: No Heat/Defrost

ihsviks
03-01-06, 12:21 AM
So my heat/defrost/ac just went out last week. The buttons still light up, but theres no display for the temp outside or anything. :rant2: Too cheap to take it in right now and was hoping one of you guys could help me?

ondale
03-01-06, 02:16 AM
First step. Check the fuses. It is a 10amp fuse.
If your cigarette lighter doesn't work, and you have the "headlights suggested" symbol lit on your instrument panel, then it is the fuse for sure. My Climate control unit is dead right now too. (I live in Chicago and could use the heat), and search eBay for used units.
I am searching the posts on instructions on how to remove the unit. I have found a link on the instrument cluster, but not the instrument cluster.

ihsviks
03-01-06, 02:50 AM
Well thanks for the quick reply. The lighter doesn't work, yet headlights work just fine at night and all. I'm thinking of disconnectting the battery like a few posts have stated related to the subject to see if that works.
Driving in Seattle with no defrost is no fun. I have to use a towel to wipe the windshield every like 5 minutes.

ondale
03-01-06, 03:52 AM
"headlights suggested" symbol. The fuse that controls the Climate control, also works the cigarette lighter and the headlight sensor "nipple" located on the center dash close to the front window. If you look at the instrument cluster there is a symbol that will look like this (!) . When the automatic headlight sensor is turned off (button is located under the Headlight knob), that symbol will appear. It is meant to suggest that conditions require headlights.

Basically, if your headlights are on during the day on the sunniest of days, then that center dashboard dome sensor is not working. Again that could indicate a bad fuse.

As for the lack of defrost, if you leave the windows cracked open a little, it will not frost as quickly, but you'll be cold.

ihsviks
03-20-06, 10:33 AM
So the fuse is replaced. Still same problem as before.
I went to a dealership service department and they quoted me 1600 to replace the unit. I'll drive around w/o it until Fall. LOL

ondale
03-20-06, 06:29 PM
Ouch, out of control. You can buy a replacement unit used for $100 or less. You can then take it to any place to have them do the labor or you can do it yourself. For the part, check out www.car-parts.com

That is a great site to search the thousands of used parts across the nation, and in your own city. I bought my replacement AC/Climate Control unit there. No problems.

Hope this helps

ihsviks
03-20-06, 10:57 PM
Thanks Ondale. =) what part did you search for specifically? Cause all I get is AC, but no climate control option or instrument panel.

ondale
03-21-06, 12:18 AM
When you do the search, look for "Heater AC Control Unit" I assume you will need the whole control unit. You can check eBay under "Catera Climate Control" for pictures.

mytmous
03-23-06, 09:25 AM
Sorry to bring this up, but would this Heater AC Control Unit be the cause of my heat not working, but the AC works great, but here is the wierd thing, if I turn the heat on it will blow hot for 10-15 secs then cools off, if i turn it off for like 5 sec and turn it back on it blows hot again for 10 sec or so.

I had just replaced the water heater control valve but this was going on before that, and it was replaced right. someone said it was electronic problem as we have chased every vacume line and all and everything is hooked up right.