: N* Replacement

duecentoi
02-28-06, 05:28 PM
Will a '94 N* engine and trans swap into a '97, if both are STSs? If the donor mortor is a VIN Y and the car is a VIN 9 can the swap be made to work by using the VIN Y ECU? The donor is reputed to be a VIN 9 but I know know way to be certain other than trans numbers. Anyone have any ideas?
Jason

Zorb750
02-28-06, 09:54 PM
No. That is not compatible.

Your ECM is not interchangeable between those years. The engine's different too... Sensors mount in different places, the entire intake's different. I suppose it could be done, on paper. In practice, you would have to replace lots of stuff, relocate some of the sensors, and put more time into it than it is worth.

duecentoi
02-28-06, 10:40 PM
By "not interchangable" do you mean that an '94 ECM won't plug into the '97 harness, Or that the harness itself is different? Will the plastic intake fit on the early motor? Are the VIN 9 transaxles different as well between '94 and '97?

I was trying to help out a friend of a friend with the '97 STS, but they are not up for that much of a project.

I however have both a '97 and '94 STS motor and transaxle assemblies for a pair of mad scientist projects that I am putting together. Tube frame kit car stuff. I was told that the early ECM and harness was the better unit for such a swap because while the harnesses are pretty much the same, the '94 ECM can be "chipped" while the '97 cannot. Have I been mis-informed?
TIA
Jason

fubar569
02-28-06, 11:19 PM
the harnesses are VERY different. you're talking OBD1 vs OBDII...

for tunability go with the 94 style setup. if you're gonna do a tube car for god saks go aftermarket engine mangement and then you can use whatever you want

SL1CK
02-28-06, 11:49 PM
VIN 9 and VIN Y? Wouldn't that be engines from two different cars? An STS and and SLS?

eldorado1
03-01-06, 12:01 AM
I however have both a '97 and '94 STS motor and transaxle assemblies for a pair of mad scientist projects that I am putting together. Tube frame kit car stuff. I was told that the early ECM and harness was the better unit for such a swap because while the harnesses are pretty much the same, the '94 ECM can be "chipped" while the '97 cannot. Have I been mis-informed?
TIA
Jason

(shameless plug)

Just FYI and all, I have a custom programmable stand alone ECM for the 96-99 engines. Current plan is plug and play, with wiring harness, for $500. it has more features than comparable stand alone aftermarket ECMs such as the Holley commander... Won't control the transmission, so you'd have to go manual or a transmission controller... If you're interested, or would like to discuss it further, feel free to send me a PM.

duecentoi
03-01-06, 12:35 AM
the harnesses are VERY different. you're talking OBD1 vs OBDII...

I think the difference is between MAF and speed density. I beleive the difference between OBD I and II is just code.

for tunability go with the 94 style setup. if you're gonna do a tube car for god saks go aftermarket engine mangement and then you can use whatever you want

What would be the advantage of that? I would need a way to control the transmition and what am I likely to gain for my $1,500 to $2,000? Just a steep learning curve and lots of time farting around instead of driving the car. How much HP it to be gained with a stand alone?

ronbo
03-06-06, 01:22 AM
(shameless plug)

Just FYI and all, I have a custom programmable stand alone ECM for the 96-99 engines. Current plan is plug and play, with wiring harness, for $500. it has more features than comparable stand alone aftermarket ECMs such as the Holley commander... Won't control the transmission, so you'd have to go manual or a transmission controller... If you're interested, or would like to discuss it further, feel free to send me a PM.

I'm unable to PM you... not enough posts yet. Please contact me re: your controllers.

eldorado1
03-06-06, 02:31 PM
PM sent, if you can't respond back, drop me an email