: Loaded v. Unloaded brake calipers?

Spyder
02-28-06, 08:04 PM
What exactly does this mean? I'm putting new brakes on the Challenger, all new components just so I never have to worry about them leaking or anything, and I've got the option of loaded, semi-loaded or standard calipers. I've never encountered this before and don't really know what the hell it means. The parts guy couldn't tell me either.

El Dobro
02-28-06, 08:17 PM
Loaded calipers means they come with the brake pads, unloaded means without pads and semi-loaded is usually the condition I'm in when working on the car.

dbdartman
02-28-06, 09:11 PM
I dare you to order loaded calipers. If they do come that way, it'll be the first time I've ever heard of them on that era Mopar.

What brakes are you using, 72 discs or later?

PAW 47
02-28-06, 09:38 PM
Spyder.. Read here before you do anything!! You might thank me or want to kill me :)

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/disc-brakes.html

Spyder
03-01-06, 04:01 AM
Yes yes...Thank you for the link, I will read it in detail later...tomorrow, maybe, as I must be up for class in six hours...

Dbartman...that didn't help me any! :) The car is a stock power disc brake car...factory disc, A/C, power steering...the works! I just don't know the difference between the loaded and semi loaded and regulars...something I'm sure I should know, but strangely enough, I don't.

El dobro, semi loaded, I most often am too, as I have a keg of cold beer on CO2 next to the toolbox. However, the loaded and the regulars both come with pads...so that can't be the difference...

Krashed989
03-01-06, 02:45 PM
The loaded and unloaded calipers are exactly the same. The only difference is that the loaded calipers come with the pads already 'loaded' into the caliper, where as the unloaded calipers you have to 'load' yourself.
I've never heard of semi-loaded calipers though... maybe those come with the pads but they are not loaded into the caliper...

dbdartman
03-01-06, 04:50 PM
IMHO, you'd be time & $$$ ahead to find a set of 73-76 A-body or 73-74 E-body spindles & caliper mounts. The pre-73 disc parts are quite hard to find & obscenely expensive. The 73-76 parts are cheap (rebuilt calipers go about $25-30 each & new rotors about $40 each). The 72 2-piece rotors go for about $125 each, when you can find them. :eek:

The 73+ discs are also easily up-gradable from 10.875" rotors to 11.75" rotors with caliper mounts from late 70's B-bodies (all you need is caliper mounts to match your calipers, or calipers to match the mounts, pin or slider).

My bro's 68 B'cuda has the 11.75" disc 11" drum power brakes & it scares me it stops so fast!

PM or E-mail me if you want more info (dbdartman at moparts.com).