: Boost a Pump Problem

Vegas V
03-01-06, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, it's me with another problem.

it seems that the boost a pump provided with the maggie shorted out or something, when I go to shut the car down, the fuel pump in the tank stays on, I can hear it after I am out of the car with the key in my hand, I went to disconect the boos a pump fuse and then the fuel pump stops, but the car will not start if the fuse is off, is there anything wrong with my boost a pump? not to mention that if I leave the fuse on for more that 1 hour, my battery goes completetly dead, then I have to jump start the car.

I went ahead and disconected the fuse when I got to work this morning and like I said before, the fuel pump in the tank did stop, and the battery has not drain yet, what can I do, this problem was not there before, any HELP.

Jose

Mat347
03-01-06, 02:49 PM
I'd contact Maggie, and/or the vendor and see what they suggest. Sounds like a faulty unit to me.

heavymetals
03-01-06, 03:11 PM
The boost a pump isn't bad.

The relay that connects to that circuit is.

If it was working then they spliced into the right circuit.

Here is a link: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/amppower.html

Pull the fuel pump relay and see if the pump stops.

If it does, bad relay (likely) or circuit driving relay is bad (highly unlikely).

If pump keeps running, then it was installed wrong. (boost a pump).

Vegas V
03-01-06, 03:27 PM
The boost a pump isn't bad.

The relay that connects to that circuit is.

If it was working then they spliced into the right circuit.

Here is a link: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/amppower.html

Pull the fuel pump relay and see if the pump stops.

If it does, bad relay (likely) or circuit driving relay is bad (highly unlikely).

If pump keeps running, then it was installed wrong. (boost a pump).

Heavy.

I understand what you are sayin, but taking in cinsideartion that the maggie has been installed for 1 1/2 months and the problem just started yesterday, that only tells me that the boost a pump was not connected wrong, however I could be wrong.

I called magnuson products and talked with a tech service guy, he told me to bypass the magna-volt all together and see if the fuel pump goes back to work like it should be with out the magna-volt, but I don't even know how to bypass it, any idea?

Jose

heavymetals
03-01-06, 03:43 PM
The magna volt is "inline" (like a fuse). It only works if that line is made "hot".

You said, if you remove the fuse, the pump stops running (good).

You said that the pump keeps running when you turn the ignition off.

There is a pump relay that turns on that circuit when the igniton is turned on.

That relay sounds like it is stuck to me.

The contacts may have arced closed.

Vegas V
03-01-06, 04:01 PM
The magna volt is "inline" (like a fuse). It only works if that line is made "hot".

You said, if you remove the fuse, the pump stops running (good).

You said that the pump keeps running when you turn the ignition off.

There is a pump relay that turns on that circuit when the igniton is turned on.

That relay sounds like it is stuck to me.

The contacts may have arced closed.

Heavy,

I was just outside looking for the fuel pump relay, I did found it, under the rear seat bottom, it is in the pass side, and what you are saying makes much more sense now, I saw how the magna-volt wires to the fuel pump, it uses power, ground, and it also uses the FUEL PUMP signal from the ignition switch to star working, it makes sence now, the magna-volt can not make the fuel pump work on its own because it is not receiving singnal from the ign, switch, am I right now??

I'm going to drive by the dealer and pick up a fuel pump relay on my way home, does any body has the part number for that relay so I can have it orderer and not have to wait at the parts counter?

heavymetals
03-01-06, 04:36 PM
I did not think your Magna Volt is wired directly from the battery to the fuel pump.

I thought it went through the fuel pump relay circuit (my maggie does, but I have an older version).

The mana volt is "turned on" (boost pump mode) by the boost switch sensor (not ignition).

It is a voltage booster. it takes the incoming voltage (12) and increases it to about 20 (to the fuel pump) in boost mode.

I still think you got a stuck relay.

Vegas V
03-02-06, 03:51 PM
I did not think your Magna Volt is wired directly from the battery to the fuel pump.

I thought it went through the fuel pump relay circuit (my maggie does, but I have an older version).

The mana volt is "turned on" (boost pump mode) by the boost switch sensor (not ignition).

