03-01-06, 11:57 PM
mounted in V. In another forum.

F

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 12:03 AM
Dare I ask for a link?

Florian
03-02-06, 12:06 AM
dont know if the mods will execute me but here goes....
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=461695

Enjoy.

F

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 04:01 AM
"Homegrown" best describes it. I'd wait for a real solution versus this one.

Parker
03-02-06, 07:56 AM
WTF...This is the real solution.

urbanski
03-02-06, 08:06 AM
dont know if the mods will execute me but here goes....
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=461695

Enjoy.

F
you're allowed to link to that forum.

madman69
03-02-06, 08:24 AM

Man I was told you guys were a tough crowd.:) I work with Vette owners, and the 94-96 Impala guys who I thought were the toughest and most demanding. I see the CTS-V guys will be taking over the crown.
Yes it is "homegrown" as you put it but that is the American way. This part of the reason this country is going to shit. Everyone wants it cheaper and pretty. Not functional and strong. We all see where this has gotten the CTS-V with the rear that is in the car now.

Geno
03-02-06, 08:35 AM
To hell with the naysayers.....bring it ON!:lildevil:

CTSV05
03-02-06, 09:51 AM
I missed the "homegrown " comment....what does he mean...?

Homegrown Ideas Built this Country!!!!!!

shivak
03-02-06, 10:26 AM
Yes it is "homegrown" as you put it but that is the American way. This part of the reason this country is going to shit. Everyone wants it cheaper and pretty. Not functional and strong.

Why would you say that? The new rear seems overengineered and costly to me. What percentage of V owners are going to take their car past 500whp?

urbanski
03-02-06, 10:51 AM
Why would you say that? The new rear seems overengineered and costly to me. What percentage of V owners are going to take their car past 500whp?
i see with 3 posts you haven't been reading here much.
of V owners here, i suspect most want over 500HP.

Parker
03-02-06, 12:00 PM
Then just keep complainin' about breaking the POS stock diffs. To those that take the plunge will have one less thing to worry about grenading while just driving around or racing. Its a rear end...it goes under the car...turns both the wheels. Hey Madman you should have a platinum dipped carrier with the crest on the rear...but throw that in too will you.

The housing is a work of art and I have yet to see anyone else take any initiative to find a solution to our problem and that excludes diff techs, but enjoy paying the frieght cost and tax to get that piece through customs.

And the homemade guy can just stick a live axle in his shit or keep breaking something he probably hasn't experienced yet. I think most of you were waiting for me to break mine knowing I would do something about it:) :bouncy:

1BDCADY
03-02-06, 12:01 PM

Well comments like that have helped me make my final decision on becoming a sponsor on here. What a bunch of.............

Paul

Brett
03-02-06, 12:08 PM
what kind of cost is involved here? and what type of diff is that? I've been thinking about buying a V for a weekend car, but I dont see the point until there is a viable diff

Florian
03-02-06, 12:15 PM
MM has put a lot of time and effort into this unit. Sure its not pretty, but who cares, its under your car. If it can handle the TQ without the spectre of imminent failure lurking in the back of my mind, thats great. I suspect youll pay 4-6K for something of this nature. As they say, you gotta pay to play. If youre pumping 500+ HP at the tires, youve already spent at least that much, whats a few bux more for peace of mind.

F

urbanski
03-02-06, 12:22 PM
what kind of cost is involved here? and what type of diff is that? I've been thinking about buying a V for a weekend car, but I dont see the point until there is a viable diff
wait until we see how the '06 units are holding up before you condemn the whole car....these aftermarket units are really geared toward the more "extreme" power-addicts here :) of which there are tons :p

keeksv
03-02-06, 12:27 PM
Well comments like that have helped me make my final decision on becoming a sponsor on here. What a bunch of.............

Paul

Paul:

I hope these people aren't trying to include me in their opinions.

I especially like the "over-engineered" comment. As if the current piece of crap diffs (including the '06) are anything to marvel at.

