: Ran out of Fuel, problem now.

Vegas V
02-27-06, 02:22 PM
Last Saturday I got to drive my V again, after replacing the diff, while I was on the interstate I noticed that I was low on fuel, so I got out of the freeway and pulled to the closest gas station, as I was pulling in, the car died, yes, it did ran out of fuel, I then put gas in it and drove away, well, since then the car is not running right, when I go to give it gas, it feels like someone is holding it from the back, like if it was starving for gas, my question is, what should I do, replace the fuel filter? or can I bleed the fuel line, taking in consideration that I have a maggie installed.

Jose

trukk
02-27-06, 04:38 PM
Don't the maggies use a boost-a-pump to get enough fuel for the new ammount of air going into the engine (I don't have a maggie)? Perhaps it burn't out or possibly blew a fuse when it was starved for fuel?

Something to check,

Chris

Vegas V
02-27-06, 05:04 PM
Don't the maggies use a boost-a-pump to get enough fuel for the new ammount of air going into the engine (I don't have a maggie)? Perhaps it burn't out or possibly blew a fuse when it was starved for fuel?

Something to check,

Chris
Thanks

I did check the fuse on the boost a pump and it checked fine, my gut feeling is that the fuel filter has something cought inside, does anybody knows what is the part number for the fuel filter on the V?

ctsvett
02-27-06, 05:19 PM
Typical V gas guage issue... there is a TSB on this:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/

Its becuase the V had 2 fuel tanks and they are not euqalizing properly.

Reed

heavymetals
02-27-06, 10:27 PM
If the "boost a pump" fuse blows you get no fuel pump operation.

Sounds like you sucked in the crap at the bottom of the tank.

It might clear up and dissolve after a couple of tanks of gas or sits overnight.

Got5onit
02-28-06, 12:45 AM
Clogged fuel filter?

Joey'sVee
02-28-06, 01:05 AM
Water in the new gas???? Just a guess.

Vegas V
02-28-06, 12:02 PM
Water in the new gas???? Just a guess.

Well, here is an update.

I went ahead a drove home after work, I stoped and top off the tank with good gas, when I got home a disconected the battery for 10 min. to reset the computer, after conecting the battery back on, I took the car for a test drive and it seems to be doing much better, I can give it some gas and it does respond like it's supposed to do, perhaps there was water in the gas like Joey said, I don't know, I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

Jose

StealthV
02-28-06, 01:14 PM
The fuel pump uses fuel to cool itself and running the level low/empty may have caused your fuel pump to overheat and degrade its pumping ability. A $30 fuel pressure gauge from the autoparts store would be cheap insurance to make sure the pressure is up. Going lean at full song from a hurt pump would be not good and definitely more expensive than $30.

verbs
02-28-06, 03:21 PM
I was just going to say there is definitely a chance you messed up your fuel pump by running out of gas.