: Head Gaskets Again !?!?

El Dobro
02-27-06, 03:40 PM
Ok, the head gaskets were done under warranty at 65,000, now it looks like they've started up again at 110,000. The coolant is slowly going down about a quart in 1,000 miles. Has anyone here gone through this a second time? The shop manual says to check the head bolts to see if they're torqued correctly. The bolt holes were timeserted the first time. Can you get to the bolts without removing the cams?

zonie77
02-27-06, 03:54 PM
You can get to the head bolts without pulling the cams but the torque spec is in degrees of rotation, not ft/lbs. You could verify by going to some arbitrary spec, like 80 ft/lb to see if they are tight. Another option would be to pull them one at a time and install new ones. Then you could verify the torque is to spec. If you pull the old ones you cannot reuse them.

If you try the 80 ft lb technique and any are loose you'll need to pull them and see if there's metal on the threads.

Another possibility is a leaking heater core. Very hard to verify when they start to leak.

El Dobro
02-27-06, 04:23 PM
The tech that worked on the car at the Caddy dealer was a real winner. He broke the P/S pump pulley, ground cable, fuel line clips, left wires hanging, pinched the sparkplug cables with the engine cover, left the trans lines loose (nice ATF puddle in my driveway) , so who knows what else he did. I'm not getting any smells out of the HVAC system and I haven't found any puddles yet, so that's why I'm guessing the head gaskets again.

fubar569
02-27-06, 06:16 PM
and you didn't hit him several times with a blunt metal object? i would have! :thepan:

just for the trouble he caused i'd be elevating this through the ranks and if nothing was done, i'd burn his house down with his family inside...well not maybe that bad, but i can think of a few very annoying things i could do to him. i was very protective of the mustagn when i had it but i'm way worse with the caddy...

zonie77
02-27-06, 07:16 PM
All 20 holes should have been timeserted but given his workmanship who knows if he did that or not. Even if he did it did he do it right?

I know why you're wondering.

El Dobro
02-28-06, 11:09 AM
To top it off, the Caddy dealer that did the work went belly up last year.

Ranger
02-28-06, 12:44 PM
I recall someone at caddyinfo (Barry94 I think) doing it twice, but I think it was because he did not Timesert the first time. I'd prssure test each cylinder before retorquing the head bolts to confirm or rule out the head gaskets, then go from there.