: NorthStar Supercharger!!!

96-deville-man
02-26-06, 01:06 AM
http://www.caddyinfo.com/northstarsupercharger.htm

does anybody know what happend to this? It looks really good from what i found but it hasnt been updated in 3 years anybody have some info?

heres the pics http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/northstarsuperchargerphotos.htm

danbuc
02-26-06, 02:43 AM
XMS never found anyone who could hack into the OBDII computer and tune it, so they pretty much gave up and dumped the project. I guess they figured there wasn't much point to a kit that was could only work with the OBDI cars. Of course, if the piggy back system that Mark99STS was available back then, maybe things would have turned otu differently. Unfortunately it wasn't, and so they never were able to develop a finished product.

96-deville-man
02-26-06, 03:59 PM
Ok that really sucks but o well. Thanks for the info.

SL1CK
02-26-06, 04:05 PM
Damn....really? That sucks...

eldorado1
02-26-06, 04:19 PM
Even if they did build it, they'd be lucky to get one person to buy it...

96-deville-man
02-26-06, 04:27 PM
I would find a way to buy it thats the main thing i wanna do to my to my car. But the all custom rout seems nicer. I wonder if you could replace the intake manifold with a custom twin screw setup?

ELDOminator
02-26-06, 08:20 PM
No doubt you could. May have to cut a hole in your hood, but it would work... Well, so long as you could get the computer to compensate for all that extra air, which with the stock unit, it isn't possible. I don't think...? That's the whole problem with super/turbocharging our works-of-art... The computer doesn't allow us.

If they did make a working supercharger, I'd be all over it.

96-deville-man
02-26-06, 10:27 PM
Ill see if i can do it without cutting my hood. Ill see if i can make custom mounts to lower the engine in the cradle. I have a friend thats really good at custom wiring and see if we can piggy back somthing. Now dont think this is gonna be somthing that gets done anytime soon it will be atleast 6months in the future. But i will supercharge this car.

SL1CK
02-26-06, 11:14 PM
So, all you need is someone who can hack the OBDII comp and retune it to allow more air? I'm assuming that it it CAN be hacked...then it CAN be tuned to allow more air? Am I right in making this assumption?

fubar569
02-26-06, 11:30 PM
PCM hacking = :stirpot: :thepan: :bighead: :rant2: :alchi:

and thts the short list

96-deville-man
02-27-06, 01:53 AM
It would need more air. also need to be setup to retard the timing with the boost its just to much for a stock computer. Im gonna talk to my friend and see what he can figure out about a custom piggy back set up.

ELDOminator
02-27-06, 09:11 AM
And you will also need a whole new Fuel Injection system. Stock fuel injectors will doubtfully beable to keep up with the new huge amount of air being shoved into the car, thus, losing power instead of gaining.

I was actually working with my brother to make a supercharger able to fit in any car, (custom hardware needed...) and I am planning on tryin' it out on my own... But I need to figure out how to piggyback the computer to add more air and fuel... I think... (I can't tell ya'll about this idea, cuz my brother doesn't want anyone stealin' it! :bigroll: )

MARK99STS
02-27-06, 09:18 AM
I guess you guys haven't followed my posts about turbocharging my 99 STS. Turbocharging is much more efficient than supercharging. You get more power from a turbo.

http://www.markonemtg.com/marks99sts/

96-deville-man
02-27-06, 09:21 AM
I know ill get more power from a turbo ive just always been a supercharger guy and you already turbo charged a northstar. I can get universal injectors for it and i will use msd for the ingition control and them make a piggy back for fuel i think i might know a place to make the piggy back for me gonna email them somtime.

my goal is 400 na whp and about 600 supercharged whp. so i will have to have a fully built motor a trans. im thinking that will be enought to push it into the 12s.

ELDOminator
02-27-06, 10:25 AM
I guess you guys haven't followed my posts about turbocharging my 99 STS. Turbocharging is much more efficient than supercharging. You get more power from a turbo.

Hey Mark, if I get my project done, just wait till you see it. It'll be just about as powerful as a turbocharger... But technically it's a supercharger. (It's not ran off of exhaust.)

Edit: I have read all of your posts and topics. And I congradulate you on your turbo, it's very nice! I just wanted to figure out a cheap way of doing it!

caddydaddy
02-27-06, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=ELDOminator]And you will also need a whole new Fuel Injection system. Stock fuel injectors will doubtfully beable to keep up with the new huge amount of air being shoved into the car, thus, losing power instead of gaining.
QUOTE]

That supercharger kit had a 9th injector to add extra fuel.

ELDOminator
02-27-06, 02:05 PM
That means the injection system isn't stock. :bigroll:

caddydaddy
02-27-06, 02:48 PM
That means the injection system isn't stock. :bigroll:

Well, except for the extra injector it is! That kit was made to be a simple bolt on.

SL1CK
02-27-06, 09:21 PM

Maybe, but just by LOOKING at your car alone it looks like its expensive.

1fastSTS
02-27-06, 10:48 PM
yea putting a blower on that car would be real easy if you get the proper mounting plate to fit the blower to the intake manifold. then a lot of other adjustments to how the placement of fuel rails are...etc etc... but one thing for sure is ud needa beef up the tranny...and yep no one can seem to hack the 0bdII computer...its a damn shame. DHP tuning had no problem hacking the Regal GS 3800 supercharged computer ...i wonder if someone could try contacting them and see what they say.

samm
02-27-06, 10:57 PM
mark, can we get a link that describes how you wired your OMDII for the turbo?

Bucketokarma
05-19-11, 03:05 PM
All these years, and still nobody has been able to get into the PCM? wow, the programmers at gm should work on dod mainframe systems.

Submariner409
05-19-11, 07:20 PM
Ummm...........not quite. A CF member, AJxtcman, who is a certified Cadillac Tech, worked on OBD-II FWD Northstar PCM's for a few years and essentially got nowhere. Lynden (?) Wester, of Wester's Garage in Canada has worked on the same PCM's and their price list (read it carefully) has said "coming soon" for 4 years.

And you'll notice that with the exception of MARK99STS the rest of the modders in this thread are gone with no results. All talk and no production.

Our hope springs eternal, but it hasn't happened yet...............

Submariner409
05-19-11, 07:21 PM
Sorry for the usual slow website double post - deleted.

MARK99STS
05-19-11, 09:23 PM
Hi all.

I'm still alive and kicking. Haven't been on this site in forever. Car is still running good. Finally found someone that can rebuild a 4T80E that can hold 800HP. I have a bigger turbo and am going to the track tomorrow shooting for the 10's.

Best run to date was 11.8 @ 120mph with basically stock tranny that just couldn't take it. Now have strong tranny with 3500 stall converter. Quest is for anything in the 10's.
I'm running 60lb/hr injectors at 22lbs of boost and they are about maxed out. We are estimating about 750-775hp at the crank. Took it out on the highway the other day with race gas and tune is perfect.

Wish me luck.

Ranger
05-19-11, 09:45 PM
Hey Mark, good to hear from you again and glad to hear she is still running good. That's some awesome HP! :thumbsup:

We refer to you often when someone asks about mods or supercharging. They usually give up the dream when we tell them the cost. It was north of $10,000 as I recall. The old saying still holds true, "How fast do you want to go and how much money do you have?".

STSS
05-20-11, 07:28 AM
Hi all.

I'm still alive and kicking. Haven't been on this site in forever. Car is still running good. Finally found someone that can rebuild a 4T80E that can hold 800HP. I have a bigger turbo and am going to the track tomorrow shooting for the 10's.

Best run to date was 11.8 @ 120mph with basically stock tranny that just couldn't take it. Now have strong tranny with 3500 stall converter. Quest is for anything in the 10's.
I'm running 60lb/hr injectors at 22lbs of boost and they are about maxed out. We are estimating about 750-775hp at the crank. Took it out on the highway the other day with race gas and tune is perfect.

Wish me luck.

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Video please.....

Submariner409
05-20-11, 11:53 AM
Hi all. I'm still alive and kicking. Took it out on the highway the other day with race gas and tune is perfect. Wish me luck.

You got it - plus joss sticks and incense...............Mark, just for grins and giggles - for the new guys within the past 4 years - once again post the pics of the remote work and fabrication. We try to tell some that your work is not just a drop-in swap.

Bucketokarma
05-20-11, 03:09 PM
Ummm...........not quite. A CF member, AJxtcman, who is a certified Cadillac Tech, worked on OBD-II FWD Northstar PCM's for a few years and essentially got nowhere. Lynden (?) Wester, of Wester's Garage in Canada has worked on the same PCM's and their price list (read it carefully) has said "coming soon" for 4 years.

And you'll notice that with the exception of MARK99STS the rest of the modders in this thread are gone with no results. All talk and no production.

Our hope springs eternal, but it hasn't happened yet...............

That's what I ws trying to say: it seems easier to hack into DOD mainframes than it is to get into the PCM... DANG!

When I had my '94, I was one of the people that signed up to be a donor car for the supercharger project XMS was working on. They never did get back in touch with me...

It really is a damn shame though.

MARK99STS did something completely different, and while his results are impressive, I just don't have the time, money, skills, or know-how to replicate that kind of achievement. Impressive.

pcmcalibrators
05-25-11, 11:36 AM
Wow old thread

We have been into the 00 to 03 PCM for awhile. The 96 to 99 is no problem. We have the ability to tune that PCM also.

weister42
05-28-11, 09:33 PM
Kinda bums me out that while now people can tune these cars it came a little too late as a lot of these caddies are getting up there in age and mileage.

caddydaddy
05-28-11, 11:07 PM
Kinda bums me out that while now people can tune these cars it came a little too late as a lot of these caddies are getting up there in age and mileage.

Yes, I would have loved to have done some more mods to my STS....about 100k miles ago! :(
For now, I just need to find a front motor mount that won't keep breaking!

