: 07 Escalade Vs Infiniti QX56

blingblingcv
02-28-06, 02:14 AM
The 07 still hasnt grown on me, I think the Infiniti truck is pretty nice any opinions or anything?

Synergetic
02-28-06, 04:15 AM
If you're trying to choose between the two. I would personally go with the Infiniti. However, like ive said in the past - I would still buy another 2002 Escalade. And I maybe will, if I look for another SUV.

fast66
02-28-06, 04:45 AM
I dont know about that infiniti, kinda looks like a hippo or rhino. I would rather get a toyota land cruiser, only cause I had one and loved it, and I miss it. Other than that stick with cadillac and get the new escalade!

The qx56 and armada make me sick when i see them. My family wanted to get the armada when I went back this christmas but I told them not to buy anything that ugly. Instead we got another trailblazer but xlt this time. I would rather be seen in a trailblazer or envoy than an armada or qx56 OR qx45.

hcvone
02-28-06, 08:25 AM
The problem with most of the Japanese based SUV/Trucks is they are not built very strong, and lack power, but they are getting better each year, and the QX although low in HP (315) has good torque. I personally would buy a Ford first, and I can tell you that is no happening. :)

PeteESC07
02-28-06, 09:10 AM
Well, I'm somewhat biased since I just recently bought a '07 Escalade but I did cross-shop other brands before my purchase. IMO, the Infiniti styling, esp from the side is just terrible--looks lke they welded the front and rear ends of 2 different vehicles. IMO, the Escalade just looks more classy and is a head-turner everywhere I go---I see other drivers literally straining their heads to look at my truck as they pass by. The new Escalade has a lot more power, better handling, smoother ride, and a much better interior than the Inifiniti--which has more cheaper plastics, inferior NAV system, and suspicious rattles and squeaks when I test drove it. No brainer for me.

caddycruiser
02-28-06, 12:16 PM
Well, I'm somewhat biased since I just recently bought a '07 Escalade but I did cross-shop other brands before my purchase. IMO, the Infiniti styling, esp from the side is just terrible--looks lke they welded the front and rear ends of 2 different vehicles. IMO, the Escalade just looks more classy and is a head-turner everywhere I go---I see other drivers literally straining their heads to look at my truck as they pass by. The new Escalade has a lot more power, better handling, smoother ride, and a much better interior than the Inifiniti--which has more cheaper plastics, inferior NAV system, and suspicious rattles and squeaks when I test drove it. No brainer for me.

That seems VERY accurate. I've yet to read a review that didn't comment on both the Armada and QX56 not feeling all that toughly built and having a cheap interior that is full of random squeaks and rattles.

Some owner boards seem to have a lot of satisfied owners without any problems and "noise free" trucks, but it's still a problem.

The QX56 does have a LOT more room than a regular Escalade, though, along with an actually usable and comfortable 3rd row that folds flat. That's one strong area.

white lade
02-28-06, 01:47 PM
Having owned both vehicles. I can tell you as far as features...the Qx56 is great. The interior is very large and nice looking. But thats it. As far as ride...it sucks. Thats why everything rattles inside. It takes bumps horribly. The Dvd player rattled from day 1 and I had it fixed 3 times and it still rattled. The brakes were horrible. They had to be replaced after 2300 miles. The escalade rides much better and I have 20 inch rims on it. Nothing rattles. So you be the judge. i dont think I would purchase another QX until I hear that they addressed all those issues.

caddycruiser
02-28-06, 01:53 PM
Having owned both vehicles. I can tell you as far as features...the Qx56 is great. The interior is very large and nice looking. But thats it. As far as ride...it sucks. Thats why everything rattles inside. It takes bumps horribly. The Dvd player rattled from day 1 and I had it fixed 3 times and it still rattled. The brakes were horrible. They had to be replaced after 2300 miles. The escalade rides much better and I have 20 inch rims on it. Nothing rattles. So you be the judge. i dont think I would purchase another QX until I hear that they addressed all those issues.

They have addressed the brakes, finally, according to what I've read (and it seems to be a real fix this time too), and the build quality, especially inside, seems to have gotten quite a bit better the later they were built.

What year Escalade do you have? If you have the short one, do you miss actually having a comfortable 3rd row that goes flat and cargo room at the same time, or was that not important to you?

white lade
02-28-06, 02:06 PM
I had a 2005 Qx56 which I traded for a 2005 Escalade because I couldn't deal with going to the dealer every other week to fix something. I now have a 2005 escalade and have not had any problems with the car so far. I do miss the third row seats not folding flat. I can't believe they didn't address that in the new escalades.

caddycruiser
02-28-06, 03:53 PM
I had a 2005 Qx56 which I traded for a 2005 Escalade because I couldn't deal with going to the dealer every other week to fix something. I now have a 2005 escalade and have not had any problems with the car so far. I do miss the third row seats not folding flat. I can't believe they didn't address that in the new escalades.

Yeah, the seating and space is still an issue. The ESV is huge and solves the room issue, but since they kept the solid rear axle and didn't figure out any better layout for the last seat, it's still not the best back there.

Cadillacboy
02-28-06, 04:53 PM
Infiniti QX 56 is the ugliest SUV I have ever seen , it looks gargoyle like to the front sode of the car . Why would buy and waste some money for it that's what I find it out of sense

Lord Cadillac
02-28-06, 06:11 PM
I actually like the QX56 very much. I took it for a test drive and it drove like a car. It's VERY quick! Mid 6's 0-60 - faster than most "quick" cars.. I thought it handled very well.. But I hear a LOT of complaints from owners... Personally, I'd stay away from the Infiniti QX56 and go with a new Escalade.. Now that the interior is just as nice as the Infiniti, if not better, there's really no reason to choose the QX56..

05 Cadillac Escalade
02-28-06, 06:50 PM
A close friend of mine has a white QX56 on 22" Giovanna Gello rims with part of the rims painted to match the truck. He had tv's and a computer installed which has internet access in the truck. He has cable installed and the interior on his truck is beautiful. Money wasn't really an issue and I asked why he bought the QX56 over the Escalade and he said the interior. The interior of the QX56 is a little more spacious, which I agree with, but the ride of that truck is horrible. He hasn't had any problems mechanically with it, but he says my Escalade has a nicer ride. With all that he did to the QX56, it looks real smooth. He had the stock grille switched out with billet inserts and also had the lower mesh grilles matched to the billet. All the chrome was painted white to match the truck and it looks tight. I will get some pictures from him and post them along with pictures of my Escalade. You can see what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Marc Kessler
02-28-06, 08:00 PM
The Infiniti QX56 and the Armada are both built in Canton, MS where they have had horrible quality control problems. I think they actually shut down the plant awhile ago to try to get their act together. Who knows if they improved?

mikeee
02-28-06, 08:21 PM
The problem with most of the Japanese based SUV/Trucks is they are not built very strongWhat?? Not one single domestic vehicle can compare to japanese quality. Forget the features and functions for a second, think reliability and parts quality, inside and out. No domestic vehicle has ever come close, and I doubt ever will.

If you need stats let me know, Ill be happy to find some, but google the topic. I'd take less power over having to take my ride to the dealer often, anyday. Power is the easiest upgrade on a vehicle.

THAT SAID, I cant stand the Infinity.

caddycruiser
02-28-06, 09:08 PM
The Infiniti QX56 and the Armada are both built in Canton, MS where they have had horrible quality control problems. I think they actually shut down the plant awhile ago to try to get their act together. Who knows if they improved?

