: Thermagasket, cylinder head repair goop

tactical64
03-01-06, 10:59 AM
http://www.rxauto.com

Checkout this thermagasket stuff they have. Anybody tried it and know if it might really work?

My head gasket repair might benefit from this stuff. My car still will start and run. It runs badly when cold and fine while warm except for all the vapor and occaisional overheating when the coolant gets low.

I am going for the head gaskets this weekend. I have everything coordinated as seen in my other thread about parts lists. I know theres no magic cure necessarily but this sponsored product from cadillacforums sparked some interest.

tactical64
03-01-06, 11:13 AM
I called the Rxauto guys about their product. They were surprisingly straight forward with me and told me that their product works on about 95% of the vehicles they use it on. The 5% that it doesnt typically work on includes the Northstar engine.

However he told me that since I dont have blow by in the purge tank, I only have vapor out tail pipes, that indeed this is the type of repair that the product works with best.

samm
03-01-06, 11:17 AM
i don't really know about this stuff, but i got a little story for ya.
my sled started locking up on me, like one cylinder would not turn (its a triple). i left it for a couple of months till more snow came and i couldn't take it anymore so i went at it.
discovered that the bolts that hold the block and crankcase together(not the head gasket, one lower) were worked off. i ripped out the engine, opened her up, cleaned the cylinder heads, etc.
now, when i threw it back together i used some black silicone gasket replacement stuff, since the old gasket was shredded from the space from loose nuts. not sure what brand, but this stuff set in 24 hours and i threw everything back together.
the sled runs great, even faster ;)
now i know that my xlt is no cadillac, but i'm just letting you know that this stuff worked very good for me. also, it wasnt the stuff you are looking into AND it was not used on the head. so, your call. but i do believe my sled engine runs hotter than a n* right guys?

zonie77
03-01-06, 12:24 PM
rfishing (sorry if I misspelled) had a long thread about this. Look for it.

Ranger
03-01-06, 12:35 PM
Yeah Zonie is right. But before you search for rfishings thread pour yourself a big drink. It is probably the longest I've ever seen. Bottom line is, repairs in a bottle don't fix head gaskets.

jupiter57
03-01-06, 03:35 PM
You asked if anyone has tried it:
I have once, didn't work.
(Though I felt, and still feel, that it was worth a try)

As tactical64 said, it will not work on Northstars.

tactical64
03-01-06, 05:38 PM
I have decided against the Thermagasket. If I had found it a week ago or more I would have, but I have all my guys lined up and parts and money. Wish me luck, heads are comin off.

I do plan to use it in the future on the next vehicle I know of that blows a head gasket.