Ranger
05-28-11, 11:30 PM
For now, I just need to find a front motor mount that won't keep breaking!

Add torque struts and the motor mounts won't give out anymore.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/175113-fabricated-torque-strut-2000-northstar.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/231023-torque-struts-2004-deville.html

GizmoQ
05-28-11, 11:47 PM

Naw, it just means some of us will have outrageous "Late model" cruisers.

shoreholden
05-31-11, 06:44 PM
Ah Hello! Im new to the forum but have been driving my cadillac for a few years now, and now Im wanting to take it to the next level. I drive a 2003 pearl white sts that I originally thought my car was Z-rated because of the tires it had on it. But after checking the codes I find it's actually W-rated? But I can tell you the car is plenty fast, and on one occasion I've done 155 in it with the only mod being a cat-back exhaust. After seeing that it is actually possible to do something with these cars in the line of forced induction, Im leaning more and more into going that route instead of nitrous. I plan on building the motor in the next few months, and got a few questions about the entire project. First of all is anyone aware of a place that sells nastier cams for the 4.6l northstar? Or am I going to have some custom made? Is it even possible to? I know I should probably be searching to answer some of these questions, but please don't flame me as Im just under some time constraints right now, and hate sifting through the forums lol. Also, so it is possible now to hack into these computers? And does anyone know someone willing do tune mine? Also does anyone have any insight on what kind of intercooler to use? And on the piping to route it all? Im well aware of the high cost of doing this, and the irrationality of putting this much money into a car this old and blah blah blah lol. But I plan on investing around $10,000 in this car in the next year or two anyways. I'm on doing a full exhaust build this weekend, and will post with results if any. Also if anyone cares to see, I have videos of racing and killing a bmw 323ci, racing and keeping up with a 5.0 mustang with several bolt-ons, and also a few highspeed runs. After I get some tires I trust a more and on a cool night I should be able to hit 155 again. I will definately post this as I can't recall seeing it on video before, and I have a feeling some people are going to doubt my claims of having ever done it before. I hope I dont seem like a nuisance with all these questions, and thanks in advance for any responses!

Submariner409
06-01-11, 03:56 PM
The short answer to your questions is "No". ............and every bit of it is discussed at great length in here, Seville, and in Discussions, Item Specific, Cadillac tech Tips.

No cams, no chips, no PCM's, no full exhaust, no headers, no throttlebodies.........no superchargers, no intercoolers, blah, blah.

Yes, for over $15,000 +++ and a few lumps and bumps, anything is possible.

The tire speed rating, and therefore the PCM speed limiter setting, is on the sticker on the driver's door. Some earlier F55 Sevilles were H or Z rated, a few are W (the later "149 mph+" tire rating).

I have no doubt your F55 STS will do 155, with enough room: Mine will easily do 143 (GPS) and has done it several times.

We ALL wanna see this "full exhaust" :cool2:.

shoreholden
06-04-11, 03:55 AM
Ahh I see.. Well after much deliberation I've decided to save my money for a while and buy an sts-v. I will however build this exhaust, with enough bending and welding I believe it looks possible. So I'll post pics of that when it's complete. That corsa exhaust looks pretty clean, hopefully mine will be able to compare to it. And yes my door sticker says W under the tire rating, does z-rated then mean anything at all over 150? I thought I read somewhere that these cars might have came with a few other additional features, one being a higher capacity radiator? Or is that all fiction? Anyways thanks for the answers! I'll get back to you after I get started on this exhaust.

Submariner409
06-04-11, 08:06 AM
The Z, W, and customer optioned cars came with a "Heavy Duty" cooling system, which includes the oil cooler in the passenger side radiator tank. This system is designed to keep the oil at about 210 degrees, the proper temp for cleanliness and flow control.

Here's the tire speed rating graph - it shows the various max recommended speeds for each tire, and our speed limiters are set according to those............

..........beware of so-called aftermarket "high flow' catalytic converters. You already have a high flow unit, stock.

GizmoQ
06-04-11, 12:38 PM
I will however build this exhaust, with enough bending and welding I believe it looks possible. So I'll post pics of that when it's complete. That corsa exhaust looks pretty clean, hopefully mine will be able to compare to it.

OBTW, on your exhaust project, you might want to give CORSA a call, they still had a few sets of the DB Series mufflers back in Jan (last I checked). I did the 3" cat-back to the split(no resonator) and 2 1/2" to the mufflers (DB Series - Red, PN8332553). I also have a set of the Black (PN8332543) sitting in my basement for when I get the blower on and tuned.

The red is their touring muffler and the black is their performance (read louder) muffler. Both eliminate the drone at highway speeds with an aggressive sound WOT. Originally designed for 03-04 Mustangs, these fit our cars almost perfectly (had to weld on the hangers is all) Sal couldn't believe how good the reds sounded, I can't wait till I can put on the blacks. Looks like you can check them all out here: http://www.corsaexhaustsystems.com/Ford-Mustang-Corsa-Muffler-p-1-c.html