: Damn Rug Rats!!!

crowan
02-26-06, 06:24 PM
I had to drive from Washington, DC to Delaware this morning and all was quiet when I pulled the V onto Connecticut Avenue. Then I saw the rear end of a Dodge Charger about a block ahead of me. As I got closer, I realized that it was a silver SRT-8 with Virginia tags. Two blocks later, a red-light brought us side by side, with no traffec ahead of us. I really hate street racing, but when fate deals you a hand like that, you have to represent the V Nation.

I looked over at the Charger and the driver turned to me at the same time. We both did the :thumbsup: and cracked-up laughing because it was such a perfect situation. Then, he pointed to the back seat where I saw his young daughter strapped in her car seat. There would be no drag race. :banghead:

However, we ran together to the Capital Beltway on-ramp where he decided to open things up with some high speed runs. Traffic was too heavy for any side by side action so, for the next ten miles on I-495 and I-95, we did a series of high speed drive-bys, trading spots as we went. That car is STOUT when it is going from a roll.

It was the first SRT-8 Charger that I have seen in person. The hood scoop that I hate in photos actually looked good in person, and it is an impressive sight when you see it coming up in your rear view mirror at 100+mph!

He reached his exit and the fun was over. But, it was a great way to start a sleepy Sunday morning drive. Nice guy, great car, screaming motors. If only the rug rat had been left at home.....:stirpot:

lawfive
02-26-06, 06:34 PM
Kid in car = standing start bad, but 100+ freeway traffic good??? :hmm:

crowan
02-26-06, 06:51 PM
I was astonished myself. He drove it like a Prius when we were on the surface streets but got pumped up on the highway. We weren't getting too crazy though. Just enough to show what the car can do. No side by side runs.

CR

04CTSVFLA
02-26-06, 06:52 PM
lol thats what i was thinking

lawfive
02-26-06, 07:27 PM
Occasionally I'll get on it from a stop light, or on a freeway on-ramp (one local uphill one in particular), when my 15 year-old is in the car. He digs it. But I'd never do 100+ with a kid in the car like the Charger guy.

Anyways, glad you had fun with the MerKryslerMopar-mobile. Any straight line go with an SRT-8 heavy is gonna be too close to call.

thefly
02-27-06, 10:04 AM
Occasionally I'll get on it from a stop light, or on a freeway on-ramp (one local uphill one in particular), when my 15 year-old is in the car. He digs it. But I'd never do 100+ with a kid in the car like the Charger guy.

have to agree with you. a couple of things come to mind, a wreck (car seats were never designed for 100+, even 70 would scare me. second i imagine a cop might get a little upset if he caught you. lets not even imagine if you got arrested. i know you didn't have your kid, but i might not have encouraged him once you saw the kid in the car. sorry to rant, but having a 2 1/2 year old i would be pissed if my wife did a 100+ with her in the car...

crypto_coyle79
02-27-06, 11:57 AM
I don't think what the guy did was that wrong. Sunday morn. is about the best time to drive on the beltway and 70+mph is common even by little old ladies and it is a wide open 3-5 lane highway and lets not forget that 160km(about 100mph) is not that rare of a speed in europe and there kids have a nack for making it to adult hood. I will never understand why most american love power but are afraid of speed. Here in VA people have been GETTING 60 days in jail and $1000+ fines for anything over 90mph on the fricking freeway. yet a DWI you can avoid jail the first time and sometimes the 2nd.

cguthrie
02-27-06, 12:18 PM
In Crowans defense, normal everyday traffic runs @80mph on that part of the Beltway in MD, so at most he may have gone more than 20MPH faster than the flow of traffic.

Now that spring is coming, get ready for the guys from DC with the race bikes, especially on their MAD MAX high speed runs on 50!

I was going @80 last summer, just driving with the flow in one of the middle lanes and a lunatic passed me doing a stand up wheelie. The wife was not impressed.

Welcome to DC, where the biggest danger is someone actually doing the speed limit.

CG

crypto_coyle79
02-27-06, 01:08 PM
In Crowans defense, normal everyday traffic runs @80mph on that part of the Beltway in MD, so at most he may have gone more than 20MPH faster than the flow of traffic.

Now that spring is coming, get ready for the guys from DC with the race bikes, especially on their MAD MAX high speed runs on 50!

I was going @80 last summer, just driving with the flow in one of the middle lanes and a lunatic passed me doing a stand up wheelie. The wife was not impressed.

Welcome to DC, where the biggest danger is someone actually doing the speed limit.

CG

amen!