Don't let these few people make your decision for you. Wait to hear from some of the others on this board, especially on this topic. Everyone else just go buy a Honda or something:thepan: (not that there's anything wrong with Hondas).

eric

ssmith100
03-02-06, 12:56 PM
Parker,

He cracks me up:stirpot: You get all that sound deadening installed in your car yet P. Rear end looks great. :worship: Can't wait to take a ride when she's all done. You still have any of those parts we talked about a couple of weeks ago????

Shane

Brett
03-02-06, 02:24 PM
wait until we see how the '06 units are holding up before you condemn the whole car....these aftermarket units are really geared toward the more "extreme" power-addicts here :) of which there are tons :p

"extreme" is what I want, thats why it will be a weekend car :)

Luna.
03-02-06, 02:31 PM
Some people just crack me up...

Who gives a sh*t what the hell the damn thing looks like? IT'S UNDERNEATH THE FRIGGIN CAR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Some people are such friggin babies...

I could care less if the damn thing looks like General Omar Bradley...

Does it work? Good, that's the primary thing I need to know.

Now, of course, if it cost as much as the car itself, or something likewise unreasonable, that would be a problem, but, I don't believe that to be the case here.

stkshkr
03-02-06, 02:57 PM
If it does the job....................... it's beautiful and a work of art

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 03:00 PM
Well, since I started this ruckus I may as well jump back in... Yes, "to me," it looks the typical American solution of shoehorning in a larger (all grunting sounds acceptable) unit versus working with the engineers to determine the effect of the overall package. Yes, the rear differential is failing, and yes there is no doubt that the original engineering team is reviewing at the design failures as a lesson to the parameters they initially set forth. How does Big Bertha (said solution as referenced in this post), affect the overall chassis? Well, it would take a serious collaboration with the GM engineers to know and analyze that question. Americans seem hellbent on bigger is always better. Hey, shove a V10 Viper engine in the engine bay and strap baling wire to the gas peddle for that matter--it will go like a raped-ape, but probably die as quick too.

I probably should have never asked for the link as Pandoras differential box has surely opened. This wouldn't be the first time I've jumped into controversy as I questioned those who made Gold Wing trikes, and then there was factory recall for a cracking frame. The trike aftermarket manufacturers were livid that Honda would not warranty those frames with trike conversions, so they tried to leverage customers to complain. When I asked whether any of these aftermarket manufacturers had worked with Honda engineers to develop their conversions (similar to the relationship Saleen has with Ford: authorized) not one had. Math and science dominates the world of high-performance, but there is no stopping those who wish to take upon themselves that which they wish to do. That said, it still looks homegrown to me.

ctsvett
03-02-06, 03:17 PM
few things:

1. It's not final yet.. I can show you pictures of many prototypes that look "homegrown"...
2. All I care about is that is works and works WAY better than the stock diff... Cause when I eventually have to pay for a diff, it wont be a stocker.. that is for sure.
3. 1Badcady: We cant tell people what to say on this forum... If people want to give their comments, they will... If that affects your decision to be a supporting vendor, I'm sorry... That will happen on any board... Damned if we do, damned if we dont.

I am a X-96 impala owner.. what are you trying to say? :D

Reed

V-Sting
03-02-06, 03:22 PM
Sign me up for the new diff. Madman, curious, will this install be something only your shop will/can do, or do you anticipate V owners being able to get the job done at home or perhaps in a local (competent) shop?

CTSV05
Well....then...it is your perogative to not like it....but....apparently you haven't dealt with this issue much.

I for one won't need this fix.......as I can not afford a blower or any other serious mod. My '06 unit is holding up fine.

But as with my kit.....I am damn glad someone took this on as a project to at least try to offer a solution for those who have been clamoring for one. Have you????

And for your information,
I Love The Fact That Americans Do Things Big....And I am Unanimous In That!

keeksv
And it will still look homegrown to you when you're seeing it from behind (briefly)...

I think this is a great example of someone with eons of engineering and fabrication experience coming up with a solid fix for something completely under-engineered by the manufacuturer. Don't count on GM to learn from this at all, with or without partnerships etc...the only partnership we need is Madman (and Diff Technics too) partnering with the car itself.

