: WWWD: What Would Wildwhl Do?

lawfive
02-26-06, 04:28 PM
Everybody, I need your opinions to help me think through an issue.

When I bought my V I also purchased a GM Major Guard Protection Plan warranty extension to six years, 100,000 miles. This seemed to be a smart move because of the problems I had read about here, and because I expected to put a lot of miles on my car (daily driver). I have over 26,000 miles on it after 1.5 years, so at this rate I expect to hit 50,000 miles at around three years of ownership. So my warranty add-on will in theory buy me approximately another three years of major coverage.

Then I added a dealer-installed supercharger, and in exchange for paying the dealer to do it they promised to honor warranty claims (and they have!). But when the original warranty runs out and Major Guard kicks in, my expectation is that my dealer will no longer be able to honor most powertrain claims because the Major Guard warranty guys are much more adamant about inspecting the vehicle prior to paying. ("What's this shiny thing on top of the engine?? DISALLOWED!!") Given that, I'll probably get a stroker at 50K miles. And, I'll probably quickly buy the first good rear-end & half-shaft solution that comes along.

My dilemma is this: keep the Major Guard coverage and have everything else in the car covered until 2010, or cancel it and get my money back now. What I do will depend on what covered items OTHER THAN the engine, transmission, drive shaft, differential, and half-shafts will probably fail during that time (e.g. I've already had the nav replaced once).

That's where you can help. Tell me: what stuff has died on your V besides the powertrain?

wildwhl
02-26-06, 04:34 PM
L5 -

It would help to know what kind of $$$ comes back upon cancellation. I think we can all expect some strange nuisance items to pop up - but hopefully they won't be too terribly expensive. The drivetrain is the major issue, and as you stated likely won't be covered anyway.

What would I do? Probably drop the stroker in now and see if you can set a new record in RWHP with the stock diff...but that's just me.

That's WWWD

heavymetals
02-26-06, 04:35 PM
Nothing more then what you mention has died on me, but I sure killed a lot more! :mad:

If your easy on the diff then you probably don't need Major Guard.
If your not and the dealer/service is gonna honor it then the MJ is worth it.

How long do you want to wait before you mod it again?

Sounds like your ready now.

There is plenty of room in MOD HELL.:highfive:

thebigjimsho
02-26-06, 04:50 PM
I've got a similar dilemma. I've paid for full coverage on my cars since the day my butt graced the driver seat of my cars. And since I'm such a kick ass driver, I've never been in an accident that was my fault. I look at all the years of spending all that extra cash, it would pay for any damage I could incur on a vegicle. Plus, all the tickets I didn't fight when I was younger make me pay more than the typical crappy driver so why let those jerkoffs fleece their own pockets on my account?

In 16 full years, I've driven well over 900k miles. I figure by the summer of '07, I'll hit 1 million miles. 1 million mistake-free miles. Let those wankers starve!

urbanski
02-26-06, 04:55 PM
cancel it
they may void your nav due to Maggie for all you know...

CVP33
02-26-06, 05:29 PM
I vote to keep it. There are many components that could still fail and cost you out of pocket expense that would not be affected by the aftermarket S/C. Such as: leaking radiator, peeling navigation system, peeling sunvisors, detaching sail panels, ABS system, AC system. I'd keep the insurance if I were you.

urbanski
02-26-06, 05:33 PM
i think the title should be WWWWD
you?

wildwhl
02-26-06, 05:46 PM
The simple answer is this.

WW would do CVP :kick:

rand49er
02-26-06, 06:14 PM
I've got a similar dilemma. I've paid for full coverage on my cars since the day my butt graced the driver seat of my cars. And since I'm such a kick ass driver, I've never been in an accident that was my fault. I look at all the years of spending all that extra cash, it would pay for any damage I could incur on a vegicle. Plus, all the tickets I didn't fight when I was younger make me pay more than the typical crappy driver so why let those jerkoffs fleece their own pockets on my account?

In 16 full years, I've driven well over 900k miles. I figure by the summer of '07, I'll hit 1 million miles. 1 million mistake-free miles. Let those wankers starve! :yeah:

Dreamin
02-26-06, 06:34 PM
I vote to keep it. There are many components that could still fail and cost you out of pocket expense that would not be affected by the aftermarket S/C. Such as: leaking radiator, peeling navigation system, peeling sunvisors, detaching sail panels, ABS system, AC system. I'd keep the insurance if I were you.

:yeah:

...traction control, airbags, window motors, door locks, window air leaks, suspension issues...

wildwhl
02-26-06, 06:37 PM
suspension issues....ha ha...he said suspension issues...now THAT's FUNNY!

OK - I agree. Keep it.

Kevlar/carbon wrapped reinforced suspension blocks curing at the moment. Doubt they'll warranty mine :D

WW

Dreamin
02-26-06, 06:39 PM
suspension issues....ha ha...he said suspension issues...now THAT's FUNNY!

:D :D

lawfive
02-26-06, 06:43 PM

:yeah:

...traction control, airbags, window motors, door locks, window air leaks, suspension issues...

Yeah, good points...

L5 -

It would help to know what kind of $$$ comes back upon cancellation.

About 1/4 of a stroker...

What would I do? Probably drop the stroker in now and see if you can set a new record in RWHP with the stock diff...but that's just me.

That's WWWD

Thanks Bill. Now... what would Brian Boitano do?

10secvette
02-26-06, 07:16 PM

I agree with CVP. I would add besides the usual crap listed above.... All the computer crap that fails on G.M. cars after a few years. Consider the digital hvac control unit and things like that. For what the warranty cost you and the miles you may put on the car, I would keep it. If I keep the V, I'm buying the extended warranty for the little b.s. g.m. quality control issues/items.

ctsvett
02-26-06, 09:09 PM
I had the extended on my impala SS and it paid for itself in one year (window motor, HVAC, and EGR valve).. everything after that (and there was some stuff) was butter...

I vote keep it. These cars are not simple to fix and some components are not cheap (headlights= $1000)...

I hav enot purchased the majorguard yet (dont have to until the factory warranty runs out), but I will probably buy it.

Reed

Dennisscars
02-26-06, 10:00 PM
If we all had :worship: wives like WW we'd all have M5's by now... damn you fate..

I get first dibs on WW's wife..:bouncy:

wildwhl
02-27-06, 10:51 PM
Not so quick, Dennis.

My wife is the primary reason I won't be at the track in April - and your wife goes with and takes pics... :nono:

Dennisscars
02-27-06, 11:05 PM
Bring her and the whole family... they're family events... it'll be fun... :bouncy:

maybe she'll talk mine into wanting to buy a M5.

I saw one at Buttonwillow this last Sat, but he was too wussie to take it on the track where the big boys were driving...:spin: