in mind.When i can buy beer i'll give you a holler.Because thats what qualifies me for a mature discussion,whether or not i can buy alcohol.Sorry,im trying not to be too sarcastic.

FSU_Noles
03-03-06, 04:37 PM

Are you in the right thread?? :confused:

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 04:41 PM
Probably not.

noahsdad
03-03-06, 04:44 PM
It's not about alchohol, it's about experience. Don't ever apologize for having an opinon, just be judicious in your choice of expression. Telling people to 'grow up' indicates you have maturity and knowledge beyond theirs. For those of us who have kids your age, that's a grave insult.

If you want to share your thoughts about the thread, by all means do; but flaming others ideas will always generate an in-kind reply.

boricuacaddy
03-03-06, 04:48 PM
Where's Godzilla when you need him!!!

David

Jonas McFeely
03-03-06, 04:55 PM
It's not about alchohol, it's about experience. Don't ever apologize for having an opinon, just be judicious in your choice of expression. Telling people to 'grow up' indicates you have maturity and knowledge beyond theirs. For those of us who have kids your age, that's a grave insult.

If you want to share your thoughts about the thread, by all means do; but flaming others ideas will always generate an in-kind reply.

I respect that,and i agree.I probably shouldnt have said "grow up",that is a bit insulting.I just get carried away when i see things that i think are stupid and i really disagree with.I appoligize for that,i'll try to think before i post.Not sarcasm at all.