I'm outta here---I think I hear E-thug coming:eek:

V-Sting
03-02-06, 03:24 PM
Also, Doug, will you re-engineer the Kars Kradle to fit a new diff solution?

CRZY747
03-02-06, 04:52 PM
Dam leave and come back and this is what we have for someone comming out with a new product for the V. Common guys that is just silly, if anyone is capible of producing a new rear end for this car it is madman. Why speculate what the price will be, it will come soon enough. Nothing we can do about that.

As for Paul, being a sponsor, it would be a honor to have such a great shop to provide products for this car. I live in houston and most of my parts on my other cars ie z06 and SS, came from Thunderracing, they have the best customer service out of any place I have delt with.

No matter what, keep up the good work Madman and Thunderracing.

Jet

madman69
03-02-06, 05:05 PM
Well, since I started this ruckus I may as well jump back in... Yes, "to me," it looks the typical American solution of shoehorning in a larger (all grunting sounds acceptable) unit versus working with the engineers to determine the effect of the overall package. Yes, the rear differential is failing, and yes there is no doubt that the original engineering team is reviewing at the design failures as a lesson to the parameters they initially set forth. How does Big Bertha (said solution as referenced in this post), affect the overall chassis? Well, it would take a serious collaboration with the GM engineers to know and analyze that question. Americans seem hellbent on bigger is always better. Hey, shove a V10 Viper engine in the engine bay and strap bailing wire to the gas peddle for that matter--it will go like a raped-ape, but probably die as quick too.

I probably should have never asked for the link as Pandoras differential box has surely opened. This wouldn't be the first time I've jumped into controversy as I questioned those who made Gold Wing trikes, and then there was factory recall for a cracking frame. The trike aftermarket manufacturers were livid that Honda would not warranty those frames with trike conversions, so they tried to leverage customers to complain. When I asked whether any of these aftermarket manufacturers had worked with Honda engineers to develop their conversions (similar to the relationship Saleen has with Ford: authorized) not one had. Math and science dominates the world of high-performance, but there is no stopping those who wish to take upon themselves that which they wish to do. That said, it still looks homegrown to me.

I see some of your points about the frame. I have addressed this with a subframe kit for these cars. Also your factory warranty is pretty much junk as soon as you install any type or performance enhancers so my rear diff isnt a problem of warranty.

On your engineering stand point I have 0 use for most of the engineers out there. They have no REAL world experience and shouldnt even be allowed to design anything. Math and theories are a joke in the real world. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone is but I'm entitled to say that you have nothing good to say so you speak out of your ass.

CIWS
03-02-06, 05:07 PM
Build it and they will come....

I doubt GM will address this until, possibly, they design a newer V and in that case we current design owners are probably SOL. I would like an option out there that could provide me a rear end incase I want to keep the car past warranty or for some reason (Mods) get one denied and have to pay for it myself. If I do, I only want to have to do it once. Plus if I decide to get crazy and go 450+ RWHP I have something to handle it. As far as how it looks, well maybe someone will get to see it as a do a Dukes of Hazzard / General Lee over their collective heads ;)

Got5onit
03-02-06, 05:15 PM
Me Likes!!!

Dare I ask how much?? :eek:

urbanski
03-02-06, 06:01 PM
:hide:

CTSV05
03-02-06, 06:31 PM
V........

I don't think the new rear will need a diff support and the rest of the kit should still fit just fine....

V-Sting
03-02-06, 06:41 PM
Madman, will this install be something only your shop will/can do, or do you anticipate V owners being able to get the job done at home or perhaps in a local (competent) shop?

Oh, and thanks Doug.

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 06:49 PM
I see some of your points about the frame. I have addressed this with a subframe kit for these cars. Also your factory warranty is pretty much junk as soon as you install any type or performance enhancers so my rear diff isnt a problem of warranty.

On your engineering stand point I have 0 use for most of the engineers out there. They have no REAL world experience and shouldnt even be allowed to design anything. Math and theories are a joke in the real world. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone is but I'm entitled to say that you have nothing good to say so you speak out of your ass.

