: Smoker's Escalade

Mumbo
03-01-06, 05:09 PM
I am thinking about buying a smoker's Escalade. I can get a very good deal on it, but I can't take the smoke stain smell. A detailer told me he could get 85% of the smell out, but he can do much with the headliner, which probably has most of the stench in it.

Has anybody gone through this? Has anybody replaced the Escalade headliner? I would love to know.

Thanks,
Mumbo

Rolex
03-01-06, 06:38 PM
A box of baking soda left in the vehicle over a weekend may help. I've also heard of people having success using a bowl of white vinegar left in the vehicle overnight...repeat as necessary. Last, and not least, placing coffee grounds in the vehicle for a couple of days can eliminate odors. I haven't personally used any of the above, but they'd be worth a try.

When in doubt a professional interior steam cleaning and detail would help.

Synergetic
03-01-06, 09:42 PM
Replacing the headliner? and whatever is necessary to get the smell out? Especially if you're getting a really good deal on the Escalade itself, you mine as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deal are you getting on the Escalade?

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-01-06, 10:33 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deal are you getting on the Escalade?

I would like to know as well if possible.

Thanks.

Black Beauty 03 ESV
03-02-06, 07:38 AM
Baking soda and vinegar will work or you go to a industrial place (Daycon) and purchase a house bomb. Once I burnt some microwave popcorn and I used one of these bombs to neutralize the smell it worked great.

hcvone
03-02-06, 08:29 AM
We used to get this at our detail shops all the time, we would shampoo the carpet, mats and headliner, then clean the leather and vinyl, some cars we had to do twice.

Mumbo
03-02-06, 10:23 AM
Replacing the headliner? and whatever is necessary to get the smell out? Especially if you're getting a really good deal on the Escalade itself, you mine as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deal are you getting on the Escalade?

04 Escalade, mileage in the upper twenties.
$30,000.00
I think this is a good price.

Nasty Black Lac
03-02-06, 12:24 PM
04 Escalade, mile in the upper twenties. $30,000.00

:hmm:

Synergetic
03-02-06, 02:51 PM
04 Eschjk;alade, miles in the uper twen0.0

Hmm... must of been in a hurry. lol!!

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-02-06, 02:53 PM
Hmm... must of been in a hurry. lol!!

Haha. I hate when people post like this. It really annoys me.

Thanks.

womsterr
03-02-06, 03:04 PM
I had a couple cars I got at the auction that had a smokers smell - and a company car that was AWFUL. I shampoo'd everything and used FEBREEZE and changed the filters etc...end result...no smell

gredneck
03-02-06, 09:32 PM
try this(first item on page) :

http://www.2guyssmokeshop.com/Miscellaneous+Cigar+Accessories.html

I've got a buddy who flips cars and he swears by it.
leaves it plugged in for a day.

since I smoke cigars (not in the lade yet) I was going to try it in my astro
van and see how it works.

Synergetic
03-02-06, 11:15 PM
A 2004 with mileage in the 20's for 30 g's. Thats a good deal. Definetely jump on that. But i'd still buy a 2002 with 100,000 miles for $50,000. Making a point that the 2002 model IS the best, in my opinion.

Falkolade
03-02-06, 11:27 PM
A 2004 with mileage in the 20's for 30 g's. Thats a good deal. Definetely jump on that. But i'd still buy a 2002 with 100,000 miles for $50,000. Making a point that the 2002 model IS the best, in my opinion.

couldn't agree more... 02's rock!!!

Synergetic
03-02-06, 11:33 PM
:thumbsup: Yup.

slk230mb
03-02-06, 11:41 PM

:yeah: :thumbsup:

ewill3rd
03-03-06, 08:18 AM
I am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke odors.
I used to be around it all the time. I used to run PA for a band and they played in clubs that were so smoke filled that I couldn't see the stage from the soundboard. Now if I am around it I get sinus infections and all kinds of respiratory problems. Personally I wouldn't even try.

I have had a dozen or so headliners out. It's not as hard as you might think but for a novice it would be a major PITA. Plus on a new body style truck you have to remove the dash to get the headliner out because the harness that comes with the headliner goes down the A-pillar to a junction block on the floor. The connector won't come up through the dash without some major disassembly.
From my personal viewpoint, the smoke odor would be a deal killer.
That's one of the reasons I bought my last car from the factory.

I am sure it's possible to make it un-noticable for some folks. It all depends on your level of sensitivity.
I'd check www.kbb.com for used car values in your area before thinking that 30K is a sweet deal. Still sounds like a lot of money for something you might not be happy with.

Mumbo
03-03-06, 03:10 PM
Other than you owning one, what makes an '02 better? They look the same to me.

Ormond
03-03-06, 03:47 PM
I bought an Audi A6 that had been owned by a heavy smoker. It was detailed, and I bought an ozone machine which I ran inside the car. During the summer, the smell would come back.

I would never buy a smoker's car again.:thepan:

csmooth79
03-04-06, 03:11 PM
I was just about to say, "What about an ozone machine". Its a dealer/detailer trick, but if you want the truck bad enough have it detailed with ozone and you may be able to live with it. But, fair warning, it will not get rid of it forever, just enough that I might take the deal. 04 25k miles for 30k, I thought I got a good deal 02 w/34k miles for just under 30 :want: .

hornyjuan
03-04-06, 03:17 PM
Other than you owning one, what makes an '02 better? They look the same to me.

IMO...

Better looking steering wheel, gauge clusters, button placement. Plus it's the first year the model came out so why not?

I think this has been debated a million times now.

Synergetic
03-04-06, 07:09 PM
IMO...

Better looking steering wheel, gauge clusters, button placement. Plus it's the first year the model came out so why not?

I think this has been debated a million times now.

Exactly, its the first year of that generation body style of the hottest SUV to ever hit the streets. That was clearly proven when people started adding Escalade front end conversions to everything! From H2's to Tahoes, to Silverados. Think about it? And from 2002 on, the Escalade went down hill. The steering wheel on the 02 is my favorite and the only year the Escalade had that steering wheel, of this body style. The way its layed out.

I believe the side fares on the body are molded on 03+ as well? Someone help me out on that, I could be wrong.

fast66
03-04-06, 07:15 PM
I believe the side fares on the body are molded on 03+ as well? Someone help me out on that, I could be wrong.

from 02-06 the escalades are all the same from outside.

I still like the 02 better, seats are more comfortable

Synergetic..how many miles you got on yours?

Cadillade
03-04-06, 10:31 PM
I like the 05's instrument panel better. The '04+ steering wheel looks much better IHMO. Whatever floats your boat.

Spittin Game
03-05-06, 04:06 AM
Ive heard you cant really get the smell out for good. People that dont smoke will pick up the scent in a second. You might get used to it and think its out, but someone that goes for a ride and doesnt smoke will definitely smell it.

Synergetic
03-05-06, 06:56 AM
from 02-06 the escalades are all the same from outside.

I still like the 02 better, seats are more comfortable

Synergetic..how many miles you got on yours?

But we're arranging a purchase on a practically new 2002 motor that we'll be swapping out the old for. Then trashing the current one.

slk230mb
03-05-06, 11:10 AM
But we're arranging a purchase on a practically new 2002 motor that we'll be swapping out the old for. Then trashing the current one.

70k, that things barely broken in.

Steelhead Jess
03-05-06, 08:59 PM
ok, so I wasn't paying much attention to this thred, but then I had to make a trip out from the west coast to Montana for a funeral and take my 6 year old son.....of course he puked in the back seat. Kids! Anyway, baking powder and febreez has done a good job, along with a carpet steamer. I may still buy something called an "ozone bomb". I guess car dealers use these things all the time? Anyone hear of them?

erf2u
01-24-07, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I know this is a very old thread, and not to hijack it...but I just picked up my 2002 Lade with 98K miles..all for a sweet $17K......was a smoker vehicle and did smell...going to try the febreeze today...

Rolex
01-24-07, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I know this is a very old thread, and not to hijack it...but I just picked up my 2002 Lade with 98K miles..all for a sweet $17K......was a smoker vehicle and did smell...going to try the febreeze today...

Congrats on the new Escalade....and the thread resurrection! :welcome: to the forums. Be warned though, they're addivtive! :cool2:

MarkMatthews
01-24-07, 08:19 PM
Why do all these trucks have high mileage, they didnt turn the odometer off, what where they thinking?

Rolex
01-24-07, 08:53 PM
Why do all these trucks have high mileage, they didnt turn the odometer off, what where they thinking?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/TROLL.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/normal_BanHim.jpg

ETA: I know you're joking?!

MarkMatthews
01-24-07, 11:22 PM
yeah, but i know that was a big issue with miami trucks.

Falkolade
01-24-07, 11:34 PM
why bother? it just sounds like buying a headache...

Uria702
01-29-07, 04:27 PM
drive down the jersey turnpike with the windows down by the time youre done youll be wishing it smelled like cigarettes