Very, very true. All of the vehicles that Nissan builds in that plant came out as new designs for 2004, the Armada, Titan, QX56, and Quest, and ALL of them had moderate to serious quality problems the first year particularly. Actually, the Quest had so many known issues, that Nissan actually sent letters to people who owned '04 models that they were extending the bumper to bumper warranty from 3/36 to 5/60 on all of them because there were so many bugs.

That said, checking internet message boards, the general consensus is that '05 models of all of the Canon, MS are better than the '04s and now the '06s are still a bit better than the '05s.

I really like the styling of both the Armada and QX56 myself, as well as the power and interior room and adaptability (comfortable & fold flat 3rd row mainly, with cargo room behind). It's just that the overall level of quality feels and looks like something GM might have turned out in the mid 80's...bad fits, cheap materials, flimsy parts, etc. And because of that, most have quite a bit of nasty noises inside.

Consumer Reports, whether you believe them or not, actually rated the QX56 the WORST vehicle in their rankings, for both '04 and '05 I believe. I watched an episode of "Autoline Detroit" on Speed TV a couple months ago where they interviewed a CR guy, and when asked about Nissan and if they had really made noticeable changes after calling in the engineers to the plant, he said that they actually noted no real change in the level of problems or quality in the later vehicles, hence the still bad ratings.

All that said, the Escalade definately has the leg up in terms of build quality and refinement, but can't compete when it comes to true 7-passenger and cargo space in the regular short models which are the most commonly compared. Well, that, and the Caddy costs thousands more than the Infiniti when fully loaded.

shinyescalade
02-28-06, 09:17 PM
from what i've read, the qx56 has reliability problems and the way that hood terminates into the headlights is just nasty. go with the escalade - 2002 on up - you can't go wrong.

blingblingcv
02-28-06, 11:03 PM
wow, i didnt know how horrible the qx56 was until i posted this. I owned a 2001 qx4 a few yrs ago and it was a great truck. But the whole forum is sayin that the qx56 is not great quality.

Lord Cadillac
02-28-06, 11:42 PM
Unfortunately, the first year really gave the QX a bad name. They should have never let that truck into showrooms the way it was... I'm sure it's much improved now - but I'd still go with the Escalade.. The QX will be up for a redesign sooner than the Caddy...

integline
03-01-06, 03:03 AM
Go with the Cadi. I believe the Cadi to be the best luxo SUV out their hands down. The only other SUV's i would consider if 3rd row was not important would be Range Rover and maybe the Navi. i drove one afew months back and was actually kinda impressed. I dont konw about the infinity but sounds like trouble. Good luck. Get the cadi, u wont be disappointed!!

hcvone
03-01-06, 09:04 AM
What?? Not one single domestic vehicle can compare to japanese quality. Forget the features and functions for a second, think reliability and parts quality, inside and out. No domestic vehicle has ever come close, and I doubt ever will.

If you need stats let me know, Ill be happy to find some, but google the topic. I'd take less power over having to take my ride to the dealer often, anyday. Power is the easiest upgrade on a vehicle.

THAT SAID, I cant stand the Infinity.

No domestic vehicle has ever come close, and I doubt ever will.

That's not true, my last 5 C5 Corvette's, last 2 Grand Cherokee's and all 6 Suburban's NEVER went back to the dealer for any warranty or repair work, and my 03' Escalade was at the dealer once 4 days after I purchased it for a burnt ballast on the HID lighting. My M5 and Jag have been back to the dealer for warranty repair several times. :(

hornyjuan
03-01-06, 09:47 AM
It's sometimes luck when it comes to cars. Some people will never have any problems with their car, some will have their car in and out of the shops half of the year. Just take care of your car ie oil changes, trans flush, filter, differential fluid, brakes, ac, etc. and your car should be fine.

beemix
03-01-06, 11:10 AM
QX57 is one of most failure car on market. Escalade rocks :)

integline
03-01-06, 11:33 AM

That's not true, my last 5 C5 Corvette's, last 2 Grand Cherokee's and all 6 Suburban's NEVER went back to the dealer for any warranty or repair work, and my 03' Escalade was at the dealer once 4 days after I purchased it for a burnt ballast on the HID lighting. My M5 and Jag have been back to the dealer for warranty repair several times. :(
Very true. My dad's 745 seemed to be in the shop more than it seemed to be in our garage. It stalled twice on him at freeways speeds. When i say stall i mean the whole car shut down. power everythuin at like 80. Umm its not how muhc money u pay its the car. also they say cars built on mondays and Fridays are hte worst. so you can check production dates too.
good luck.

caddycruiser
03-01-06, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately, the first year really gave the QX a bad name. They should have never let that truck into showrooms the way it was... I'm sure it's much improved now - but I'd still go with the Escalade.. The QX will be up for a redesign sooner than the Caddy...

SO true. Based on the problems with undersized and rapid wearing brakes, loose and misfitting pieces, and rattles galore, the first model year versions were like 85% complete...almost a bit prototype like, as if they had really been rushed and skipped a few steps.

They've worked to fix most of the issues over the '05 and now '06 model years, but they still don't set all-time quality or refinement standards.

wow, i didnt know how horrible the qx56 was until i posted this. I owned a 2001 qx4 a few yrs ago and it was a great truck. But the whole forum is sayin that the qx56 is not great quality.

Strange, but true. If you actually look at all of the vehicles in the Inifiniti line or drive them, most all are amazing, and have terrific levels of refinment and quality. Unfortunately, for the QX56, it got styling the match the rest of the family, but they left out a lot of other stuff...like making sure all the pieces fit the pricetag, and the refinement was actually at luxury levels.

mikeee
03-01-06, 01:35 PM

That's not true, my last 5 C5 Corvette's, last 2 Grand Cherokee's and all 6 Suburban's NEVER went back to the dealer for any warranty or repair work, and my 03' Escalade was at the dealer once 4 days after I purchased it for a burnt ballast on the HID lighting. My M5 and Jag have been back to the dealer for warranty repair several times. :(You cant use personal experience as a wide statistic. Look it up man, domestic vehicles' records suck compared to foreign.

That said, I doubt all those cars never needed ANY repair, with that many cars I can only assume you owned them for too short a period of time, or.. your 300 years old. :)

hcvone
03-01-06, 05:30 PM
You cant use personal experience as a wide statistic. Look it up man, domestic vehicles' records suck compared to foreign.

That said, I doubt all those cars never needed ANY repair, with that many cars I can only assume you owned them for too short a period of time, or.. your 300 years old. :)

I guess I am lying? I said the cars and SUV's I listed never went back to the dealer for warranty repair, I have a shop that does all my oil changes and performance work, and personal experience is the only thing that matters to me. I am old but not yet 300, my SUV's are sold or traded when they have about 25k miles on them, my Corvette's go at 10k, and daily driver's go at about 25k as well. I have owned several Porsche's, a 550 Ferrari, several Mercedes and well as many BMW's, and as I said my cars and SUV's that were made in the USA was far more reliable, don't get me wrong my Euro cars never had any major problems, it just the little pain in the @ss problems. I own a lot cars, and have owned a lot of cars, just telling you my experience. :)

mikeee
03-01-06, 10:42 PM
I guess I am lying? I said the cars and SUV's I listed never went back to the dealer for warranty repair, I have a shop that does all my oil changes and performance work, and personal experience is the only thing that matters to me. I am old but not yet 300, my SUV's are sold or traded when they have about 25k miles on them, my Corvette's go at 10k, and daily driver's go at about 25k as well. I have owned several Porsche's, a 550 Ferrari, several Mercedes and well as many BMW's, and as I said my cars and SUV's that were made in the USA was far more reliable, don't get me wrong my Euro cars never had any major problems, it just the little pain in the @ss problems. I own a lot cars, and have owned a lot of cars, just telling you my experience. :)I never said you were lying, not even remotely close to understanding why you assume that. Anyway...