Some of the best collaborations are those utilizing you and your "real-world" experience in conjunction with an Engineer who knows his or her stuff--I'm not joking.

And yes, I do give you credit for doing what you're doing. The GM warranty? Given GM's current situation, and the cost of fixing the differential properly, you might be right. GM needs to file bankruptcy and then issues such as the CTS-V's differential might be resolved. What if this is the last of the CTS-Vs? Who knows, GM can change its mind at any time, due to prevailing business decisions? The CTS appears better suited for the 3.6L engine than any other.

As far as my ass...I've found enunciation an issue, so I prefer speaking from my mouth--I am joking.

Geno
03-02-06, 06:53 PM
Yes, "to me," it looks the typical American solution of shoehorning in a larger (all grunting sounds acceptable) unit versus working with the engineers to determine the effect of the overall package. Yes, the rear differential is failing, and yes there is no doubt that the original engineering team is reviewing at the design failures as a lesson to the parameters they initially set forth. How does Big Bertha (said solution as referenced in this post), affect the overall chassis? Well, it would take a serious collaboration with the GM engineers to know and analyze that question. Americans seem hellbent on bigger is always better.

Man, you must be from another planet. What do you think, anything that has an engineer behind it would be God's gift to man....wasn't the shuttle designed by engineers.

Engineers are forced to work within the constraints of real world realities. Yes, they could build a bulletproof diff, but it isn't going to happen because of project fiduciary limitations. The bottom line for large corporations is how much money can I make on each unit and not how can I perfect each part. There are multiple factors that weigh in how any component turns out. In the case of the "V" diff GM sent out a set of specifications to a vendor (Getrag). Getrag probably told GM that the diff in the regular CTS would hold up and GM took them at their word. Do you think GM would spend the extra money and resources verifying Getrag claims, why should they Getrag has it's own QA, right? Getrag would save cost and maximize it's returns to it shareholders by using an existing design.

You are far too confident of the ability of an engineering team to solve all issues. One way or the other, there are limitations. There are no perfect solutions, I know, I am an engineer.

In the case of this effort, you can be assured that it will eliminate the weak diff issue. The fabricators are not telling you that the unit is going to be refined or quite. They are telling you the unit will be bullet proof. That's why the unit looks as it does. We (the owners of "V" with more than the mundane 400hp) want a real solution that can handle the power of our motors. What we donít want is some fancy, artsy/fartsy piece of metal with fins, that blows up at the least provocation.

I'll tell you what's great about the traditional Americans, initiative and innovation. It sounds like you have a problem with AMERICA :mad:

DILLIGAF
03-02-06, 06:55 PM
I THINK IT LOOKS AWESOME!Maybe some of these guys should be asking specific questions about the diff,such as how much more does it weigh,what about the drive shaft,the half shafts,all suspension mounting in general.Instead of,it looks homegrown.I believe all of these questions will be answered in time,mad man and diff tech will be competing for our business and we will have the best fix IMO.I can't believe mad man is letting the world look up his skirt,if I was diff tech I'd be scared shitless,looks like the mad mans almost on the road with his fix.Looks Awesome!!!

GT04CTS-V
03-02-06, 07:01 PM
The diff that the V has, can't handle the HP and TQ that the LS6 produces - stock. Madman has designed a diff that can handle the HP and TQ of two LS6's. Now we're going to complain about that too. WTF ????

GT

Florian
03-02-06, 07:05 PM
Dannystang will let you look up his skirt too if you ask nice and buy him a lollipop.

F

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 07:11 PM
Man, you must be from another planet. What do you think, anything that has an engineer behind it would be God's gift to man....wasn't the shuttle designed by engineers.

