: What's the muffler for??

beerlover
02-28-06, 03:29 PM
I just noticed that the muffler on my '87 Brougham is just hanging there, not connected to anything upstream. I can hear NO DIFFERENCE in the level of exhaust noise now that it's disconnected. Why do I even need a muffler if it is doing nothing to muffle? Or do I have some other problems upstream that I haven't noticed yet.... Just wonderin'.

sizanjdf
02-28-06, 04:28 PM
if u dont notice much difference with or without the muffler it means that the muffler was rotted out from the time you got the car and you never knew it. Or....the catalytic converters are clogged and choking your car to death. So now your gonna ask what the catalytic converter is for...to rob your 307 of what little power it makes. I suggest having it removed if you can get away with it. and having a new muffler installed

beerlover
02-28-06, 04:42 PM
I live in a sniffer-test area, so the cat has to stay...

The car is just as quiet as any other luxury car I've been in. It seems like with no muffler it would be making a hell of a racket. I had the muffler fall off an old 72 Chevy I had with a 225 inline 6 and it was deafening... I guess the cat is just so restrictive on this thing that it muffles most of the sound before it even reaches the muffler. I'll have the shop check it all out and stick me on another muffler.

N0DIH
02-28-06, 06:14 PM
My LT1 just loosened 1 pipe after the right side Cat and it was awful loud. Embarrassing! Took off half a day today to fix. Quiet as a Cadillac now....

Night Wolf
02-28-06, 10:37 PM
Do you mean the resonator? It is in the back right of the car... long and round shaped. If so so... they have a tendency of rotting out, and there will be no drastic chnge in sound. The muffler is kinda in the middle of the car... and if that was gone, you'd definitly hear it.

beerlover
03-01-06, 08:05 AM
AHA!!! The Resonator. That is exactly what it is. I just assumed it was the muffler without looking at the rest of the exhaust. That explains it. So, would a place like Midas carry that part and how much should I expect to pay? Or should I even bother replacing it?

Katshot
03-01-06, 08:48 AM
Replace it with a straight pipe. Cheaper, easier, and will last longer. You'll never notice the difference.

brougham_geezer
03-01-06, 08:57 AM
The wider cylindrical part of the exhaust near the end of the tailpipe is the resonator. It can be seen immediatley upon looking underneath the rear of the car. So Nightwolf must be right. The muffler would be large and flat. Some mufflers are long, round, and have a resonator-like appearance though haha, ie Cherry Bombs or other glasspacks. If you had one of those on your car, and it rotted out, you might not notice. :bigroll:

Here at Canadian Tire, you can get a resonator, with a little stretch of pipe before it, and a plain turn down tip afterward, for $110-$130 Canadian.

pimpin88
03-02-06, 12:31 PM
dont bother with the resonator. abosultely no point in having it replaced after it rots out.

i dont have a resonator, . . . or a muffler, and you can definitely tell when you dont have a muffler. lol. although its not as loud as i thought. nice rumble at idle, and a real nice sound at WOT

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 02:51 PM
So there's no noticeable difference without the resonator(s)? I assumed they did at least something to baffle the noise down even more...

As is, I think my '95 LT1 car with the stock duals actually has less of an exhaust note then the '93 TBI car, even though it is almost silent itself. Kind of strange to have so much power, but barely be able to hear it...but I kinda like that, I think...

ocjmakaveli
03-02-06, 03:34 PM
So there's no noticeable difference without the resonator(s)? I assumed they did at least something to baffle the noise down even more...

As is, I think my '95 LT1 car with the stock duals actually has less of an exhaust note then the '93 TBI car, even though it is almost silent itself. Kind of strange to have so much power, but barely be able to hear it...but I kinda like that, I think...

I LOVE IT! lol :bouncy: :bouncy: that way when someone turns around to look at your car it's because your flying by them and NOT because it sounds like the motor has nickels inside of it(it's just like when little kids put cards on their bicycle wheels so they can hear that buzzing). If it wasn't that ricers made so much noise no one would ever bother looking at them :yawn:

Gosh I can't stand the little noisy engines, always sounds like someone stuffed a lawnmower into them......Jeez :thepan:

One last thing why do people(mostly annoying people polls and some magazines) say japanese cars are "sleek and stylish" when to me it always looks like they grabbed four SMALL pieces of steel(probably plastic) welded them together and painted them. Well to each their own :bouncy:

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 08:20 PM
Haha, yeah. Actually, one sound I do like to have is a pleasant engine note, but my '95 doesn't really seem to have much of any sound at all unless you trounce on it, then it sounds like a Vette...which is nice, but it could stand just a tiny bit more rumble the rest of the time.

I can't stand loud, popping crap, or a lot of roar when cruising, but a nice mellow growl under light to heavy acceleration would be nice. But, I have no plans to go changing a perfectly fine exhaust system any time soon, so I'll have to stick with the Caddy quite...oh, so tough to bear:rolleyes:

ocjmakaveli
03-02-06, 09:32 PM
Haha, yeah. Actually, one sound I do like to have is a pleasant engine note, but my '95 doesn't really seem to have much of any sound at all unless you trounce on it, then it sounds like a Vette...which is nice, but it could stand just a tiny bit more rumble the rest of the time.

I can't stand loud, popping crap, or a lot of roar when cruising, but a nice mellow growl under light to heavy acceleration would be nice. But, I have no plans to go changing a perfectly fine exhaust system any time soon, so I'll have to stick with the Caddy quite...oh, so tough to bear:rolleyes:

with the tail pipes i put on my car I can hear a slight putt putt coming from the rear when the air separates otherwise I can only hear the engine when I truly step more than halfway on the pedal and usually only at a certain speed about 20 mph or so i guess when it revs up really high before shifting.

Most of the time I only hear the tires spinning if I step on it hard but the motor is pretty quiet.

mharker
03-03-06, 10:13 PM
Ha! All this resonator talk brings back a funny memory.

Back in college I was driving a 1980 Seville. Exhaust went (and everything else but that's a different story). Muffler shop gave me an outrageous quote like $800. They yanked everything off and that 368 was almost deafening under acceleration.

Buddy and I went to the local Canadian tire. Bought a $25 truck muffler and a piece of that flexible bendable pipe, plus a couple other connectors. For about $100 we had it running as quiet as ever. Those resonators are total BS. Just an excuse for the dealership to overcharge you when you need muffler work.

Anyway never touched an FWD GM after that POS. If I would have bought a 68 back then it would have lasted me through college and still be running strong!