: Just bought my first Escalade!!! A couple questions...for now

tc3
02-27-06, 12:12 AM
Just got a blk 02, with a couple mods already...22's and a grill.
Absolutely Love it so far. Wasn't sure about how a Chev truck would feel, And it's nothing like a Chev truck!! I guess I was under the assumption after owning 3 BMW cars last, it'd ride closer to my 500HP convertible mustang, which rides like a logging truck!!!

Anyways, I going to start moding right away with the stereo, alarm/starter, screens and dvd, something I did professionaly while going to school, So I should be good there.
I've been following this forum for a while picking up info, Great forum by the way!! So I'll try not to ask to many questions without searching first.
First questions, for now...
I'd like to do an HID upgrade first. I've read a ton of threads on this topic..so I'm trying to determine if I should do a factory 03+ swap or go Philips aftermarket.
1:If I go aftermarket, Do I have to worry about changing the 02 lense(glass)?
2Do I have to worry about the reflector part in the lense?
3Do Escalade HIDs self level?

From what I've gathered, esp from 'hcvone' Philips is the way to go. But after all this time. After prices have changed so much, Whats the most cost effective and smartest way to go?

Thx for any info u can share and have already shared with me too!!!:thumbsup:

Even if some think it's an over glorified chev truck..I'm driving and lovn the Escalade:worship:
TC

mikeee
02-27-06, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the forums, Cant help ya on the HID's but I know several people here who have done it, so surely you will get some responses. Congrats on the new ride!

hornyjuan
02-27-06, 01:01 AM
Factory '03 swap will be expensive unless you can find a good deal on some headlights. I'm sure GM charges at least $1500.

1. Do not need to worry about changing the lense. Just polish the lense every few months to avoid hazing.

2. Do not need to worry about the reflector part of the lens. In fact, that's what keeps the light from scattering and spewing into on-coming traffic and all over the place. A focused beam pattern is much better than scattered.

3. Escalade HID's do not self-level.

Phillips and McCulloch make the best aftermarket HID kits for the Escalade. 9006 is your bulb pattern. The '03 Escalade look is somewhere between 4200k-5000k. If you want a bluer look go with 6000k+. IMO 5000k is the best compromise between functionality and appearance. I have an '02 went with 5000k then 8000k then 6000k and back to 5000k.

integline
02-27-06, 10:25 PM
call junkyards and see if you can find an esky that has been totaled. lots can do nation wide searches and so that would be your best if you want to keep that stock look

fast66
02-27-06, 10:51 PM
call junkyards and see if you can find an esky that has been totaled. lots can do nation wide searches and so that would be your best if you want to keep that stock look

they can search nationwide? Anyway to do this from my computer? I would love to get some interior parts of a 02 ext. Thanks

tc3
02-27-06, 11:34 PM
Some good advice..thx
I think I'll go 5000k if I go aftermarket.
But do the proper reflectors come in the 02 stock headlight??
And a quick question...are the lense made from glass or plastic, and r they the same on all years??

thx

fast66
02-28-06, 02:05 AM
Some good advice..thx
I think I'll go 5000k if I go aftermarket.
But do the proper reflectors come in the 02 stock headlight??
And a quick question...are the lense made from glass or plastic, and r they the same on all years??

thx

the best would be 5000

The reflectors that come with your stock headlight are good enough, I had hid on my 02 and it lit the road perfectly.

I think the lense infront of the bulb is made out of plastic because it scratches easily.

tc3
02-28-06, 03:23 AM
Thx
I'd check closer myself, But it's been -10 C or lower since I got it.
And I haven't had to spend much time to check her out!!

fast66
02-28-06, 03:45 AM
Thx
I'd check closer myself, But it's been -10 C or lower since I got it.
And I haven't had to spend much time to check her out!!

that sux!

I used to live in michigan and it was just the same. I hate snow

05 Cadillac Escalade
02-28-06, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new 2003 Escalade. It's nice to hear that you are enjoying it. Post some pictures when you get a chance so we can check it out. :welcome:

Thanks.

tc3
02-28-06, 08:21 PM
I will def post some pics, But I'll have to wait for it to stop snowing:bigroll:

tc3
03-03-06, 04:45 AM
OK,
There have been alot of HID headlights on Ebay, most of them are broken and for parts.
My question is....are the 02 and 03+ headlights exactly the same in every shape, fit, bulb (exc the HID bulb)??
Would I be able to mix a 03+ parts in with my 02 headlight and construct a OEM HID headlight??
Does anyone have a wiring scheme too? I'm sure I could fiqure out how to power them, but I'd like to keep the wiring as OEM looking as possible!
Thx

tc3
03-03-06, 11:39 PM
Anyone?!?

fast66
03-04-06, 07:51 PM
OK,
There have been alot of HID headlights on Ebay, most of them are broken and for parts.
My question is....are the 02 and 03+ headlights exactly the same in every shape, fit, bulb (exc the HID bulb)??
Thx

they are the same shape, 03-06 will fit in the 02 but you will have to do some special wiring to make the HID's work. Better off using ur 02 headlights and buying a phillips hid kit.

This question has been asked a lot, by me also, try searching the forums and you can get more info.

tc3
03-04-06, 11:32 PM
Thx
I searched older threads on this topic. I seems at the time, getting OEM headlights off Ebay was too expensive. It seems now, that u can get them cheap now. Esp if u can find functioning ones with just a cracked lense.

fast66
03-05-06, 02:42 AM
Thx
I searched older threads on this topic. I seems at the time, getting OEM headlights off Ebay was too expensive. It seems now, that u can get them cheap now. Esp if u can find functioning ones with just a cracked lense.

yeah i just bought a pair yesterday from that scooby doo seller on ebay for $140, only prob is they are fogging up. But Im going to be changing the corner lenses to clear so i can easily remove the fogging at the same time.

tc3
03-06-06, 11:48 PM
Did u get HID ones?
If so, Let me know how ur swap goes.