: Ground control kit rocks!

wildwhl
02-27-06, 01:12 PM
Gents...don't hold anything against ground control.

I had to guess on a couple of things and got them wrong. The spring perch failure will NOT happen to any of you as long as your clips are in the factory position and painted in place. Furthermore, you'll get instructions (which GC would have gladly given me, but they didn't know I was going to install as quickly as I did). I could have saved myself some heartache by calling them first...but I'm a :alchi: builder...and just do it when the time permits.

I'll update you as the day goes on...NONE OF YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES - I PROMISE.

I did some more testing after a quick tack weld session on my clips last night...WOO HOO!!!!

WW

No Urby, the 3,000 post thing wasn't BS. From now on I'm going to just edit old posts!

UPDATE:

Just finished disassembling the front shocks and reassembling properly. I had failed to drive the factory bushing out of the upper control arm and turn it over. Doesn't make a huge difference but I can see why they have it this way as opposed to the way I guessed.

I still have a bit of a clunk in the back - but I don't think it is due to the kit. I'm reminded by old notes that I had this noise once before, but I can't seem to remember what it was. Car sits exactly how I want it too, and rides exactly how it should IMHO. I have the GSD3's on in 245/275 mode and of course, it is raining like crazy with snow forecast. Further testing last night showed the rates are, IMHO, close to spot on. READ - NEUTRAL with maybe a slight bias towards oversteer (very slight). That might be the Hots bars, and it might be the lead right foot.

The quality of the components is obviously first rate. The tech support is :worship:

There are going to be a lot of V (and CTS?) owners that are happy as all get out with this kit.

Final word at this point.

Is it better than grooving your front shocks and cutting your rear springs? YES! You still need to mod the rear shocks with spacers, and I'm unclear what GC has in the works for this yet. Besides, you can adjust it to ANY height you want...and go much, much lower should you desire (but I wouldn't).

Enjoy :highfive:

urbanski
02-27-06, 01:33 PM
so that 3K post thing was bs eh :p

trukk
02-27-06, 03:40 PM
so that 3K post thing was bs eh :p

LOL, see magic 8-Ball is never wrong.

-Chris

BowenCT
02-27-06, 07:21 PM
WW,

Appx. what type of labor, time-wise, will a shop be looking at to do this install?

Thanks.

Dreamin
02-27-06, 07:35 PM
Further testing last night showed the rates are, IMHO, close to spot on. READ - NEUTRAL with maybe a slight bias towards oversteer (very slight). That might be the Hots bars, and it might be the lead right foot.

That sounds about right... the FG2's are probably valued toward a hair more oversteer and the bars are too.

(P.S. Quit screwing around, updating the same post doesn't bump the thread to the top :rant2: )

DILLIGAF
02-27-06, 08:42 PM
So,are we getting close to being able to order these kits?It sure would be nice to do the bars and coil overs at the same time.

wildwhl
02-27-06, 09:31 PM
My assumption is a shop will want about 4 hours labor. You CAN do it yourself, you know. Really not a tough install.

I also believe GC is darn close to release. No real rework necessary on their part. My understanding is they may upgrade the inner sleeve to steel (seems like a good idea). Speaking with them today they mentioned that these beta parts are hand cut - and the production pieces will be slightly different (read safer).

Now, I could post in a different thread, but my thread so I'll jack it.

Diff #3 is spewing fluid out the front seal, howling like a biatch, and chattering big time. The GC kit will have to come off before she goes to the dealer :nono: I bet they're going to argue this one...since it will be the 4th differential (I'm at <21,000 miles).

:horse:

WW

DILLIGAF
02-27-06, 09:36 PM
Rear leakage=bummer,good luck on the diff at the dealer,and thanks for the bloody nuckles on the gc kit.

wildwhl
02-27-06, 09:37 PM
Zero bloody knuckles. Easy install, really.

I just realized something.

The GC kit makes the V feel like a 3,200 lb go cart. It handles that good. Feels like she just went on a diet, and yet the ride isn't compromised...interesting.

DeputyDog
02-27-06, 10:03 PM
WW

When you spoke to GC today, did they happen to mention anything about what they were going to do for rear spacers?

calicadi
02-27-06, 10:17 PM
OK stupid question time... what does "painted in place" mean?

Also, you think the kit will include the spacers for the rear?

PS Sorry 'bout your ride. That could'a been me! Thanks for all your work, time, trouble, etc. on this. You're a good man, WW!

wildwhl
02-27-06, 11:33 PM
The factory shocks are machined, assembled with the lower clip, and then painted. This shouldn't really make a difference, but in reality it does. The paint sort of glues the clips in their position.

It is quite possible that I simply didn't seat the GC pieces properly on my first install.

Calicadi - not sure what they're doing for the shocks. I heard a rumor that something machined was in the works :shhh:

wildwhl
03-01-06, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to give a further update.

If you're on the fence about this kit - get off. Call GC. I know they aren't ready yet - but get in line :D

WW

dannystang
03-01-06, 03:43 PM
Ground Control KIT Group buy anyone?

Florian
03-01-06, 06:08 PM
im in...

f

alcast082
03-01-06, 06:18 PM
:thumbsup:

Geno
03-01-06, 06:45 PM
I called GC yesterday to see if they were taking advance orders, even offered money to hold a position. I was told they weren't taking any orders and that when the kit is fully ready and stocked that is when the would accept orders.

They did say they shouldn't have any problems filling the orders....we'll see. There seems to be a lot of interest.

Timing is everything. I posted early on that I wanted to purchase the HotK sway bars. Unfortunately by the time I was informed that the group buy started, I called and was in the second order group (4 to 6 week wait).

I hope the GC purchase won't be a repeat. I still don't understand why they are not taking advance orders?:confused:

DILLIGAF
03-01-06, 09:31 PM
I called GC yesterday to see if they were taking advance orders, even offered money to hold a position. I was told they weren't taking any orders and that when the kit is fully ready and stocked that is when the would accept orders.

They did say they shouldn't have any problems filling the orders....we'll see. There seems to be a lot of interest.

Timing is everything. I posted early on that I wanted to purchase the HotK sway bars. Unfortunately by the time I was informed that the group buy started, I called and was in the second order group (4 to 6 week wait).

I hope the GC purchase won't be a repeat. I still don't understand why they are not taking advance orders?:confused:Could you post a phone number for GC so we can start bothering them on a daily basis.Please

Geno
03-02-06, 07:49 AM
OK here's the deal. I give the telephone number if you PM me when the kit is ready. Yah, right!:bigroll:

530-677-8600