: fiber optics --> led

billsif
02-27-06, 10:07 PM
i need to replace the passenger side fender-mounted fiber optic turn signal / headlight / bright lights indicator on my '72 deville and was wondering about something. i bought the new housing but it didnt come with the fiber optic wires to make the indicator functional. i was thinking, fiber optics were fairly hi-tech for the 70s, so what about converting the fiber optic wires to electric led's ? i figured whatever is driving the fiber optic signaling would provide enough power to light up an energy-efficient led, and you can get them dirt cheap at radio shack in the same colors as the original indicator lights/bulbs. i havent even attempted to trace the wires that are still intact on the drivers side fender indicator thing.. does anyone else have experience with this or any interest in the idea? i think it would be really cool.

akimball442
02-27-06, 10:49 PM
Hi there. the fiber optics arent wires at all. They are, well fiber optics :) Basically they are like a long glass tube that sits behind the, say headlight. The light is transferred through the fiber optic to the colored lens on the fender. Its pretty neat how they work. And how well they work. If you've ever seen one of those fiber optic christmas trees with all the colors at the end of the branches, you'll notice they have only one light bulb in the bottom. same principle. hope this helps.

DaveSmed
02-28-06, 12:01 AM
Only thing with that is, it kinda defeats the purpose. Its to monitor the function of the lights, so when you notice the fiber optic indicator isnt blinking with your turnsignal (or headlights, etc) You know you need a bulb.

billsif
02-28-06, 11:28 AM
ahh i see.. that makes sense.
is there any way to repair them myself by purchasing fiber optic wire or whatever its called? i got a used indicator without the three "lights" and without the wires

DaveSmed
02-28-06, 04:10 PM
I'd give super glue a try. All it needs is to let light shine through it and out the other end. A laser pointer is a real good way to check in the daytime. If its too far gone to fix, you could pull the fiber optic "wires" out of another Cadillac, there ALL pretty much the same.