Like I said, I was talking about longevity. Of course a car with 25k will not have problems, not common at least. I dont know of a benz, chevy, kia or nissan that have issues at 25k. But I guarantee you, that the others will last WELL over 100k before they have to have major service, and the GM will be in and out of the shop. But hey, thats just what the facts are. I wish I had the resources to sell my cars at 25k and get another one fresh off the lot, but I dont, otherwise I would never ever complain about service.

Good choice in vehicles by the way :) , seems like you've had tons of nice cars.

hcvone
03-02-06, 07:53 AM
:) As I said I can only go by my experiences with cars made here vs. cars made in Europe that I have owned, I would agree that a 20k VW will probably outlast a 20k Chevy, but I know from owning many BMW's it will go to the shop a lot more for "stupid" little problems, as I said I never had a major problem, it's things like moldings coming loose, weatherstripping being torn, the type of things that you really don't want to take the car back for, but you have to, these are the type of pain in the @ss things that I do not have with my uSA cars and SUV's, and I hear this a lot from my Zaino customers with high end cars. :)

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 08:20 AM
:) As I said I can only go by my experiences with cars made here vs. cars made in Europe that I have owned, I would agree that a 20k VW will probably outlast a 20k Chevy, but I know from owning many BMW's it will go to the shop a lot more for "stupid" little problems, as I said I never had a major problem, it's things like moldings coming loose, weatherstripping being torn, the type of things that you really don't want to take the car back for, but you have to, these are the type of pain in the @ss things that I do not have with my uSA cars and SUV's, and I hear this a lot from my Zaino customers with high end cars. :)

So true, especially when it comes to electrical bugs in various European designs. Lots of little "stupid problems" seem to be the norm...and why marks like MB STILL are at the bottom of the barrel in reliability ratings.

I trully do believe that most Asian-based vehicles are still among the best when it comes to overall quality and lack of issues, but most European marks (MB really, BMW to some extent, and then all of the exotics like Ferrari and Maserati that tend to have so MANY issues, small and large, from day one, that it's easy to see why most people who own them don't drive them that much), have not set any records for reliability over the past many years.

For a long time, and still to some extent today, a lot of imports clearly had and have a much higher level of fit & finish, refinement, and perceptional quality, but the gap between domestics and imports in these categories is shrinking further and further everyday.

When we had our '02 Avalanche, it was the first vehicle we EVER had that didn't need to go in for any repair in the 2.5 years we had it, except for one time to replace a cracked mirror glass and a foglight that had condensation in it. Our '04 Suburban hasn't been as great, having been in about 4 times for warranty work now, and it did really start to bug me there for a while, but now that the various little first year of ownership bugs are straightened out, all seems well.

But getting back to what was actually being talked about, the QX56 is an example of a vehicle that DEFINATELY could have used another year at least of R & D testing and revision by Nissan...

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 08:27 AM
Here's a quote from a December story after the QX56 topped the worst cars of 2005 list:

According to the newest data from Consumer Reports, Nissan Motor's full-size Infiniti QX sport utility vehicle has the worst ratings possible for the reliability of its electrical system, brakes, body integrity, power equipment and body hardware. It is 300% less reliable than the average car, and a QX owner must feel the way an owner of an E.M.F. model felt: What's going to go wrong with my car today?

They have improved since intro, and there are a lot of people who have good '04 models, but the general consensus still seems to be that they aren't the best when it comes to top-notch quality.

But, checking into more owner reviews as of late, it looks like most owners are now VERY satisfied and a lot actually seem to be coming out of GM SUV's and into the Infiniti or Nissan...which they rate as a terrific improvement, and much better than their last truck. Here's a few quotes I took from Edmunds:

-"I have owned Yukon's, Jeeps, and the odd pickup and I can honestly say this QX56 is a winner. We looked at an Escalade and it was just an overexpensive Yukon with plastic wood glued onto the same Yukon stuff. Even the seats were the same...for 65K??? QX56 get one....you will be very happy."

-"Comming out from a Tahoe to a QX56 was a HUGE change. This drives like a lux car. I know we'll look to buy a small car to add to our addition for my husband. We're in love with the Infinities!"

-"My daily driver is a 04 Corvette Z06, however I look for reasons to drive the QX56!! I also have a 01 Denali, the QX is so much more of a comfort to drive. We love this truck!!!!"

-"A clear upgrade from our suburban. Great power, solid suspension, firm brakes."

-"After looking at the Lexus, Cadilac and GMC SUV trucks I ended the search at Infinity. It has been the best decision I have ever made, and I put 150,000 miles on my Chev suburban. The drive of the QX is quite, smooth and luxurious. I have not had any problems with the mechanics or finishes of the inside or out."

-"I am very impressed with the vehicle. The interior room and quality of meterials is excellent. Towing capacity very impressive, Exterior is very impressive. I've owned GMC Yukons and find that the Infiniti is superior."

-"My father owns a 2005 Escalade and by many features, including engine capabilities, my QX56 drives circles around his Caddy!"

So, it seems, after the widespread "teething" problems, they may have gotten it mostly worked out. I would like to see a comparison of a new '07 Escalade to the Infiniti, though...

92TripleBlack
10-20-06, 08:16 AM
The problem with most of the Japanese based SUV/Trucks is they are not built very strong, and lack power, but they are getting better each year, and the QX although low in HP (315) has good torque. I personally would buy a Ford first, and I can tell you that is no happening. :)

I have an Armada. And let me qualify this, I'm also a Corvette owner, in the local Corvette Club, just drove in the Car and Driver/Road and Track Cadillac challenge where you compare Cadillac vs. Lexus and BMW head to head for a mag review so I am not biased vs. Caddie.

Back to the job at hand. I strongly disagree with the above quote. TOYota and Lexus vehicles aren't very strong in terms of power. They will have a strong drivetrain out in the new one this year though. The Armada and QX have been bench tested vs. the Hemi continuously and they always come out with more power. Nissan has a policy of understating its numbers for insurance, which is nice. Typically, the Hemi is 10-15 lower HP and TQ at the rear wheels.

Next, HP is not what an SUV owner cares about. Obviously, the above poster doesn't know this. TQ is. TQ equals towing power and acceleration. HP equals top speed, which is governed and therefore doesn't matter. In terms of towing power, they tow 9000-9500, or the same as an F150, Dodge Hemi, and more than any GM that wasn't a Super Duty. This year, GM stepped up and upped the anti but prior years were the weakest next to the TOYs. Also, they current crop rating has been upped to 320 393 for the QX as they have introduced improvements this year. And the Fords are the slowest, not because they don't have power, but because they have a 4 speed trans. They are a full second or more behind the Nissan, QX, GMs, and Hemis.

Third, as for rattles, squeeks, repairs, etc. This is a thing of the past. The '04s, a first year vehicle, had its share. The '05s cleared up almost all, and the couple left were gone by '06. I have an '05 and the only repair I've had was to have the late year introduced '05 brake pads and rotors added to mine. Now they have the best brakes of the class and they will stop 60-0 as fast as a Honda Accord. Rattles, etc. are gone. The brake issue gave them a bad rep for reliablity because all the "agencies" looked at this as a repair and major problem, when it was just warping brake rotors. It was classified as a "drivetrain" problem. What a joke. Nissan stepped up and retrofitted all of them under warranty and extended the brake warranty to 3 years, unlimited miles. TOY also had this problem, but they didn't address it for 4 years and didn't cover under warranty. So much for TOY reliablity. The quality however is tops overall after you get out of the first 12 months of production.