Engineers are forced to work within the constraints of real world realities. Yes, they could build a bulletproof diff, but it isn't going to happen because of project fiduciary limitations. The bottom line for large corporations is how much money can I make on each unit and not how can I perfect each part. There are multiple factors that weigh in how any component turns out. In the case of the "V" diff GM sent out a set of specifications to a vendor (Getrag). Getrag probably told GM that the diff in the regular CTS would hold up and GM took them at their word. Do you think GM would spend the extra money and resources verifying Getrag claims, why should they Getrag has it's own QA, right? Getrag would save cost and maximize it's returns to it shareholders by using an existing design.

You are far too confident of the ability of an engineering team to solve all issues. One way or the other, there are limitations. There are no perfect solutions, I know, I am an engineer.

In the case of this effort, you can be assured that it will eliminate the weak diff issue. The fabricators are not telling you that the unit is going to be refined or quite. They are telling you the unit will be bullet proof. That's why the unit looks as it does. We (the owners of "V" with more than the mundane 400hp) want a real solution that can handle the power of our motors. What we donít want is some fancy, artsy/fartsy piece of metal with fins, that blows up at the least provocation.

I'll tell you what's great about the traditional Americans, initiative and innovation. It sounds like you have a problem with AMERICA :mad:

The Getrag/GM spec issue was most likely a management call, versus an engineering call (I am speculating as I was not there). Americans, yes I do have a problem, as I am one. We have become second-rate in many areas, while the rest of the world charges ahead. We worship the TV and the TV remote more than hitting the books. And we make too many excuses for not benchmarking successfully in many important areas in the global economy. The main excuses: nationalism, patriotism--versus boning-up and getting to where we need to be. Global economy, yes, period. If you're not onboard, you're left behind. In regards to engineering solutions confidence, whether those who have studied the principles or not deliver a solution, its success or failure is based upon the underlining math and science that this world is founded upon--no way around it.

VELOSE
03-02-06, 07:14 PM
I'm glad I'm not American, well American born but I am American grown. :D

urbanski
03-02-06, 07:16 PM
Dannystang will let you look up his skirt too if you ask nice and buy him a lollipop.

F
i draw the line at lollipops

GT04CTS-V
03-02-06, 07:19 PM
ughhh

Geno
03-02-06, 07:27 PM
The Getrag/GM spec issue was most likely a management call, versus an engineering call (I am speculating as I was not there). Americans, yes I do have a problem, as I am one. We have become second-rate in many areas, while the rest of the world charges ahead. We worship the TV and the TV remote more than hitting the books. And we make too many excuses for not benchmarking successfully in many important areas in the global economy. The main excuses: nationalism, patriotism--versus boning-up and getting to where we need to be. Global economy, yes, period. If you're not onboard, you're left behind. In regards to engineering solutions confidence, whether those who have studied the principles or not deliver a solution, its success or failure is based upon the underlining math and science that this world is founded upon--no way around it.

Oh geez. I didn't want to get in a political tiff....but.

It ain't "nationalism, patriotism" that's the problem, it's liberalism. That's why we are second rate in so many areas. Students graduate now not because of their acedemic abilities, but because of the impact of hurting their self-esteem.

We are second rate because we insist on teaching our children cultural history, basket weaving, etc, rather than the math and sciences.

And look you were the one bringing up the point about how engineering could take care of the diff solution. I'm the one telling you that probably wasn't an option (management rules).

You obviously haven't talked to any conservative recently. WE ARE FOR MORE DEMANDING STANDARDS.

DILLIGAF
03-02-06, 07:31 PM
The Getrag/GM spec issue was most likely a management call, versus an engineering call (I am speculating as I was not there). Americans, yes I do have a problem, as I am one. We have become second-rate in many areas, while the rest of the world charges ahead. We worship the TV and the TV remote more than hitting the books. And we make too many excuses for not benchmarking successfully in many important areas in the global economy. The main excuses: nationalism, patriotism--versus boning-up and getting to where we need to be. Global economy, yes, period. If you're not onboard, you're left behind. In regards to engineering solutions confidence, whether those who have studied the principles or not deliver a solution, its success or failure is based upon the underlining math and science that this world is founded upon--no way around it.IMO-the reason we suck(americans)not enough mad mans.We're assemblers not makers.People that create should be praised not flamed.Geezzzzzzz

SoCadillac
03-02-06, 07:39 PM

It ain't "nationalism, patriotism" that's the problem, it's liberalism. That's why we are second rate in so many areas. Students graduate now not because of their acedemic abilities, but because of the impact of hurting their self-esteem.

