: White sludge

Mephy
03-01-06, 05:29 PM
Ok, so I took the oil cap off to add oil to my 98 a few days ago when I noticed some white sludge on the cap itself.... I know normally this could mean coolant in my oil, which will be a blown head gasket, but, it could also be from short drives here and there, which we do sort of.... we haven't driven it like we use to, just because my wife hasn't gone out much... any suggestions guys??? it does have a blown valve cover gasket, surprise surprise.. could that have anything to do with it??

inconnu
03-01-06, 10:06 PM
Same thing here too,i am thinking that it has something to do with ccold weather or i am just being optimistic :bigroll:

Mephy
03-02-06, 09:43 AM
Well, I just found out as well, that since my valve cover gaskets leak, it's low on oil quite often, so the other day my brother-in-law was trying to be helpful and put some weird oil in it... something for motorcycles, but he said it was the same as car oil.. But, he doesn't realize just HOW sensitive these Cateras are... I think that may have something to do with it too... I'm gonna get the oil changed and hope the problem goes away....

inconnu
03-02-06, 11:38 AM
I changed the oil too but its the same thing,i never seen this stuff in summer,and when i check the dipstick there is no white deposit on that and the coolant level is fine too so i dont know whats going on if you come to know what is the reason let me know too .
Thanks

jebfrank
03-02-06, 04:20 PM
Have any of you guys had your oil coolers replaced yet? 97 and 98 with close to 100k should have them replaced if they already haven't.

inconnu
03-02-06, 04:47 PM
NO i dont think that oil cooler has been changed on mine,and i dont think its worth getting the thing changed because the kind of money i am getting in the trade in for this car (2000-2300$ CD) if some one else could shed some light on this thing about white sludge i will appreciate that. Thanks

Mephy
03-02-06, 10:34 PM
No, oil cooler has not been replaced, but, I'm not sure if I wanna do that either. It's already got 145K, plus, the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced, that's $600-$650 just for that... the oil cooler I think is at LEAST another $700.... I think I'm gonna get the oil changed and see if that helps.. I think it has to do with that "other oil" my brother in law added.... and the fact that it hasn't been driven for a long distance in awhile.

CtA318
03-03-06, 06:27 PM
Valve cover gaskets $650? My ass man. Get the part yourself for $50.00 from Advanced Auto Parts and do the work yourself. It's easy as shit.

Mephy
03-03-06, 09:44 PM
I would NEVER buy something like that from Advanced Auto Parts.... besides, I've checked Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Napa, CarQuest, and NO ONE had that part in stock... Cadillac dealer wants $119 a SIDE for it.. plus, I believe you have to loosen the back motor mounts to access the rear of the valve covers... maybe I'm wrong.. I'd rather pay a little extra for a warranty... other than that I do all my work most of the time.....

BTW inconnu, Cadillac dealer says it's quite common on cateras.. I think we're safe. =)

jebfrank
03-07-06, 12:58 AM
Wow $119 per each side! I just did gaskets for a friend on his 99. Normal price "Indiana" 83 bucks, I got them for 54 each. Not that hard to replace and the oil cooler isn't hard to replace either.

Tailfin
03-07-06, 08:44 AM
Gadzooks! $119 a side?@! There is nothing wrong with getting gaskets from Advance Auto or whatever store. They may not have it in stock, but it won't take them but a couple days to get it in. I did my valve cover gaskets last year and got them for 30 bucks at AutoZone (maybe car difference, but still that is absurd). No leaks. Just make sure you don't over torque the bolts/squeeze the gasket out and you'll be fine.

Anyway, my advice would be get the gaskets wherever...and report whoever gave you that quote to the nearest religious cult. A deception that profuse has to be worth 30 lashes... Some parts are better to get non-aftermarket, but gaskets are not precision instruments...

While you've got the engine apart to that point, might be a good idea to be extra sure the intake manifold gaskets are not leaking as well. I don't know if it's common there...just a mistake umm...I made :bigroll:

bengsxr
03-07-06, 03:00 PM
hey I just wanted to say my .02 here ok you will have a little white sludge in your filler neck during the cold months if you do not get your engine temp up high enough every time. ok what happens you go on a few trips to the corner store then park your semi warm car which draws in moister then you go on a long trip and get the engine warm enough to cook the water out of your oil. well it all can not escape out of your crankcase breather no condensation rises to the top point of the engine which is the filler neck. but on the other hand you must check your oil to make sure it is not milky or the coolant is all good because we all know that would point to the oil cooler leaking problem well hope I was helpfull folk.

El Dobro
03-07-06, 03:34 PM
If the oil cooler is leaking, it's usually the seals that go. Reseal it first before you replace the cooler.

Mephy
03-11-06, 10:17 PM
LoL, just figured out why they quote me like $120 for valve cover gaskets... it's because they were quoting me for the Valve Covers which come WITH the gaskets.. you guys were right, only like $62 a side for the gaskets... finally had them replaced....fixed the leaking, but, my oil PRESSURE light still comes on, even though the pressure is fine.. must be a bad sensor...

Omega_man
03-15-06, 09:17 AM
Hello,

White sludge on the filler cap and filler neck is usually due to the cold weather (as mentioned already).

A note about the cam/rocker cover gaskets. I recently replaced both of mine on my 2.5 V6 (same as the 3.0 just smaller bore). Round the back, on the passenger side of the engine (the right hand side if your looking from the front), there's the engine breather assembly, which connects to the rubber pipes that go into the back of the plenum chamber. I found that this was blocked on mine, which caused the gaskets to go in the first place, due a buildup of crankcase pressure. I removed the rubber pipes on mine and blasted them through, which seemed to clear out a lot of crud.

Car runs a lot better now that their clear.

Hope this helps.

James.

gixxer_751
02-11-09, 08:08 PM
all wrong.. and too aptomistic.. its the Oil cooler leaking.. sorry to say it but it is