: Superchips Max Micro Tuner

Kidhummer
02-28-06, 02:59 PM
Did anyone ever try a handheld tuner?

1. Do they work?

2. Can you feel a difference?

3. how does it compare to a tune by StealthV or some other vendor?

4. is it worth the $400?

5. Is it available for 2006 models?

Thanks in advance!

Carnalsupply
02-28-06, 03:49 PM
I just picked one up and plan on installing it tonight (as long as it's not POURING out), so I'll let you know the seat of the pants dyno change tomorrow.
I bought the Superchips from a friend (for $200) prior to hearing about Stealth, but having read the rave reviews I probably would have opted for the Stealth setup if I hadn't already tossed the $200 for the Superchips. Why? Having personally worked on the EFI tune on my Corvette, I am now well aware of all the various parameters Stealth can change and can't for one minute believe Superchips (or any other plug and play tuner) is able to "touch" all the variables available.
One other point that, if I remember correctly, caught my attention: The Stealth tune won't even come close to passing a CA smog test, so that meant I'd either have to invest in a second ECM with stock settings or have Stealth reset mine, get the car smogged, then have it reflashed AGAIN.

Either way, I'll post a note as soon as I get my Superchip installed.

StealthV
02-28-06, 03:55 PM
My calibration passed a CA smog dyno test just fine during testing in 2005.

Handhelds are fine if all you want to do is raise the limiters, tweak fan speeds, tire sizes, etc. A better investment for just a little more money is tuning software to do all those things and more yourself of which EFILive is the best choice.

thefly
02-28-06, 04:02 PM
My calibration passed a CA smog dyno test just fine during testing in 2005.

Handhelds are fine if all you want to do is raise the limiters, tweak fan speeds, tire sizes, etc. A better investment for just a little more money is tuning software to do all those things and more yourself of which EFILive is the best choice.

stealth, my only problem with your current system, is taking the car in, you can't easily unload a tune. i have had handhelds and will agree when it comes to gas engine tunes they don't do much, sometimes they can have the opposite effect. also one big advantage you have is you are only tuning for the V. if you ever make a handheld let me know i would love to try one out...

though i suspect it will be a while before us LS2 guys get our tune...

StealthV
02-28-06, 04:24 PM
Handhelds are so 1990s. There are better things coming. People will soon forget the dream for a lame $400 box with a few pressure sensitive yes/no keys and an OBD2 cable coming out of it.

MescalVto
02-28-06, 04:32 PM
OK Rick,

I'll bite; . . as I have been waiting since last year when you hinted that you were working on a handheld type solution that should be ready in early 2006. Can you give us any more on what is coming when, and where do I sign up to be one of the first to try it out?
:worship:

StealthV
02-28-06, 05:10 PM
I believe I've already answered that question.

To get a spot in line, send an email.

Carnalsupply
03-01-06, 06:42 PM
Hey Stealth,
As I said in my original comment: "if I remember correctly". If you (Stealth) say it will pass CA smog then I'll gladly go with what you say. I'm not here to detract from your service or product, and in fact I believe I endorsed your program but with that single possible caveat.

OK, back to the point: I installed the Superchip last night and:
My seat of the A$$ dyno isn't nearly sensitive enough to detect any power change, though I must say the entire rev range of the engine is much smoother than before. Why? I haven't got a clue, I just know it is.
Would I spend the $$ on another Superchip? No, not with my current knowledge of what is available, and had I known of Stealth prior to getting the Superchip I would have gone their route.

Bottom line (IMHO) - Don't bother with the S'chip or any other brand as long as there are competent tuners who can do more. If the programs used by Stealth are anything like what I use with my Accel DFI, then the possibilities are nearly endless.