We are second rate because we insist on teaching our children cultural history, basket weaving, etc, rather than the math and sciences.

And look you were the one bringing up the point about how engineering could take care of the diff solution. I'm the one telling you that probably wasn't an option (management rules).

You obviously haven't talked to any conservative recently. WE ARE FOR MORE DEMANDING STANDARDS.
So now you're saying that Liberals designed the original CTS-V's differential? ;)
Liberals, Conservatives are both a bunch of happy-horsesh!t to me. I just want Americans to stop making excuses for America.

ewill3rd
03-02-06, 07:46 PM
While I agree that it looks impressive and I am sure it's probably stronger and more durable than the stock unit I can't help but ask myself a few questions.

1. It looks to be rigidly attached to the frame. This would seem to present some problems with noise and vibrations, other concerns I seem to hear people complain about frequently with an unmodified car. The stock unit is cradled in 3 rubber mounts to handle excess torque and cancel vibration.
Perhaps there is something I can't see.
2. I know that the photos I saw were not finished images, but um.... with that big plate on the bottom... what about the exhaust? I mean there is a steel plate covering the two paths for the exhaust pipes. That means either the pipes are going to have to go underneath the unit which will put them about 3 inches closer to the ground, and now no pre-fab exhaust kit will fit in the car. Does the price of the unit include a new exhaust system? Or are we talking about side pipes here? (which are illegal in a lot of states)
3. Has anyone done any research to the torque rating of the rear axles? I mean if you are cranking all that power through the diff from a modified motor who's to say that the weak point is not now going to be the driveshaft that twists off or the axles that start snapping off or are new axles part of the "upgrade" and included in the price?

Just to play the devil's advocate, an engineer would take those things into account. (not that I am one)

Unrelated to any of that, just for my own curiosity, what is the weight difference between the stock unit and the um.... what is this thing called?... the "fabricated" unit?

I think it looks like some nice work guys, maybe someone could address these issues that I brought up?

Geno
03-02-06, 07:47 PM
So now you're saying that Liberals designed the original CTS-V's differential? ;)

Why..... do I waste my time???:helpless: :nono:

trukk
03-02-06, 07:50 PM
I'm glad I'm not American, well American born but I am American grown. :D

:hmm: HUH? Who's on first?

Let's be honest, in these day's of globalization, damn near everyone is an American :D

We RULE :musical:

<YOU MAY NOW INSERT YOUR ARROGANT AMERICAN COMMENTS>

-Chris

urbanski
03-02-06, 07:56 PM
hey ewill...i think his unit includes the diff, half shafts, and driveshaft

Luna.
03-02-06, 09:04 PM
Also your factory warranty is pretty much junk as soon as you install any type or performance enhancers so my rear diff isnt a problem of warranty.

This is not necessarily a true statement...

keeksv
03-02-06, 10:04 PM
hey ewill...i think his unit includes the diff, half shafts, and driveshaft

I also think he said earlier that the exhaust issue needed to be dealt with. Maybe Parker can chime in.

...now back to our political debate:rant2:

BeagleBrains
03-02-06, 10:17 PM

I want to thank the engineer that decided to improve a cooling pump at our power plant. Wow!!!:tisk: He came up with a mod; just some new bolts holding the pump in place. Up to that time, nothing was wrong. No vibration, no corrosion, stable (3200 horse power) motor current, constant flow and pressure. Operating at 100% power, all cooling suddenly went away. Turns out that all of the bolts sheared, dropping the pump into the suction pit. One (1) 150,000 gallon per minute pump destroyed. Power plant: shut down. Lost production and repairs: costly. Engineer compatancy: ZERO. :bigroll:

wooderson
03-02-06, 10:22 PM

It ain't "nationalism, patriotism" that's the problem, it's liberalism. That's why we are second rate in so many areas. Students graduate now not because of their acedemic abilities, but because of the impact of hurting their self-esteem. I don't feel we are second rate by any means but I can understand others feeling that way because genius conservatives like yourself can't even spell academics. So much for demanding standards. I'm sure your much better at math and sciences though.