And last, as for the ride, this was due to the junk tires Nissan put on. This is the only complaint I have about the stock SUVs. They put $50 tires on them. I swapped to 20" A/T Nitto Terra grapplers in 305-55-20. They are quieter, softer riding, handle better, better grip in all road conditions, wear longer, etc. and shouldn't beat them in any of these areas except off road traction. If you swap tires, you will have a totally new vehicle on your hands, but most don't do this nor do they experience this as they test drive ones with stock tires.

In comparing the two, the GM pre '07 was slower and clunky. I had grave doubts about their long term relability and they had their share of problems. The new ones may have overcomed this, but I'll have to drive one.
Acceleration under tests is within a couple 10ths 0-60 and about the same in the quarter. We are running 6.8-7.2 and high 14s. quarters. I'm a little slower with my Terra Grapplers and 4x4. :D A race would come down to drivers and individual machines. The interior on the new Caddies is nice. I like that more than the rest available. The room is small however. Dodge has the most room, but Nissan is a close second.

Don't forget, the Government has deemed the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade an Import due to the high amount of parts made outside the US and its assembly in Mexico. The QX/Titan/Armada, made in Mississippi, has more US made parts.

To sum it up, I would have a much tougher time trying to decide this time between GM and Nissan. I couldn't tell you what I'd buy. But from last year before, Nissan/Infiniti won hands down. I hope this helps. And BTW, the SRX was the best of the group in the C&D test. We compared it to the Lexus RX350 (junk) the CTS, and the BMW 530. It outdrove all 3 and I would say won overall. The CTS was the worst handling of the bunch, right there with the Lexus, but it had good acceleration, so it was tied with the BMW, which had nice handling but poor 2nd gear acceleration.

vaporkid8
10-20-06, 11:47 AM
the infiniti looks like a school bus

caddycruiser
10-20-06, 01:01 PM
92TripleBlack: Nice to hear from a REAL owner, and everything you said sounds resoundingly correct based on comments I've seen over the past few years. Basically, the '04 models really should have been pushed back a bit to work out the brake and build quality issues, but once they did, the '05s to current '07s are very nice.

Great power, great space, and a unique look that definately sets them apart. Still could use a significant upgrade to the overall quality of the interior materials, for instance, but that is already being done and will be seen in the '08.

92TripleBlack
10-20-06, 02:17 PM
the infiniti looks like a school bus

In some rural areas Tahoes and Suburbans ARE school buses. Well, only the yellow ones. ;) That said, the Infiniti styling is polarizing. I got the Armada because I preferred the styling and color. I don't care about wood interiors. I use mine at the beach as a tow vehicle and I installed real HIDs on mine for $225. HIDs, some wood trim, heated 2nd row seats, chrome rims, and smartcruise were the only options that weren't available on the Armada.

As for the materials, as you've said, next year they are changing the interior. Personally, I like it but others don't. I do like the new GM interiors. Last years and earlier were dated and not up to snuff. This year's stuff is really nice.

As for my vehicle, its a 4th vehicle for me and I like to keep my luxury interior in my G35 and use this as the workhorse for towing, ski trips, Home Depot runs, etc. She has her Jetta Turbo and I have my vette vert for weekend fun.

Last, supposedly next year they are going to add a diesel option for the Titan. This may also be available in the Armada and/or QX. No feedback on this yet. They are saying it should be a Cummins diesel.

Later, and thanks for being nice!:D

P.S. I saw the Consumer Reports data about the QX/Armada. The only good use of CR is to line a bird cage. They wrote that report last year based solely on '04 reports. They are the ones that call warping brake rotors a "driveline' problem, and they based their thoughts on the QX for '05 and '06 based on the '04 problems, not recognizing that the problems had been addressed. This year they said the worst was the Land Rover and the ratings for the Armada and QX jumped up. Go figure.:cookoo:

I like the Escalade's new styling. I like the fold down power 2nd row. I don't like the fact that the seats don't fold flat and the lack of 4 Lo, which I've needed several times on the Mada. Ex. Pulling trees upright knocked over by hurricanes.

One quick question. Why are the tow ratings so low? The new Silverado goes up to 10500 lbs, at least that's what the comercial says. But the highest rating on the Tahoe/Escalade is 8200 lbs, 8000 lbs for the Escalade. The Nissan/Infiniti/Ford/Lincoln/Dodge ratings are all 1000 lbs more. Thanks!

vertex117
10-20-06, 08:29 PM
I havean 06 escalade, and just recently looked at the QX56. Here is what i find (and remember, i am comparing 2006 to 2006:
What the Caddy has that the infiniti does not:
Nicer styling (i do like the QX56, but the lade is more "classy")
touchscreen GPS (this is nice)
a price tag that is 10K higher than the infiniti
more comfortable seats all around - more plush and roomy
a slightly smoother ride, and a few more BHP

What the Infiniti has that the escalade does not:
Bluetooth
Backup camera
in dash MP3
motorized tilt steering
more room between front and 2nd row
more cargo space with and without the 3rd row
fold down 3rd row (why the lade doesn't have this....i'll never know)
motorized rear hatch
interior matched cargo mat

there may be a few i am missing but that is what comes to mind.
I have never owned an infiniti, but i did have a 1991 nissan pathfinder, and i found their reliability to be great.
my 06 lade has been in the shop 4 times since i bought it in december, and my 05 CTS has been in 3 times since june of 05
i figure that about average, but yet there are people who have not had a visit to the dealer in 2-3 years of owning one

I think when it comes right down to it, you should look at my list above, or do your own list, and decide "what features are important to me"
once you clear up what you really want out of a truck, then i think the answers will come to you

SlimShady
10-20-06, 09:14 PM
I just joined because this thread is of interest. I have been test driving Escalades and QX56 and Armadas for about a month and it's a toss up.
There seems to be some real honest fair comparisons here. The ones where people are saying QX or Escalade is ugly, are useless comments.
The good ones are specs and from real owners that know these SUV's well.

The new Escalade looks good to me in black. But so does the QX56. I test drove both. Its a tough call. I like them equally and the Caddy is $12k more. Caddy definetely is the bling mobile of the two. Not sure I want the attention. But it looks just bad a$$ though.

So let's get to the real stuff. Which one wins:
0-60
1/4 mile
60-0
MPG
Interior volume or space

Any third row split power seats like the Ford Expedition has?
3rd row both fold flat?

Which one tows more. I got a 8,500lb boat. and tow a generator sometimes.

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.

caddycruiser
10-20-06, 09:43 PM
0-60
1/4 mile
60-0
MPG
Interior volume or space

3rd row both fold flat?

Ya, I know I could go search websites for this info but I figured if someone here knows, that'd be easier.

Performance wise, they should be very similar. Towing, the AWD Escalade is rated at 7700 lbs and the QX56 4wd is at 8900 lbs, so a pretty considerable difference there.

As far as the 3rd row, the Escalade (and GM's in general) and the QX56 could not be MORE different. Ford and MB are still the only ones to have added power assist to the folding of the 3rd row, BUT the Nissan/Infiniti are the next best. Not powerized, but a very large and comfortable seat for real adults that ALSO folds flat to the floor. Never has to be taken out or stored, and doesn't clutter up the floor.

The regular Escalade's 3rd row, on the contrary, is pretty much the only one on the market that a) has the cushion mounted right to the floor with very little of any legroom, and b) doesn't fold into the floor and has to be either flipped up or unlatched and removed. The longer ESV Escalade solves the legroom issue (floor is different, and there's actually a drop down well not present in short models for your feet), but still has to be flipped or removed.

I would think if you've been test driving these vehicles, especially given how expensive they are, you would already know this and more. The 3rd row isn't a big deal for some who never use it or the extra space on the fly, but to a lot of people it is. With the solid rear axle still used in the GM's, there's pretty much no space to create a flat/disappearing seat, and soon they'll be the only big SUV's with that issue.

Take this issue into account, along with the price and other features, as well as just which one "gets you" the most in person. Quality-wise, the current Escalade does have better materials and finishes, but there should be no difference whatsoever in the reliability between the two at this point.

SlimShady
10-21-06, 01:24 AM
Performance wise, they should be very similar. Towing, the AWD Escalade is rated at 7700 lbs and the QX56 4wd is at 8900 lbs, so a pretty considerable difference there.

As far as the 3rd row, the Escalade (and GM's in general) and the QX56 could not be MORE different. Ford and MB are still the only ones to have added power assist to the folding of the 3rd row, BUT the Nissan/Infiniti are the next best. Not powerized, but a very large and comfortable seat for real adults that ALSO folds flat to the floor. Never has to be taken out or stored, and doesn't clutter up the floor.

The regular Escalade's 3rd row, on the contrary, is pretty much the only one on the market that a) has the cushion mounted right to the floor with very little of any legroom, and b) doesn't fold into the floor and has to be either flipped up or unlatched and removed. The longer ESV Escalade solves the legroom issue (floor is different, and there's actually a drop down well not present in short models for your feet), but still has to be flipped or removed.

I would think if you've been test driving these vehicles, especially given how expensive they are, you would already know this and more. The 3rd row isn't a big deal for some who never use it or the extra space on the fly, but to a lot of people it is. With the solid rear axle still used in the GM's, there's pretty much no space to create a flat/disappearing seat, and soon they'll be the only big SUV's with that issue.

Take this issue into account, along with the price and other features, as well as just which one "gets you" the most in person. Quality-wise, the current Escalade does have better materials and finishes, but there should be no difference whatsoever in the reliability between the two at this point.
Thanks, that's good info. The 3rd row is what concerns me at this point. I test drove but didn't look to closely at the 3rd row. The 3rd row is important to me because I use it all the time. And when I don't use it, I haul stuff. So if the 3rd row doesnt fold flat, and is not that well thought out, that's be a problem for me.
Wasn't there a supercharged Escalade before? I'd be very interested in an OEM supercharged engine.

house
10-21-06, 02:41 AM
escalade hands down, its like twice the size

05 Cadillac Escalade
10-21-06, 09:06 AM

Agreed. I would get the Escalade because I would like to drive my vehicle and not have it sit in the shop, which is exactly what my friends QX56 does.

Thanks.

caddycruiser
10-21-06, 10:39 AM

Not true. The Armada/QX56 is considerably larger than the regular Escalade, and though not as long as an ESV/Suburban, still has a larger and more comfortable 3rd row with a lot of space behind it.

Agreed. I would get the Escalade because I would like to drive my vehicle and not have it sit in the shop, which is exactly what my friends QX56 does.

Thanks.

Good point from your perspective, EXCEPT that any of the issues he's had are probably due to it being an early model. Still not a good thing, but as evidenced by most real buyers, any of the common problems were dealt with and resolved by the 2nd model year and beyond. The impression you get from a real test drive and look speaks volumes, as I'm sure it does for a lot of people who have compared both of these vehicles--then draw your own conclusions from there and with what you like.

Thanks, that's good info. The 3rd row is what concerns me at this point. I test drove but didn't look to closely at the 3rd row. The 3rd row is important to me because I use it all the time. And when I don't use it, I haul stuff. So if the 3rd row doesnt fold flat, and is not that well thought out, that's be a problem for me.
Wasn't there a supercharged Escalade before? I'd be very interested in an OEM supercharged engine.

Sounds like you may have a partial answer then, unless you've tried out a longer Escalade ESV yet, and played with the 3rd row to see if the flip-up of the seat would be workable for you or not. There's also still the new '07 Navigator/Expedition that not only have been greatly enhanced, but offer both a powered 3rd row similar in operation to the Nissans but even better, as well as build quality and materials of a very high level. Worth at least going to look at and drive one, at least if it were my money.

And no, there never was a factory supercharged Escalade. A few aftermarket ones, yes, but no OEM. With 403 hp from the factory now, it's not really something people are even clamoring for yet. I have seen a couple '07s that have been supercharged though, but with an aftermarket kit(s) as before.

brick760
10-21-06, 11:52 AM
Interesting observations here. I too am comparing these 2 vehicles right now, and have test drove both several times. After having my LX470 for the last 6 years (150,000 seamless miles, not one problem) I have found that I need something new and fresh in the styling department. It's absolutely ridiculous IMHO that there is not a comparable SUV that even comes close the the LX in terms of smooth ride, luxurious interior, and down right untouchable reliability and value. Shame on Lexus for sitting on their asses for so long and letting this truly remarkable vehicle go stale and bland, and completely outdated in terms of features. Closest I have come to a luxury SUV is the Range Rover, and the wife aint hearing it. With an $ 85,000 plus price tag and a bad track record in reliability, she's not having it. However if it was going to be my vehicle, I'd still buy the RR today.

With that being said, the Caddy is nice. I am not impressed with the reliability issues to say the least, but it is a nice vehicle none the less. Interior luxury is the typical American wannabee quality. Feels good when new, but wears out very quickly. Seen many that are 2 to 3 years old and the interiors look terrible and worn out. The Q is probably the closest to the LX simply because it is Japanese, but the ride is a bit stiff and bumpy and the interior quality is not quite up to par. However, the price tag does reflect the lack of true quality, which I think is more than fair.

It's pretty hard at this point to make a decision. Wife is leaning towards the ESV, simply because of the room.

Sorry for the little amount of substance in this post, but just thought I would state my humble opinion on the absurdity of this ever so popular SUV market with so little to offer in terms of a "complete" vehicle. Really not sold on any of them. :banghead:

caddycruiser
10-21-06, 06:18 PM
Actually, the new '07 Escalades are in a completely different world than what it sounds like you thought of the older ones. They definately had cheaper construction, and for all intensive purposes, were well dressed Chevys in terms of their materials and basic structures.

The Infiniti still needs considerable work in terms of it's materials and such, and could also probably stand some more suspension modifications and body strength upgrades, but is still a nice ride. The new Escalade is definately more impressive in terms of finishes, materials, and the likes, though.

It is a shame there still isn't a new big Lexus, and true that a lot still can't match on that overall feeling of refinement and quality they have.

You could always go with another new Lexus, but having said that your wife liked the ESV, I really think you'd be happy with it. There have not been reliability problems, and the interiors are top notch (if maybe still a touch below a Lexus/MB/etc. in a few very minor areas), and they're just first class trucks.

The Infiniti still has the much nicer pricetag and much better packaging & space (at least compared to a short Escalade), though, so that's still something to consider--if you're already fine with the rest of it's package.

Something still mighty attractive about a new Lexus LX, however. They still come off as the rarer "king", even if they don't have the best space or latest and greatest toy.

SlimShady
10-21-06, 08:13 PM
I'm in a similar place as brick. My last SUV was a Landcruiser. I leased it for 4 years and had to return it. The LC was perfect in all respects except for size. Didn't like the double fold down seats for 3rd row.
I too am very disappointed that Lexus didn't take the Sequioa and beef up the engine and "upscale" it. But the new Escalade and QX are a class above this old outclassed Seq.
I'm also surprised that honda didn't seize the opportunity to "supersize" the Pilot. The pilot is another great quality SUV but too small and weak.

The new Suburban is starting to grow on me now. It's huge but not dorky looking like the Excursion.

I'm still trying to find some real world performance numbers for the Escalade. With that much hp and tq advantage over the QX, shouldn't it blow it away?

benamaster
10-21-06, 08:38 PM
I really like the new Escalade compared to the Infinity QX56 but the big thing that bothers me is the lack of "Intelligent Cruise Control" like the QX56 has. I can't believe that Cadillac dropped the ball on that option!

caddycruiser
10-21-06, 10:20 PM
Here's a good comparison for you guys, from one of the latest Car & Driver mags. Compared the '07 Navigator, '07 Escalade, '06 QX56, '07 Audi Q7, and the '07 MB GL450:

2007 Lincoln Navigator 4x4, 2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD, 2006 Infiniti QX56 4x4, 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro, 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 4MATIC, All the Latest Annoyances - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11506/2007-audi-q7-42-quattro-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-awd-vs-2006-infiniti-qx56-4x4-vs-2007-lincoln-navigator-4x4-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-gl450-4matic.html)

Synergetic
10-21-06, 10:29 PM
Too much grille on that navi!

fast66
10-21-06, 11:25 PM
Too much grille on that navi!

Agreed

xmanpro
10-22-06, 11:31 AM
I should have gotten that Benz!

Here's a good comparison for you guys, from one of the latest Car & Driver mags. Compared the '07 Navigator, '07 Escalade, '06 QX56, '07 Audi Q7, and the '07 MB GL450:

2007 Lincoln Navigator 4x4, 2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD, 2006 Infiniti QX56 4x4, 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro, 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 4MATIC, All the Latest Annoyances - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11506/2007-audi-q7-42-quattro-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-awd-vs-2006-infiniti-qx56-4x4-vs-2007-lincoln-navigator-4x4-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-gl450-4matic.html)

benamaster
10-22-06, 11:39 AM
I don't think anyone would ever regret getting the new 2007 Escalade. The Benz just doesn't turn heads like the Escalade.

AWF_AXIS
10-22-06, 11:54 AM
Too bad the benz looks like a RAV4. If it only looked good, it would be in my garage.

xmanpro
10-23-06, 12:07 AM
Yeah you guys are right, th Benz just does not look good at all...

mallettv
10-23-06, 12:08 AM
Buy American.....

hcvone
10-23-06, 07:56 AM
I have some regret when blowning an engine with 887 miles on it. :(

brick760
10-23-06, 04:23 PM
Dang! Ooops, someone forgot about blown engines and what not!:)

92TripleBlack
10-23-06, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=SlimShady;839827]

0-60
1/4 mile
60-0
MPG
Interior volume or space

3rd row both fold flat?

QUOTE]

0-60 = toss-up. We have someone with an intake, exhaust, and timing advance. (Under $600 in mods) doing 0-60 in 6.1 and the quarter in 14.8. Stock for stock, it would depend on your individual vehicle. Some are faster, some slower. On average, a stock Escalade is probably a tenth or two faster 0-60. and about the same in the quarter.

60-0 the Infiniti/Armada is the winner of the class hands down. It stops 60-0 in 135 feet, or as fast as a Honda Accord.

MPG, I don't know. Most Armada owners report in the 14s. Don't use Manufacturer's specs. They are a joke from all makers.

Interior space is again easily Armada territory.

No 3rd row power in Armada/infiniti but they do have power tailgate and all the seats fold flat. Escalade doesn't fold flat. Don't know why GM can't get that right.
Towing, Armada is 9000-9100 depending on trim. Caddie is 8000. Tahoe 8200. Take them for a test ride and see for yourself.

92TripleBlack
10-23-06, 06:04 PM
Actually, the QX is larger. I bolded the winner in each category.
QX
Length 206.9
Width 78.8
Height 78.7
Ground Clearance 10.8
Weight 5714
Wheelbase 123.2

Escalade
Length 202.5
Width 79.0
Height 74.7
Ground Clearance 9
Weight 5665
Wheelbase 116

You can see, length, Height, Wheelbase, weight, ground clearance, Armada/QX wins. It also has much larger cabin area and storage.

92TripleBlack
10-23-06, 06:08 PM
Buy American.....

The Escalade is considered an Import by the US Government. The majority of the parts are built outside the US and it is assembled outside as well. The QX is considered a domestic. Higher % of US parts and assembled in Mississippi. Just something to think about. Other notable cars considered "domestic" are Camry, Accord, and BMW X5. :thumbsup:

92TripleBlack
10-23-06, 06:09 PM
Dang! Ooops, someone forgot about blown engines and what not!:)

Who blew an engine? :eek:

brick760
10-23-06, 07:35 PM
HCVONE..See post # 55, and you can also read his other post where he talks about blowing a 07 Escalade engine with less than 800 miles on it.

92TripleBlack
10-23-06, 07:44 PM
HCVONE..See post # 55, and you can also read his other post where he talks about blowing a 07 Escalade engine with less than 800 miles on it.

That sucks. I'm still a GM fan and unless it is a common thing I'd chaulk it up to just plain being unlucky. :banghead:

We had one guy who had a trans problem, but only one. Again, unlucky. But no Nissan people on the boards have had any engine problems except the guy who dumped a gallon of mud into his intake while stuck in a mud puddle. :bigroll:

AWF_AXIS
10-23-06, 09:07 PM
When did Arlington Texas get annexed by Mexico? News to me...

benamaster
10-23-06, 11:50 PM
When did Arlington Texas get annexed by Mexico? News to me...

Last time I checked the Escalade and the Escalade ESV are built in Arlington, TX but the Escalade EXT is still built in Sialo, Mexico.

Synergetic
10-24-06, 02:05 AM
The Escalade is considered an Import by the US Government. The majority of the parts are built outside the US and it is assembled outside as well. The QX is considered a domestic. Higher % of US parts and assembled in Mississippi. Just something to think about. Other notable cars considered "domestic" are Camry, Accord, and BMW X5.

Like he said, a lot of the parts are manufactured outside the US, obviously. The final assembly takes place in Arlington, Texas.

HCVONE - How did you blow the engine in your new 07? I'm dieing to hear that story.

hcvone
10-24-06, 07:03 AM
Like he said, a lot of the parts are manufactured outside the US, obviously. The final assembly takes place in Arlington, Texas.

HCVONE - How did you blow the engine in your new 07? I'm dieing to hear that story.

Went to the garage Sunday morning Oct 15th and started the truck to go to a car show, a quarter second into starting it went KaBoom, they flatbedded the truck to the dealer the next day, called me to tell me that an intake valve broke and took out the piston, rod and bent the crank. They ordered a new crate engine that should be at the dealer today. I turned it over to my lawyer because with 887 miles on it I want a new truck, or I will be driving another brand. :) Not good at all. :( Never one hint of a problem before it blew up. :(

92TripleBlack
10-24-06, 08:38 PM
Last time I checked the Escalade and the Escalade ESV are built in Arlington, TX but the Escalade EXT is still built in Sialo, Mexico.

Ahhh. My bad. Guess that's what I get for going on articles instead of to the guys who know. But with the number of illegals in TX, its close enough. ;)

caddycruiser
10-24-06, 08:55 PM
Simply put, this thread is just on indication, but the "teething issues" severe or not, with early Armadas and QX56's seem to be a thing of the past. Most reviews seem to be glowing too, so aside from some subpar interior materials still, they're very legitimate competitors.

92TripleBlack
10-24-06, 10:18 PM
The only "subpar" materials I know of are the interior dash pieces that aren't wood. Still don't get that as a gripe as I have an Armada that doesn't have wood at all by choice. But the rest of the rig is good materials. No rust, steel box frame, etc. I think the "subpar" materials comes from TOYota/Lexus fans who relish their wood. Personally, I don't like those interiors, which remind me of old Jags that break daily. BTW, the same chuckleheads say the same thing about the Caddie. From the review at www.edmunds.com under cons, "a few cheap plastics." Give me a break. Give credit where credit is due. The interior on the caddie is just plain nice and blows away the Lexus which looks very dated and has wacky gauges. How long are the reviewers going to carry the LX430 on a couple pieces of 1/8" thick wood vs. motor, capacity, towing, speed, etc. :thepan:

caddycruiser
10-24-06, 10:36 PM
Well an Armada would certainly be equal to, say, our '04 Suburban as far as the innards are concerned, but I've played in a few each year at the auto show ('04, '05, '06), and a lot of the plastics and pieces still give off a cheap or flimsy aura. Love the look and space of the truck, but that's just me, and it really jumped out--not in the same caliber as other Nissans either. And they're not up to the latest GM's or Ford's in that regard either, but as said before, the '08s will fix the issue (just as was done with the revised '05+ Altimas).

Synergetic
10-24-06, 10:42 PM
Went to the garage Sunday morning Oct 15th and started the truck to go to a car show, a quarter second into starting it went KaBoom, they flatbedded the truck to the dealer the next day, called me to tell me that an intake valve broke and took out the piston, rod and bent the crank. They ordered a new crate engine that should be at the dealer today. I turned it over to my lawyer because with 887 miles on it I want a new truck, or I will be driving another brand. :) Not good at all. :( Never one hint of a problem before it blew up. :(

So its true. I didn't believe it, But wow. Let us know how the motor swap goes.

92TripleBlack
11-01-06, 06:51 AM
Armada wins "Total Value" award. A few people have gripped about the plastics. As was said, these will change next year. Nissan put the money in the drivetrain, which is where I'd rather have it anyway. However, they also kept the price down. Now we won this. Nice. :thumbsup:
http://www.ameinfo.com/98932.html

hcvone
11-01-06, 06:56 AM
Armada wins "Total Value" award. A few people have gripped about the plastics. As was said, these will change next year. Nissan put the money in the drivetrain, which is where I'd rather have it anyway. However, they also kept the price down. Now we won this. Nice. :thumbsup:
http://www.ameinfo.com/98932.html

I drove one, just needs more hp and torque, not bad though

SlimShady
01-09-07, 07:39 PM
I drove one, just needs more hp and torque, not bad though
So I'm confused. Isn't the QX56 faster than the Escalade? 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Or are the 2007's faster now.
I still think that these huge SUV's doing sub 7 sec 0-60 and 15 sec 1/4 mile is awesome. These 2 seem to be way ahead of all other SUV's out there.

AWF_AXIS
01-09-07, 08:36 PM
QX is 15.60 according to this source...

http://autos.yahoo.com/2006_infiniti_qx56_awd-performance/

The Caddy posted high 14's in one of the reviews, and mostly 15.0 times in others.

Dave

07slade
01-10-07, 01:54 PM
The QX56 Is Slower Than The Escalade, JMO The styling on the Qx is Horrid, now the FX....(drools all over keyboard) SWEET looking SUV/thing, The escalade Is the winner in my book in power looks and cool factor..

SlimShady
01-10-07, 02:12 PM
The QX56 Is Slower Than The Escalade, JMO The styling on the Qx is Horrid, now the FX....(drools all over keyboard) SWEET looking SUV/thing, The escalade Is the winner in my book in power looks and cool factor..

The only thing I hate on the QX is the front end. It's looks like the semitruck look Dodge that got flattened on top.
I think the Armada looks WAY better from the front.
But the Escalade this year is just a little too much bling bling for me. But I think it's the nicest looking SUV on the market today.
Contrary to what most of the negative styling issues people have with the QX, I think its great that Infiniti has curved and aggressive sheet metal. And didn't put a bunch of plastic all over it. Like the Expedition Eddie bauer.

Also the 2007 Tahoe and Yukon's took a backwards design step. IMO

Lord Cadillac
01-10-07, 04:27 PM
I like the front-end of the QX56 as well - but no more than the Escalade's.. The QX56 WAS the fastest full-size SUV until the new Escalade.. Now it's second.. Yes, these are QUICK trucks..

jabo75
01-10-07, 06:09 PM
The Nav system on the QX56 is so incredibly slow, it is the WORST system in a vehicle that I have ever used. Non touchscreen (ala Mercedes), and inputting info for a trip can literally take 4-5minutes for the dvd-based NAV to catch up. It cam be 15-20 seconds between letter presses when inputting street names! I still prefer the LX470's Nave system to the 07 Escalade, but the Escalades' is a close second.

yourgmsolutions
01-10-07, 08:22 PM
I still prefer the LX470's Nave system to the 07 Escalade, but the Escalades' is a close second.

agree. Pioneer or Alpine make nav radio for lexus. and those guys know what's up
who makes nav for Escalade....? i don't even want to go there

Z06CTSV
01-13-07, 01:31 PM
Escalade wins hands down. My wife has a Infiniti QX56. Engine wise no issues.

But they have other problems: body pieces falling off, brakes, brake rotors, under dash wiring falling on my wife's feet as she drives, air bag error message third time, not easy to work on, dead battery, eats tires, no auto locks? service in New Orleans not to great, been back for same thing several times.

Stick with the Caddy....

LLT
01-13-07, 01:40 PM
I've never understood the hype with Infiniti. At last check, they aren't much cheaper than Lexus and if I were considering a japanese luxury vehicle, I'd definitely go with Lexus (especially after driving the new LS.)

I can't say my cadillac has been problem-free, in fact, it's been a heap of junk... but GM is replacing it and I know it's the exception, not the rule. Every manufacturer churns out a few citrus-flavored vehicles.

I'd still choose it over the Infiniti. :)

benamaster
01-13-07, 02:22 PM
I think GM has the better dealer network and better looks. They're missing a few things but overall the Escalade is alot nicer than the QX56. I wonder if Infinity buys their problem vehicles back as easy?

Lord Cadillac
01-13-07, 03:02 PM
Escalade wins hands down. My wife has a Infiniti QX56. Engine wise no issues.

But they have other problems: body pieces falling off, brakes, brake rotors, under dash wiring falling on my wife's feet as she drives, air bag error message third time, not easy to work on, dead battery, eats tires, no auto locks? service in New Orleans not to great, been back for same thing several times.

Stick with the Caddy....

Is your Wife's QX56 a 2004?

cadymon
01-13-07, 11:01 PM
The 07 still hasnt grown on me, I think the Infiniti truck is pretty nice any opinions or anything?

i was like you but i had to stick with good old american V8:thumbsup:

c6am
01-16-07, 01:35 PM
I tested many SUV's before choosing the Escalade. I think, as others mentioned, that GM builds a strong truck. Mechanically, the engine and trans will last a couple 100k miles. Some of the other toys may brake but you should get stuck somewhere.

Plus, I like the room of the Escalade. My second choice was the Mercedes GL450. Really nice but pricey and lack of exterior style.

Of course, this is a generalization as there can be problems with an individual car from any manufacturer.

hdman1216
01-28-07, 06:57 PM
I have had my 07 AWD for about a month now. The 3rd row seats rattle, there is a loud clunking sound in the rear when hitting a bump and there is a flapping noise from the rear bumper when going over 40 MPH.
I traded a 2005 QX56 for the 07 Lade and wake up every morning wishing I had the QX back in the garage.
The dealer says that some sounds are unavoidable. That is pure and simple BS.

The QX56 is 5 times the car that this piece of junk is.
:ripped: :sbox: :wtf2:

LLT
01-28-07, 08:56 PM
Sorry you're so disappointed - I certainly understand; you don't want your $60,000 shaking, rattling and rolling.

For what it's worth, it may be in your interest to either find another dealer you're more comfortable with or at a minimum ask for a test drive with another mechanic and point out your concerns. Many conditions and symptoms are subjective... one tech may drive a Chevette himself and not be bothered by rattles. He didn't spend $60,000 on the vehicle though so his opinion on what you should live with doesn't matter to you. Another tech may realize just what a Cadillac should be and thus take your concern seriously. Either way, it shouldn't rattle - so insist that it be fixed. :)

cadymon
01-28-07, 11:53 PM
i had almost bought a infiniti qx56 until the new LADE came out and than it was no brainer. i must say Cady should of pay some attention torwards the steering cloum since ther are a nice gap around the key hole. they should have made some type of light that goes around that thing. can anyone fabricate a ring that might fit right in there. it would be nice if its silver or chrome...imo

hdman1216
01-29-07, 06:53 AM
Sorry you're so disappointed - I certainly understand; you don't want your $60,000 shaking, rattling and rolling.

For what it's worth, it may be in your interest to either find another dealer you're more comfortable with or at a minimum ask for a test drive with another mechanic and point out your concerns. Many conditions and symptoms are subjective... one tech may drive a Chevette himself and not be bothered by rattles. He didn't spend $60,000 on the vehicle though so his opinion on what you should live with doesn't matter to you. Another tech may realize just what a Cadillac should be and thus take your concern seriously. Either way, it shouldn't rattle - so insist that it be fixed. :)

LTT

I guess I am done venting now. Thanks for the kind words and I will get this resolved with either my dealer or another one.

Thanks,
Don

Falkolade
01-29-07, 12:15 PM
to me infiniti is an offbrand manufacturer... if i couldn't have a lade the only other suv i think is hot is the GL450...

MarkMatthews
01-29-07, 11:45 PM
I have both. I got an 04 Infinti and an 07 EXT. The Infiniti is a piece, the whole things rattles, had airbag problems, window problems, battery problems, and liftgate problems. I would definitely go with the caddy. But my caddy isnt perfect either. Ive had it for 2 weeks and its been in the shop twice. Once for the TPS and the other because the steering wheel controls dont work. And now Im having problems with wind noise. But other than that, I like it.

Lord Cadillac
01-30-07, 05:35 AM
The 04 Infiniti QX56 should have never made it to production. It was a lemon. 05 and on, they're excellent vehicles.. However, being luxury SUVs, they all have their quirks...

caddycruiser
01-30-07, 07:32 PM
The 04 Infiniti QX56 should have never made it to production. It was a lemon. 05 and on, they're excellent vehicles.. However, being luxury SUVs, they all have their quirks...

Agreed. A lot of '04 owners have had theirs fixed to okay levels, and aren't as prone to the brake or build issues as much anymore, but overall the first model year was NOT good and they are plagued with issues even with a few good ones out there by chance. Beyond that, most owners still love them, even more so '05 on, so there's still a lot to be liked. Things like the brakes were definite engineering and design oversights, but the build quality issues were due largely to a lot of problems that first model year run in the new factory--'04 Quest vans also have a bad reputation, to the extent that they got complimentary warranty extensions.

For '08, and the full-sizers though, hopefully the negativity over interior cheapness will fade away more, and other little refinements will still make them better.

1SICKLEX
02-15-07, 10:54 PM
I have to say the old and new Escalade is IMO, superior to the QX56. The new one is vastly superior.

Lord Cadillac
02-16-07, 02:45 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious - what makes you feel the outgoing Escalade is better than the QX56? To me, each have their qualities...

1SICKLEX
02-17-07, 12:00 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious - what makes you feel the outgoing Escalade is better than the QX56? To me, each have their qualities...
After driving both and playing with both the QX56 did feel peppier from an engine standpoint but I was really let down with the materials used considering this is a newer truck at the time. IMO, while the previous Slade interior was no class leader, it didn't feel blown away by the newer SUV.

The QX has been plagued with issues as much anything built out the Canton plant in MS. Thing have gotten better. I know the Escalade is a pretty well built vehicle.

To me, if your the new guy, you really have to bring your A game and knock the other guys out. The QX doesn't do that, it just seems like another choice. They revised the interior for 2008 and it barely looks better.

I was floored by the improvement Caddy made with the current Slade. No more exposed screws!! Interior looks and feels pretty good.

Lord Cadillac
02-17-07, 02:50 AM
The new Escalade, to me, is better than the new QX56 hands down. Especially the interior.. And now that power has changed hands, it's really a no brainer..

I thought the interior of the QX56 was much better than the outgoing Escalade - then again, it was a newer model...

escaWhat??
10-14-07, 03:34 PM
We have an 07 Qx56 and the thing is badass!! The thing is Quick, has tons of standard options and has the balls to back it up (4-LO anybody?). The Qx started in 04 and since then has made huge strides to address every problem- how was the escalade 4 yrs into production, or even now for that matter?? BTW good luck with your cadillac resale value.

wheelz36
01-21-10, 01:30 AM
I know this discussion is old but I just read it and want people to know not to ever buy a QX56. I bought an 05 with 29k and have had it for a year. Out of the 400 days I've owned it, its been in the shop for 150 combined days. Almost everything has failed; the 4 wheel drive has been repaired 3 times because of a bad dif, a bad valve body, then a bad transfer case. Countless things have gone wrong from the back up camera to the ABS malfunctioning causing complete loss of brakes on highway. I got it back after 5 weeks in the shop and it rolled down the driveway while in park. The entire ECU had to be replaced due to faulty wiring. Seriously, I could ramble on for hours. All I know is that this thing rides twice as rough as an f-350 and is the most unreliable thing I've ever purchased, ever. I don't care which year you buy because they're all terrible. If anyones considering buying one remember what I've said and do yourself a huge favor. Buy an escalade, I wish I did.

chip13
01-27-10, 08:35 PM
Don't go with the Infiniti!!! I just sold a 2004 Nissan Armada (same as the Infiniti) I owned since new and it was the worst SUV vehicle I've ever owned which includes a Suburban, Expedition, Explorer and Grand Cherokee. They are notorious for weak brakes which warp and send shudders through the steering wheel. I replaced 3 exhaust manifolds in 75k miles (there are only two on an engine) at $1900/ea. Body began rusting at 70k and I wash my cars at least weekly. Door lock mechanism needed replacement ($500). Oil cooler and power steering lines $1200. Front axle replaced at 60k for $2200. I don't abuse my vehicles but this one was a money pit. Many common problems. Search the Armada/Infiniti forums before you buy. I replaced it with a '04 Escalade and could not be happier.

concorso
01-31-10, 04:57 PM
My sisters Armada has been bullitproof, an 07 I think.