It is a voltage booster. it takes the incoming voltage (12) and increases it to about 20 (to the fuel pump) in boost mode.

I still think you got a stuck relay.

Heavy,

I read the instructions for the maggie install last night, it tells you how to connect the magna-volt, it uses power from the main power cable from the battery and it gets the signal form the RPM wire, then when the RPM's go up, it triggers a discharge to the fuel pump to raise the volts.

heavymetals
03-02-06, 04:12 PM
I find it hard to believe that the unit bypasses the fuel pump relay circuit.

Did you remove the relay and did the pump keep running?

Vegas V
03-02-06, 05:47 PM
I find it hard to believe that the unit bypasses the fuel pump relay circuit.

Did you remove the relay and did the pump keep running?

Yup.

that is how it works. :alchi:

heavymetals
03-02-06, 06:26 PM
If you disconnect the RPM sense wire does the pump stop?

Also, is there another sense wire to the ignition?

Disconnect that one and see if the pump stops.

If not, sounds like you have a bad unit.

Can you scan the wiring hookup and send?

Use:

lasong50@pacbell.net.

Vegas V
03-02-06, 06:59 PM
If you disconnect the RPM sense wire does the pump stop?

Also, is there another sense wire to the ignition?

Disconnect that one and see if the pump stops.

If not, sounds like you have a bad unit.

Can you scan the wiring hookup and send?

Use:

lasong50@pacbell.net.

No, there is no other sending wire, just power, ground, tach signal, and the 2 wires that splice in to the fuel pump GREY wire.

No, I have not tried to unplug the RPM sending wire yet, I bypassed the magna-volt unit all together, went to the trunk and disconected the 2 wires from the magnavolt from the GREY wire on the fuel pump, then I connected both ends of the grey wire together (like it was before the magna-volt was ever installed ie. OEM) and the pump stoped working, now when I open the ignition switch to acc. I can hear the pump just like it's supposed to work without a maggie, only 1 answer here, bad magna-volt.

Called magnuson products, talked to Justin, I'm sending my magna-volt back to them to be tested, if in fact is bad, they are going to send me a new one, I'm also able to drive the car, but a CAN NOT go into boost, which takes all the fun away from driving it, so I'm going to have to drive my other car for another week.

Jose

heavymetals
03-02-06, 07:54 PM
Yep, bad unit

Troubleshooting 101.

Welcome to mod hell.

Evidently they changed the way that the sytem works since I installed mine.

Sounds like they bypass the pump relay circuit altogether.

My pump booster mounts in the trunk with sensor wires to a boost switch.

Never connected directly to the battery.

Vegas V
03-02-06, 08:34 PM
Yep, bad unit

Troubleshooting 101.

Welcome to mod hell.

Evidently they changed the way that the sytem works since I installed mine.

Sounds like they bypass the pump relay circuit altogether.

My pump booster mounts in the trunk with sensor wires to a boost switch.

Never connected directly to the battery.

Thanks for all your help, and for been patient with me, the bad unit is going back to magnuson tomorrow.

Jose

heavymetals
03-03-06, 04:46 PM
I got the email.

It seems that now the booster unit is connected to the battery (fused of course) and under the hood (early verions in trunk).

The wire that goes from the pump relay is then cut (as in the early versions with the booster in the trunk) and is used as the "turn on" signal to the booster unit instead of supplying it power as the early versions do.

Also, the vacuum/pressure switch is built into the boost unit as is the addition of an RPM sensor input (not available in the early units).

V-Sting
03-03-06, 04:57 PM
In your opinion(s), why was this change in installation made, and which layout do you prefer (old vs new)?

Vegas V
03-03-06, 05:10 PM
In your opinion(s), why was this change in installation made, and which layout do you prefer (old vs new)?

Heavy,

This is a question for you.

In my opinion, having the new Magna-volt style, I like it and it is easy to install.

Jose

heavymetals
03-03-06, 08:14 PM

Well there are power losses going through the relay, and the large gauge wire connecting close to the battery (with the new unit) makes the "burden" a little easier on the wiring as it takes more current for the booster to work.

As for the addition of the RPM sense wire, I don't know.

Layout?

I like the trunk mounting as the stuff under the hood gets cooked.