DaveBlk
03-02-06, 10:31 PM
Just heard the results of a recent poll. Over 20% of Americans think the first amendment is THAT A PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO OWN A PET > Frikin funny. I'm canadian and i even know better than that!!!!!:stirpot:

madman69
03-02-06, 11:17 PM
Here ismy last rant.

I am a young PUNK (36 yrs old) and I have been in the racing industry all my life. I have dealt with engineers from PROMOD cars to stock vehicles. I have learned that the real wold exists and the "engineer world is bogus". Case in point . The PROMODS that run are required to have a 1 1/8X.058 bar to stop the clutch from cutting off his feet. I have found that the driver will still loose his feet from a clutch explosion. Now I can go to a 1 1/4X.095 bar and he will still have his feet. The mathematics and theory show I am wrong but the proof is there. next case, the GM no it alls state that the rear diff will handle the motor that is in the CTS-V. Well we all know that is bogus. Of course the ALL KNOWING Engineers havent addressed the clutch and input shaft problem inherent to the LS style motors.

But hey you know what I have no idea what I am dealing with because I have practical knowledge and AMERICAN PRIDE.;

DILLIGAF
03-02-06, 11:23 PM
Make it work,make it affordable,let me get that euro trash out from underneath my car.

wildwhl
03-02-06, 11:30 PM
Now that I've read through this thread I only have one question:

"Where are the boobs?"

WW

StealthV
03-02-06, 11:39 PM
Most "engineers" on race teams aren't engineers. Really. Been there; done that. Built cars for many years...

Many "engineers" in the corporate world gain that title via transferring into the job title even though they are pencil pushing marketing or accounting types, etc.

Real engineers are worth having around. As one of the rare blood sweat grease and tears gearhead degreed engineers, I take offense to the engineer bashing and the ring on fifth finger gives me the right.

Yes, even Canadians get the ring. :)

ace996
03-03-06, 01:42 AM
Liberals designed the original CTS-V's differential

Now it all makes sense....

FastMatt
03-03-06, 01:53 AM
I will take one with 3.08 gears please. (then maby I can use 1st gear)

heavymetals
03-03-06, 03:01 AM
Looks pretty bullet proof to me. :worship:

Looks like the car can double as a stump puller.

Parker
03-03-06, 04:03 AM
This thread has blown up since last time ive been on. I understand the exhaust needs to be rerouted, but will not see it possibly until tomorrow. I will chime in when I get back to Dallas later Friday evening.

DansCTSV
03-03-06, 09:49 AM
I agree with Stealth on this. We don't need to bash the engineers for this. I am sure it was a cost cutting move by the suits. As for designing a new rear end to replace it, there are two ways to go about it. One is to use previously engineered parts (ie half shafts, ring and pinion...) and real world experience to way overkill it and make a unit that will withstand a nuclear attack. aka what Madman is doing. The cost of this is probably some extra weight and maybe the loss of some horsepower turning these big beefy parts. As well as some extra noise.

The other way to go about it is to engineer a solution. One that will handle the horsepower, be lightweight and be nice and quiet. Maybe use some exotic materials to build it too. This is what Cadillac should have done. But if you think Madman's rear will be expensive just think how much it would cost an aftermarket company to go this route.

I vote we overkill it and then someone will be able to build a V that can lift the front tires off the ground on launch.

Kadonny
03-03-06, 10:01 AM
The other way to go about it is to engineer a solution. One that will handle the horsepower, be lightweight and be nice and quiet.

I think that is a near impossible task.

Parker
03-03-06, 10:18 AM
Who would shit if you saw a V pull the wheels....hahahaha

CIWS
03-03-06, 10:35 AM
I would probably sound off with some sort of crazy madman (no pun) laugh.

:holycrap: