: 1st Gear BANG

JP's V
02-28-06, 10:36 PM
I was easing into first (1300-1500 RPM) after the light turned green and then BANG!!! It felt like an elephant kicked the V in its nose. An old MB was next to me in the left hand lane with his windows down and nearly sh!t his pants. It slipped out of gear but nothing else strange for the rest of the way home (about 5 miles of lights). What the hell?

CVP33
02-28-06, 11:58 PM
I was easing into first (1300-1500 RPM) after the light turned green and then BANG!!! It felt like an elephant kicked the V in its nose. An old MB was next to me in the left hand lane with his windows down and nearly sh!t his pants. It slipped out of gear but nothing else strange for the rest of the way home (about 5 miles of lights). What the hell?

Bushings gone, most likely broken. Metal on metal as the rear cradle torques itself. Take it easy and get to your dealer. You'll be fine. Of course, you were driving your V abusively and you probably should stop.

lasstss
03-01-06, 12:13 AM

If you were not completely into 1st, it could have popped out and under load, its loud. A good way to break teeth.

CVP33
03-01-06, 12:19 AM
If you were not completely into 1st, it could have popped out and under load, its loud. A good way to break teeth.

I missed that part. Didn't realize he'd slipped out of gear.

trekster
03-01-06, 12:44 AM
If you were not completely into 1st, it could have popped out and under load, its loud. A good way to break teeth.This happens to me every now and then. It scares the $hit out of me everytime.

Seattle CTS-V
03-01-06, 02:02 AM
It has happened to me twice when I was shifting very lazy into 2nd. I start to release the clutch thinking I'm in 2nd and POP!! The thing pops out of gear and scares the living crap out of me. Of course, this was all before I got the UUC shifter.

odysseus
03-01-06, 09:41 AM
I've had it happen occassionally with my lowly V6 CTS. It certainly wakes you up. I try to shift firmly in gear (especially first) to keep that to a minimum.

diverdan
03-01-06, 10:52 AM
I've had that happen to me in the V and GTO as well as in my previous Z06. Just an idiosyncracy of the T56 transmission; It'll fool you into thinking 1st is all the way engaged when it's not.

Blacksport350
03-01-06, 11:24 AM
Not a big deal, you didn 't fully engage 1st gear and it came out with a bang as soon as you put it under load. I have watched this happen and without fail, it can be traced to the car not being fully in gear. The long throw and vague feel of the gear shift compounds the problem and a short shifter will almost eliminate it as it will be far more obvious when it is not fully in gear. This can also happen in second and reverse.

Seattle CTS-V
03-01-06, 02:15 PM
Not a big deal, you didn 't fully engage 1st gear and it came out with a bang as soon as you put it under load. I have watched this happen and without fail, it can be traced to the car not being fully in gear. The long throw and vague feel of the gear shift compounds the problem and a short shifter will almost eliminate it as it will be far more obvious when it is not fully in gear. This can also happen in second and reverse.

Yep, just get yourself the UUC shifter and you'll never be tricked into thinking you're in gear again! Snick, snick, snick is all you'll hear/feel!

c4racer
03-01-06, 03:42 PM
I have had the 2nd slip out happen more since adding the UUC. You really have to yank it hard to get into 2nd fully with the UUC - a lot more than w/ the stock shaft. So if you are just cruising around mellowly and shifting early the UUC actually makes this condition worse.

obzidian
03-01-06, 06:36 PM
what?! the UUC has a flaw?

NEVER!!!!!

BadCad
03-01-06, 07:01 PM
no no... i've found you have to be definitive with the UUC to shift into 2nd or else you're not fully in gear. i've crunched gears a few times after the install and not yet fully familiar with the UUC.
also, i've shifted by accident into reverse instead of 5th (from 4th) and luckily realized my error in time before releasing the clutch! not good at 65 mph on the freeway. i've never had that happen to me with the stock shifter.

btw JP'sV - were you downshifting into 1st while running at those rpm's when this happened?

JP's V
03-01-06, 08:04 PM
no no... i've found you have to be definitive with the UUC to shift into 2nd or else you're not fully in gear. i've crunched gears a few times after the install and not yet fully familiar with the UUC.
also, i've shifted by accident into reverse instead of 5th (from 4th) and luckily realized my error in time before releasing the clutch! not good at 65 mph on the freeway. i've never had that happen to me with the stock shifter.

btw JP'sV - were you downshifting into 1st while running at those rpm's when this happened?

No, I was going from a complete stop to an easy start in first.

V-SATX
03-01-06, 09:15 PM

BadCad,

Is it even possible to shift into reverse when you are cruising at 65 mph? I always thought that the transmission will not allow a shift into reverse when the car is moving forward. This should have nothing to do with the actual shifter.
:confused:

c5racr1
03-01-06, 10:30 PM
happened to me once, my wife who was the front passenger seat said " you must be getting old, you can't put it in any more!" I looked over and we both LOL. Never did that again

daytripper
03-02-06, 11:06 AM
BadCad,

Is it even possible to shift into reverse when you are cruising at 65 mph? I always thought that the transmission will not allow a shift into reverse when the car is moving forward. This should have nothing to do with the actual shifter.
:confused:

Check this thread... The accidental engagement of reverse instead of 5th gear has happened to a number of us, in spite of the reverse lockout solenoid.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/55777-transmission-rubbish-top-gear-right.html?highlight=shift+reverse

Consensus is that the UUC doesn't help on this particular problem, and that it doesn't happen to other cars with our tranny. May be a product of the linkage in our car.

Brian R.

BadCad
03-02-06, 12:43 PM
hey tks, daytripper - i missed that thread.
so it's just not me getting old and not being able to put it in properly anymore.... whew - gotta practice some more later