: Jasper Engines HEAT TAB

C170B
02-27-06, 09:56 PM
I have heard that engine rebuilders are trying to indentitfy customers who try to continue driving an overheated ALUMINUM engine.

Purportedly they place a HEAT TAB in rebuilt engine and if it is melted there is no warranty claim allowed on the engine.

Rebuilt N* is very expensive.

CAn anyone shed any light on subject? Where is tab located? What is it made of?

auroradude
02-27-06, 11:19 PM
Make sure you use a credit card if buying a $7200 engine from them then. That is absurd. That thing could probably get melted from 80k miles of use with coolant full all the time. How could they assume you ran without any coolant. Though people who do that are stupid.

Zorb750
02-28-06, 04:55 PM
If it's $7200 from them and you buy one, shoot yourself right now. A new one lists for $7600 from GM.

duecentoi
02-28-06, 10:49 PM
"That thing could probably get melted from 80k miles of use with coolant full all the time."

Actually, no it won't. I have used the warranty heat tabs on engines I have rebuilt when I had my shop and never saw missing the center on a motor that had not been melted down. They are a washer with a heat sensitive metal center, and can be purchaed through Pioneer. If the motor gets greviously overheated the solder like stuff melts and runs out. They are the best insurance you can get. I have had people come in with the plastic covers and fuel lines melted swear the car never got hot.

The heat tab tells no lies and they can't argue when the tag itself says that the warranty is void.

96-deville-man
03-01-06, 05:19 AM
"That thing could probably get melted from 80k miles of use with coolant full all the time."

Actually, no it won't. I have used the warranty heat tabs on engines I have rebuilt when I had my shop and never saw missing the center on a motor that had not been melted down. They are a washer with a heat sensitive metal center, and can be purchaed through Pioneer. If the motor gets greviously overheated the solder like stuff melts and runs out. They are the best insurance you can get. I have had people come in with the plastic covers and fuel lines melted swear the car never got hot.

The heat tab tells no lies and they can't argue when the tag itself says that the warranty is void.

But at what temp will they melt? 230 isnt uncommon in a northstar even higher can happen with out overheating.

Guy,mn.usa
03-01-06, 10:34 AM
Yes, engine builders use heat tabs. This protects the engine builder from idiots who install their own motor, then go out and cook the thing! When installing a motor, you oil prime it, flat tappet cams require a run in at 2000rpm to 2500 rpms then run up and down the rpm, rollar cams do not require breakin, when installing a new motor a must would be a new t-stat and coolent, breakin lube on all critcal parts which I'm sure Jasper does. After breakin changing the oil often like right away at breakin, 500miles and 1000mile after that regular changes.

duecentoi
03-01-06, 01:18 PM
But at what temp will they melt? 230 isnt uncommon in a northstar even higher can happen with out overheating.

I don't know what their melting temp is, but they aren't made of sealing wax. It takes a real overheating condition to get the center to melt. I have seen intact heat tabs quite near exhaust manifold, although I would advise a better location.

Guy,mn.usa
03-01-06, 01:32 PM
Heat tab is put in the center of a frost plug.

Zorb750
03-01-06, 11:47 PM
What if you have a head gasket fail on a car with no temp gauge, say, a 1994-1996 Deville Concours? I have a friend with one and I know as a fact he has no temperature readout anywhere. It's a digital dashboard. We added a temp readout by programming a different value into the configuration of the instrument cluster on his 1994, but 99% of them aren't done like that.

If that car were to overheat, the first indication would be the the thing going into limp, and probably a message to stop engine. The overheating in this case is a direct result of a failure in the engine. They would have no right to void a warranty for that. I'd be taking them to court.

Frost plug? That's the stupidest thing I've heard them called. Freeze plug you mean? That's stupid too but at least it's somewhat accepted terminology. The proper name is depending on the manual you read either soft plug or welsh plug.

Guy,mn.usa
03-02-06, 09:39 AM
Zorb....you must just fell off the wagon. Brass Frost plugs. Don't go parts ask for %^$$#$:thepan:

Zorb750
03-04-06, 04:27 PM
Zorb....you must just fell off the wagon. Brass Frost plugs. Don't go parts ask for %^$$#$:thepan:

And you must be very well acquainted with this.

http://www.bostonist.com/attachments/boston_katie/martini.jpg

fubar569
03-04-06, 05:38 PM
actually i love martinis